Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Silos

Recruit

Question Silos

Does anyone know exactly how these work?

Just like a forester, it recharges a field.
    The greatest profit of the future is the past.

Settler
    like what a7777777122 said, it charges 1 wheat field, however u need to upgrade equal to the farm that uses that field in order to maintain a balance and not a differential loss. L3 Farm vs L1 Silo = -2 wheat loss. In this case the silo will only save you a couple hours before it runs out.

Recruit
    I have a silo next to a wheat field but it doesn't seem to get recharged - how exactly do these need to be placed in order to work?
    My placement is:
    X | F
    S | W
    X - empty
    F - Farm
    S - Silo
    W - Wheat field.

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    If the farm is a higher level than the silo, the field will deplete over time. If the farm has a shorter "Total Production Time" than the silo, the field will deplete over time. If both of these are equal, you've achieved a state of equilibrium, regardless of the actual layout you employ.

So what does "doesn't seem to get recharged" really mean? Don't expect the field's wheat content to grow, just expect it to stop decreasing, (assuming you only have one farm).

Remember that a farm 3 sectors away will walk to the field next to your silo, if that's the next closest field.

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    If you build the exact same numbers and levels of silos as farms, you would never have to build a wheat field again.

Can a silo push a wheat field past its original amount?

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    Can a silo push a wheat field past its original amount?
    Yes, but only within limits. For example, if you have a Medium Wheatfield, (400 wheat), a level 3 farm, and a level 4 silo, the farm will take the field to 397 wheat. When the silo replenishes, it'll bump it up to 401. If you sleep the farm, the silo will stop adding to the field, and it'll sit at 401.

If you had 60 level 4 silos around that same field, and the level 3 farm took it to 397 wheat, all 60 silos would add 4 wheat back, so you'd end up with 637 wheat. The silos would stop adding until the field dropped below 400.

Recruit
    Ok, I think I understand how they work now - the fields deplete slower, they don't get replenished - is this correct?

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    If I sleep a field that is at, say 250; the silo will replenish the field back up to 400. I have found that once this is done, it will go to the next field and start replenishing that one up to the maximum. But not beyond the original capacity of the field.

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    No. They will replenish if you have more levels of silo than farm, or sleep your farms.

So build a 400 field with one level 3 farm and one level 3 silo. Assuming equal distance, the field will always have 397 or 400 wheat.

If you turn off the silo, it will deplete. If you then turn off the farm and turn the silo back on, it will replenish to 400.

Reply to Thread