Reply to Thread

Thread: Frustrating Adventure Play

Recruit
    World
    Zeus

Frustrating Adventure Play

Since the release of the Unity version of The Settlers Online I have repeatedly found it difficult to play any adventure. Problems I repeatedly encounter are not being able to select one general over another (game tends to remember the last general you sucessfuly selected and when trying to select a different general brings up the previous selection). This causes major problems when trying to recall a general. Have also found it impossible to apply a med-pack to a wounded general, even reloading the game does not correct this issue, so you are forced to let the recovery clock run out. Finally, the near constant zone refresh delays most any action you take like assigning troops or moving a general to a new location.

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    If you let them all land and make garrisons you shouldn't get switching - I have only seen generals switch when a general's garrison is just completed. Also timing your attacks or troop assignment right after the zone refresh makes it less frustrating - slow yes.

Settler
    World
    Ares
    Sorry still having to"find ways" to make a game work after 9 years just does not cut it anymore.

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric-of-Wales View Post
    Since the release of the Unity version of The Settlers Online I have repeatedly found it difficult to play any adventure. Problems I repeatedly encounter are not being able to select one general over another (game tends to remember the last general you sucessfuly selected and when trying to select a different general brings up the previous selection). This causes major problems when trying to recall a general. Have also found it impossible to apply a med-pack to a wounded general, even reloading the game does not correct this issue, so you are forced to let the recovery clock run out. Finally, the near constant zone refresh delays most any action you take like assigning troops or moving a general to a new location.

TBH - I currently play using the Client using the method provided on the wiki. I heartily endorse anyone playing adventures in the game to do the same until BB makes sufficient progress in making Unity playable. I have helped several people get that Client mode setup and even a few people I connected to their station to show them what they need to do, with 100% success. With the Client mode, I can play the game as before the 'upgrade' an block and send generals as fast as I see fit to get as many WC's done in one session of Scouting Post/Observatory as possible and not be cramped by the HUGE limitations of Unity in its current state of adventuring.

Quote Originally Posted by Narasn View Post
    If you let them all land and make garrisons you shouldn't get switching - I have only seen generals switch when a general's garrison is just completed. Also timing your attacks or troop assignment right after the zone refresh makes it less frustrating - slow yes.

This (again) is incomplete and inaccurate information. This problem of switching focus of the generals involves the most recent activity, which includes ALL of the following items:
    1. (as you mentioned) The completion of a general landing and building his garrison.
    2. The return to a garrison by any general from an attack/block.
    3. The completion of a general relocating from one spot to another on an adventure (or home-isle).
    4. The completion of a troop assignment change to any general.
    When any of the above occurs, the focus is immediately switched to the general in question, regardless of the player's intent or selections, this change is NOT reversible, once you thought you were sending general ABC to attack camp 'C', but General 123 just got back from another attack, the general that will go to the attack is general 123.... Further, Retreating your generals is only possible (and not guaranteed) with the last general sent to an attack. Selecting other generals is not even possible at that point. This makes adventure playing quite prohibitive for the average player (slow in your description is not quite honest). Bottom line is that BB has done NOTHING to address adventuring issues since the advent of Unity. Gem collection, done; mail delivery/response - better, not great, but works; adventures, not even addressed. The focus issue is reproducible on Home Isle as well, even attacking for those who still have enemy camps on their Isle/Archipelago.

Also not addressed is the loss of medipacks and inability of retreating. Loss of these features is not excusable taking away from the foundation of adventuring, not just a petty nuisance of time, but that of troop loss, loss of time as non-stop refreshes are required, even complete rebooting of the browser, clearing cache, just to be able to see where the series of events went.
    “Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.”
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Raubhautz View Post
    TBH - I currently play using the Client using the method provided on the wiki. I heartily endorse anyone playing adventures in the game to do the same until BB makes sufficient progress in making Unity playable. I have helped several people get that Client mode setup and even a few people I connected to their station to show them what they need to do, with 100% success. With the Client mode, I can play the game as before the 'upgrade' an block and send generals as fast as I see fit to get as many WC's done in one session of Scouting Post/Observatory as possible and not be cramped by the HUGE limitations of Unity in its current state of adventuring.

This (again) is incomplete and inaccurate information. This problem of switching focus of the generals involves the most recent activity, which includes ALL of the following items:
    1. (as you mentioned) The completion of a general landing and building his garrison.
    2. The return to a garrison by any general from an attack/block.
    3. The completion of a general relocating from one spot to another on an adventure (or home-isle).
    4. The completion of a troop assignment change to any general.
    When any of the above occurs, the focus is immediately switched to the general in question, regardless of the player's intent or selections, this change is NOT reversible, once you thought you were sending general ABC to attack camp 'C', but General 123 just got back from another attack, the general that will go to the attack is general 123.... Further, Retreating your generals is only possible (and not guaranteed) with the last general sent to an attack. Selecting other generals is not even possible at that point. This makes adventure playing quite prohibitive for the average player (slow in your description is not quite honest). Bottom line is that BB has done NOTHING to address adventuring issues since the advent of Unity. Gem collection, done; mail delivery/response - better, not great, but works; adventures, not even addressed. The focus issue is reproducible on Home Isle as well, even attacking for those who still have enemy camps on their Isle/Archipelago.

Also not addressed is the loss of medipacks and inability of retreating. Loss of these features is not excusable taking away from the foundation of adventuring, not just a petty nuisance of time, but that of troop loss, loss of time as non-stop refreshes are required, even complete rebooting of the browser, clearing cache, just to be able to see where the series of events went.
    Again using the client is against the rules. You are recommending people to put their account at risk. You want to do with with your account up to you but you shouldn't be encouraging others to do that.

Also, I have been only using unity and my work around works just fine. All you need to do it pay attention otherwise.

Community Manager
    World
    Zeus
    Hello!

I decided to keep the first posts and delete everything else because it had gone too far.

Let's make it clear again, as I said before in the forum: using the client is against our rules and you run the risk of being permanently banned for using it. If you decide to use it, you do so at your own risk.

We do not control third-party websites and their content, so if you want official information please visit our forum, website, social channels, in-game chat, or simply reach me directly.

We are constantly working on the game and in the background to get the game back on track as quickly as possible.

World
    Zeus
    Well, thank you for responding. I wish that our bugs were answered with the same resolve. In Unity, it is playing the game with one hand tied behind our back and ankles in chains.

Since the 'fix' for the game is so slow, I AM and WILL continue to use the Client method. I am a fan of the game for many years now, and if you are so determined to make my gaming time miserable by offering such a shoddy option as Unity, please feel free to ban my account permanently, IDGAF any longer. I spent too much money already on this game and it is showing no signs of improvement. Seriously the way this game currently loads and plays in Unity is like a early 90's game. I do not have the best/fastest computer, but I can play many online games with no problems. The game in Client works very well. If BB needs to ban me, so be it, you cannot threaten me with a good time.

Cheers.
    “Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.”
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Trafffer View Post
    Hello!

I decided to keep the first posts and delete everything else because it had gone too far.

Let's make it clear again, as I said before in the forum: using the client is against our rules and you run the risk of being permanently banned for using it. If you decide to use it, you do so at your own risk.

We do not control third-party websites and their content, so if you want official information please visit our forum, website, social channels, in-game chat, or simply reach me directly.

We are constantly working on the game and in the background to get the game back on track as quickly as possible.
    thanks for putting this in writing where everyone can see and make their own decisions. I actually must have missed the first time this was said or else I would have just linked it.

Reply to Thread