Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Building Placement Guide

Building Placement Guide

Confused on the most efficient placement of your buildings? Here is a simple way to organize your town based on acquiring overall shortest production times.

The methodology behind this is that things like the Bowyer have much longer base production times, and travel time is a much lower percentage of their production time regardless of where they are situated.

These are only organized within categories by base production times, place them according to your own priorities in-game.

Buildings that should be placed NEAR RESOURCES (To free up space near storage facilities)
    Woodcutter (Fir, Hardwood)
    Forester (Fir, Hardwood)
    Masons (Stone, Marble, etc.)
    Fishery
    Mines (Copper, Gold, etc.)

Buildings that should be placed ADJACENT TO STORAGE FACILITY
    Bakery
    Coking Plant
    Fir Sawmill
    Well
    Weaponsmith
    Copper Smelters
    Toolmakers
    Breweries
    Miller

Buildings that should be placed NEAR STORAGE FACILITY
    Bowyer
    Hard Wood Sawmill

Buildings that should be placed IN OPEN SPACE (Away from resources if possible.)
    Residences
    Tavern
    Provision's House
    Barracks
    Branch Office
    Guild House
    Wheatfield & Farm (Special case, situate them nearer to your storage facility when possible)

Nice thread Thunder, I have 1 question. What is a Bowyer? Also I don't see a reason to have wells close(adjacent) to a storage facility. Finally, altho I normally would not put a fisher near a storage facility either, in Sector 2(north of starting sector) there is a fish pool thats perfect for a fisher and also making a store house not far from it to utilize all that precious wood and speed up production times for any wood buildings you make there as well as the fisher.

I have already leveled my fisher to level 2 there and have friends buff it consistently so I can make even more buffs and reduce my total number of fishers to free up more building licenses. Hence why in the 4th sector(north east of starting sector) I put a storehouse right next to my marble masons to optimize marble production and noticed a fish pool there as well so I made a level 2 fisher there too.
    Last edited by Wallstreet; 07-30-11 at 12:01 pm.

Bowyer = Bowmaker

If your well is closer, you need less of them and you free up people, I see no reason to have them more than two "squares" away from a storage facility. Not a top priority but if you have the space (and by your second or third additional sector you will) It's a good option. I'm not a huge fan of fisheries, I mostly use my bread on population and not restocking them. Even so they already provide enough fish for buffs to buff everything important for the time I'm around in game.

The list is just a guideline for new players, obviously people have their own preferences

please note that I started my reply with "Nice thread Thunder" wasn't attacking your points and it is a good thread but I thought I should comment and note some things of interest. Of course "everyone" has their own preference, but this is an open forum and also those that make threads should be open to learning from others too... and so far as fisheries you are sorely mistaken not to optimize them, but I guess thats your choice/preference for "the time you're around the game"
    Honey Badger

Quote Originally Posted by Wallstreet View Post
    please note that I started my reply with "Nice thread Thunder" wasn't attacking your points and it is a good thread but I thought I should comment and note some things of interest. Of course "everyone" has their own preference, but this is an open forum and also those that make threads should be open to learning from others too... and so far as fisheries you are sorely mistaken not to optimize them, but I guess thats your choice/preference for "the time you're around the game"
    You seem to have taken offense to my response, I was just stating why I hadn't arranged things as you had

No offense taken, you titled this thread "Building Placement Guide" so I wanted to share how it can make sense to place fishers near storewhouses since you listed not to. I swap buffs constantly with my friends(lol ask any of them) and I never run out of buffs, double production just seems logical and the whole point for why the game was designed in such a way. By doing it the way I stated above you can keep a good stock of fish for plates and/or bread and only need 2 fishers so you can keep more building licenses free.
    Honey Badger

Yes of course when the opportunity presents itself you want resource gatherers close to storage, i agree with that

World
    Zeus
    Excellent information! I began CEO last week with some of my very tried and true strategies that had served me well in other games (like Age of Empires/Mythology... many seasons ago) and quickly learned that many of them simply did not apply in CEO. For example, having 1 settler working for each fir wood cutter (vs. being able to throw 10, 20 or more peasants to overcome a poorly placed storage location) has been a challenge for me. However, this thread has been great for me to refer back to when I am planning to layout newly available buildings... especially the "near" vs "adjacent to"!!! Thanks again for helping this old dog learn some new RULES! :-)

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    umm What about the hunter and butchers? I did not see them on the list anywhere.
    Happy Gaming Everyone !

Unregistered

Question Stable

Where should the Stable go? Near a Storehouse or no?

Reply to Thread