Reply to Thread

Thread: Some ideas that have been brewing in my head..

Settler
    World
    Ares

Some ideas that have been brewing in my head..

I've just come back recently from taking a break from the game for several months, and have been thinking a lot of some changes that could be done to the game to help it out a little bit.. My last big list I suggested had some good results come out of it, and hoping this one will as well. http://forum.thesettlersonline.net/t...xpansion-ideas

Please, keep any feedback you leave, to be a positive one, rather than just saying it's a bad idea, or something cruel (Pro vs Con comments are good, but try to give both sides equal arguments, if possible). These suggestions aren't a must be used as suggested, but to get some creative thoughts flowing.

1) I suggested this back in 2013, but am going to suggest it again. Enable the ability to demolish Stone, Marble (and now) Granite deposits. If they are running low, or in several cases, multiple are running low at once, it would allow us to demolish them and start a search for new ones. This would be very helpful to the players, when they are getting ready to logoff for the night, or before they go to work, etc. It's sad to logoff and have 7 marble deposits below 30. (Yes, I know you can buy deposit refills, but having to do that multiple times a week, doesn't work for everyone, and doesn't work for me.) I am not level 60 yet, but am told the Granite search is 8 hours. It would be nice if a granite deposit was very low, to just demolish it and do the search before bed or work.

2) I suggested this back in Sept 2015 (in the time frame of when the expansion was added). A new shop tab for Achievements. See link for my previous post, for details on what this means. It had some positive feedback.
    http://forum.thesettlersonline.net/t...chant-Shop-tab

3) Add in a way to sell lesser used adventures for Points to the shop. Ex: Sell WotS for 10pts, SotV for 15pts, VtV for 15pts, SE for 20pts. You could buy adventures from the shop, but they cost 2.5x to 10x the sell value of the adv is. So if Black Knights sold for 20pts, the buy cost could be 50-200pts. The adventures offered in the shop could be rotated out every 2-4 weeks. Also, make the adventures you buy, be untradeable. This would prevent people from buying a bulk amount of a type of adventure, to sell. It would clear out and give purpose to all those adventures people get from their adv searches, that they can't even GIVE away, while being able to get adventures they actually want to run.
    To make them untradeable, add some marker to the adventure in the coding, like if Black Knights is Adventure 31, make the untradeable version 731. Everything else everyone else sees is the same, but the icon in the star menu has a different color to it or different icon, and say Black Knights (untradeable). People could still hold onto unwanted adventures, for when an adventure comes up in the shop they want, or to give to friends/guild members, who want to buy an adv but are a few pts short, etc etc.

4) Have another big event that involves the entire server. The last event that did this (and only one that I can recall) was with the Balloons to Celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Settlers franchise. There was mixed reactions and feelings to this event. Some had very strong feelings about it (both good and bad), and some just ignored it and kept to their normal gaming. The balloons event had servers competing against each other to be top dog, which could have contributed to some of these feelings. Only thing to do is learn from the past and try again. Spit ball some ideas at BB, and make a voting pole, to see how the community feels about the idea as a whole, and to each scenario that made it past the initial idea phase. If the outcome from the community is overwhelmingly bad, then not much time and effort has been spent on it, and you know that people don't want it, and can be very educational for when adding in future additions to the game, or features.

5) Add more buildings for the water. Currently, there are only Floating Residences (I don't count the PvP castle, as it isn't really a building, just a changing piece of deco, depending on your PvP level). Maybe a water park (CANNON BALL!), which produces coins, like profit from the park. No real good ideas of actual stuff it could be, but the idea still stands, need more non-deco buildings for the water.

6) Endless Adventure (Or a long string of adventures).. You start off at a low level adventure and work your way up to tougher adventures. Have a big pool of maps it can randomly be for each difficulty range.. kind of like the PvP maps. There are a lot of different maps you can get, so no surefire way to make big detailed guides for them.. Just generic guides like, 30 Roughnecks and 50 Recruits: Use General (insert type) using troops XYZ. Have like 40+ maps made, but use an algorithm taking into account the difficulty level the player is on. So if you are on Difficulty level 2, a camp has 30 Roughnecks and 50 Recruits, but if you are on Difficulty level 7, that camp has troop types and toughness to match the level. Also, the algorithm puts in extra camps in some places, maybe removes camps in others, to mix things up with attacks and blocks.. Rewards scale with difficulty level, and maybe a time bonus?

