Reply to Thread

Thread: Vivendi takeover of Ubisoft?

Recruit
    World
    Zeus

Vivendi takeover of Ubisoft?

On a Heroes of Might and Magic (this series is also own by Ubisoft now), there is talk about the expansion for Heroes VII being delayed or cancelled.
    There is also talk about a Vivendi takeover of Ubisoft.

So, I'm wondering what this would mean for the Settlers and Might and Magic games?

Will Settlers online stay online?
    Will there be any more Settlers tradtional games (I bought several of them on GOG by the way).
    Will there be more Might and Magic games?

What do you think players?

World
    Zeus
    First things first.

Vivendi has, since its inception been a business and the nature of a capitalistic business to make money and that includes investing, selling and with that comes take-overs. Vivendi has been like this forever, branching out in different directions as it is able to do and succeed. Remember it was Vivendi who tookover Blizzard, but ended up selling it a few years ago to reduce debt. They did recently purchase Gameloft as a partial 'in' on Ubisoft. Based upon the various articles out there, Ubisoft is aware of, and creating strategies to prevent a hostile takeover. This is normal business. The fact Ubi is not rolling over tells me they are here to stay. Of course, things happen... but, since they appear to want to stay out of the clutches of (long time rivals) Vivendi, I'd not worry too much. It appears they have contingency plans to implement if Vivendi continues to push the matter.

UBI Board Elects 2 New Members

UBI Not open to merger with Vivendi
    “Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.”
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    If Vivendi really wanted to be big in games, there was an easy way to do that. Activision Blizzard. Oh wait. That's really the only comparison I can think of, and I don't remember it having much impact other than just making the behemoths involved even bigger. Now a publisher buying a developer, that often doesn't have a happy ending.

The Settlers is one of Ubisoft's biggest franchises, relatively speaking. It's no Assassin's Creed or Clancy, but it still at least makes a top list at 10+ million units. But I would question how you even quantify the success of an online game as an outsider and thus make any predictions about its future.

Veteran General
    World
    Zeus
    I loved the Might and Magic games. I've played 6, 7, and 8 on the computer and a couple on consoles. I wasn't aware they restarted the franchise. Then again, I really haven't been paying attention to games anymore.

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    I loved the Might and Magic games. I've played 6, 7, and 8 on the computer and a couple on consoles. I wasn't aware they restarted the franchise. Then again, I really haven't been paying attention to games anymore.
    Same here, also Heroes of Might and Magic...until they stabbed it, killed it, buried it, dug it back up, killed it again and tossed it on a highway.

World
    Zeus
    Bamp! Bamp! 3DO.........
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

World
    Zeus
    I am for anything that would get rid of the horrid Uplay portal.
    Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Reply to Thread