Reply to Thread

Thread: Steel and Iron Profitability

Recruit
    World
    Zeus

Steel and Iron Profitability

The steel and Iron profitability has been terrible even since beta. I am unsure why the devs have not addressed this or fixed it yet. It is near impossible to turn even a small profit using a steel chain.

Copper chain to bswords math: (please forgive the basic math and approximations based on a quick glance at the TO while typing this up)

24 hours level 5 with basket buff (1 bsmelter, 2bswordsmiths)
    6000 coal and 1200 ore(approx 45gc on TO)= 2400 bronze bars= 4800 bswords= 130gc approx on TO (minus basket costs)

24 hours level 5 with basket buff (1 ismelter, 1ssmelter,2sswordsmiths)

16800 Coal and 2400 iron ore(approx 365gc on TO)=1200 iron bars=1200 steel bars=1200 steel swords= which is approx 300-350gc on TO(minus basket costs)

As you can see bswords are profitable and steel is not... In fact steel is actually at a negative production rate and you would be better off scrapping the idea of having it on your island all together. Not to mention the cost of upgrading bronze compared to steel is completely different. Steel chain will drain massive amounts of gold granite and other resources while it is easy to upgrade a bronze chain with almost no effort at all.

Something needs to be changed in the production rate or the math of the steel chain.

Devs have been overlooking this since beta and I think its time they had a better look at things.

If you want you can hire me part time as a consultant to teach your staff about math and its practical use in regards to actually application of game play.

I am not trying to be rude about this but this is not the only mathematically non profitable chain in the game. The entire system is a little screwy and has not been addressed since beta. People who have completed their islands and achieved level 50 would actually have something to do if chains like steel or higher end chains were more effective and profitable for the MASSIVE upgrade costs associated with them.

My hope is to continue to better this great game.

Thanks,

Everlynn

World
    Zeus
    Just like in real life, some things are profitable and others are not.
    If something can go wrong, it will.

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    Beyond the math, I've been of the opinion for a long time that iron and steel lines are no use once you can start doing advs regularly. You'd get all the iron and steel weapons you could need from them as you generally don't loose those troops. And after elites, you don't even use them. Much better off saving all the building lics and coal to use on other chains.

World
    Zeus
    AH, true wimpy, but i think, since this is a game, the balance can be different than what real life expects of us.

i agree with Everlinn idea for increasing iron/steel mines ect. it would let the devs bring in more new products (I.e. my "Add more Islands" suggestions among others) And let us attack more adventures/PvP (whenever that comes).

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    people don't loose a lot of steel and iron swords in adv. demand is low

people get a lot of this stuff from adv... i got over 50k of both in my storage and never made the stuff... supply is high..

only way to fix this is make harder camps that can not be won with just r like some camps in nords.

or stop giving it out as a rewards..

or just never make the stuff..

same can be said about longbows, xbows, and cannons... if all we really loose is R in this game then demand will be low... i left out d swords in the hopes that PVP will make this item very valuable.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    The point I am trying to make is not really a demand issue. Even if you take the value of the final product completely out of the equation the conversion process is just completely worthless. Even if the value of the swords doubled it would still make little sense to have a steel chain running.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason0627 View Post
    people don't loose a lot of steel and iron swords in adv. demand is low

people get a lot of this stuff from adv... i got over 50k of both in my storage and never made the stuff... supply is high..

only way to fix this is make harder camps that can not be won with just r like some camps in nords.

or stop giving it out as a rewards..

or just never make the stuff..

same can be said about longbows, xbows, and cannons... if all we really loose is R in this game then demand will be low... i left out d swords in the hopes that PVP will make this item very valuable.

World
    Zeus
    Same with dama swords, Xbows and cannons.

Costs you money to make them....pointless
    Great men are not born, they are made. Through blood, sweat, tears, trials and tribulations. Tests through both their victories and their defeats. They are shaped through their experiences. Portrayed by their moralities and judgements, be they for better or worse. They do what others wont to achieve what others cant. It is their dedication, commitment and ultimate success of their goals that separates a man from a great man.

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewhitewalker View Post
    Same with dama swords, Xbows and cannons.

Costs you money to make them....pointless
    Its the case for the whole of the expert tab.

Reply to Thread