I know, the 6th suggestion is very complex to digest, and to program, but as I said at the top of this post, these suggestions aren't necessarily meant to be used as is, but as a spring board to get creative thoughts flowing.

Thank you to those who took the time to read my suggestions/rants.

Settler
    World
    Ares
    Good ideas Kinson!

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    1)
    Kind of moot and kind of isn't, I guess. With marble I did have that problem too in the beginning until I came to the scenario you describe of having the odd amount of low deposits left and then ending up with a mess. Although we can pre-send Geo's to find deposits (and it does work if timed properly), that would leave you with geos on early cooldown and be blocked from other tasks. Ended up using my head and shifting masons around so they'll work on 1 deposit at a time (for each sector 1/3/5/8 that is) and that, along with my activity, pretty much went hand in hand that I never needed to wait very long or end up with a very low deposit that will just sit because another closer one just got discovered. Since we outgrow marble fairly fast and trading with it is kind of moot nowadays, I wouldn't be bothered anymore, but that's just me alright. Stone is trivial. Granite has indeed a 8h search time, but excessively long as it sounds, it's pretty convenient. Again as with marble, I placed my masons accordingly and that works out great. Send Jollies somewhat before going to bed and send Turtle Geos when going to bed, the downtime for granite is pretty low on my end....thanks due to the long search time no less.
    But then again I could've just said "Might as well, won't hurt the game balance" hehe.

2) Can't but agree with this, achievements have 0 value in this game (save for getting the rewards for some of them), pretty much none of them are any kind of real achievement per se, nothing to make you stand out from others and because BB likes to pour that sack of salt on the wound, nothing to make with achievement points either.

3) With the lack of desirable adventures in the merchant for map frags, it's just a moot addition at this point, sure it'll help the odd new player every so often but they will just trade trash for garbage most of the time regardless. Shredding it for some coins would be overall more beneficial to noobs if nothing else. Making such purchased adventures untradable with a unique ID is pointless though, again coming back to the lack of desirable adevntures in the merchant. Rotation isn't a thing that BB does, let alone adjust values to over/underpriced stuff. Not that they are exactly proven wrong completely, just look at the results of the current guild market vote, one has to wonder how BK makes it into the market over SA. BK is readily available as it stands, SA has some value to it based on the level requirement/XP gain.

4) I was of the couldn't care less variety. No incentive to actually attempt to compete as there was no transparancy whatsoever. It's unrealsitic to match up "new" servers to "so long established server they got so much resources to build the earth several times and then some". BBs "we balanced for that" is beyond insulting considering their history of questionable balance.

5) Git Gud and get your ship at L70, then you got your new water building haha. But yea, something else would be nice, or just gimme more floaters to fill the remaining space, I'm not that picky....unless it's another deco.

6) Something progressive like that always sounds nice, but chances are that's what Evil Queen, Ali Babas etc are there for....chains, just not progressively harder with worse rewards

Settler
    World
    Ares
    I just want to add one thing about the achievements.. And I know most people want to hit their head against something hard when they hear the name or comparison of ..

World of Warcraft has had an Achievement system since Oct 2008, and the only thing they have done, is add a ranking system to see who has the most achievement points. It's just bragging rights, or as I call it, an E-Peen contest (Mine is bigger than yours, but over the internet). Over 8 years and they haven't done anything useful with it.

It is of my opinion, that if you are going to add something like achievement points, give it a real purpose.

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    World of Warcraft has had an Achievement system since Oct 2008, and the only thing they have done, is add a ranking system to see who has the most achievement points. It's just bragging rights, or as I call it, an E-Peen contest (Mine is bigger than yours, but over the internet). Over 8 years and they haven't done anything useful with it.
    Unfamiliar with WoW's achievements, but if somebody braggs about their achievements in TSO, they have a problem, because most all of them just aren't anything epeen worthy haha

Reply to Thread