Reply to Thread

Thread: A reliable final attack for Roaring Bull

World
    Zeus

A reliable final attack for Roaring Bull

Here's a way to know in advance if your final block/attack is going to be successful.

Part of the difficulty comes from the dreaded dancing horse:

This shows up whenever there's some delay in communicating with the server. 99% of the time, it's no problem. Attacks are sent with the exact same timing as they were launched and everything goes smoothly. But in the other 1% of cases, this timing goes haywire and the results can be disastrous.

Here's the setup:

Normally these 3 generals are launched in sequence: bravo (1r tavern), wait for drums to end, then azz (1r MMA), then quickly launch MG (126r 1e 5c 138XB). It should be impossible for azz to reach the danger zone prior to bravo, the blocker, hitting the camp. Also, if this timing is followed, then it should be impossible for the 1r suicide block to finish before both azz and MG cross the danger zone. But if the dancing horse shows up, then all this timing can be lost.

Here's how to check that the timing is correct. When bravo starts walking, pay attention to his path.
    • If azz starts walking before bravo makes a turn, retreat! Azz will get intercepted before bravo hits the camp.
    • If MG isn't walking by the time bravo passes the torches and turns toward the tower, retreat! Bravo will complete his attack before MG crosses the danger zone and MG will be intercepted.

The bottom line: both attackers must start walking while the 1r suicide block is in the green area

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    If you are blocking based on the general's sounds or where your general appears to be on the map your block is never, ever going to be reliable. Server lag is a murderer.

I recall the 2 month or so epic lag with rubber banding generals after colonies were introduced. Blocks failing left an right to the point where many people stopped doing them. All those people used timed blocks or were waiting for the sound. Meanwhile I was using Evil J's style that relies on precise placement of the garrisons and life continued as normal. Not saying I had no failed blocks in that time, but those were the normal "I could mess up a wet dream" things that happen when all is good in the kingdom.

Count the steps. If your blocking general takes 8 steps to get to the camp, your attacking general must take 8 steps before it reaches the area of influence of that camp. With 1 blocks on a tavern general you get 6 steps before the block is over. If memory servers Roaring Bull is an easy 1 block as your general is only in the area of influence for 3 steps so there is some leeway.

I strongly advise that you never ever, even never, never never never block by sounds or the game's visual. When there is lag the server still gets the signals of when you clicked the mouse. When the game finally catches up it is using that for the timing, not a sound or what you see on your screen. If you placed your generals based on the steps they take to the camps and did not fall asleep or get distracted by a red ball bouncing past you, as I often do, in between sending your generals all should be good in the kingdom.
    One army. Pretty please.

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by SweaterPuppies View Post
    ...never block by sounds or the game's visual
    The problem you describe comes from confusing system timing with user timing. In this case, the sounds are used to ensure the user allows enough time between each launch and the visuals are used to evaluate the generals that have already been sent, so they both work.

Noble
    World
    Ares
    Or you can do it the lazy way. Punk your MMA with 220R and clear the first camp above the WT. Then send your MG to kill the tower.
    [11:48] davivo: I don't know why you pick on the Nords so much, they're such nice friendly folk looking for a place to raise their kids
    [11:50] aZr4el: not my fault that they carry lots of xp around and wont part with it unless you take it from their dead bodies

Reply to Thread