Poll: Does this sound like a good idea

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Reply to Thread

Thread: Players as Mercenaries - A suggestion

Settler
    World
    Zeus

Question Players as Mercenaries - A suggestion

I've noticed in this type of game, it seems like there are always roughly 2 types of players: The player killers/Warmongers, and the resource builders....

The warmongers always hunt down and raid other players (normally dominating the game), and the resource builders just want to build their little community and be left alone. I think that an interesting feature to add would be to allow players to become mercenaries, hiring out their services for X number of days of protection in return for money or resources....

...anyway, just a suggestion for when the PVP becomes active. The other option would be to allow for kingdoms, and for players to come under the protection of a king, and pay tribute (and get protection). This would also open up the possibility of revolutions and other interesting quest ideas....

This seems like a very good idea. I love games where players can hire/ask other players for work. It adds a very good aspect to the game you don't see very often. I think it would be great to be able to hire somebody as a mercenary. I for one dont want to spend all my time building units with all of my hard warned resources. I am the type of player that will build all of the resource gathering buildings I can until I have a very large city, THEN start making units. (this is usually my downfall, if only there were some way to pay somebody else to defend me sigh)

Soldier
    Well...the killer and resource builder is a natural choice that these games force a player to make....and gladly so. Now..mercenaries and tribute-safety options are 2 of the reasons that make a browser game have trouble. Why? It gives a huge advantage to the people that pay LOTS of money to play the game. One of the basic characteristics of the browser game is that they have to give everybody a chance to win and Premium-Use of Gems helps reaching the objective. There are games that got in lots of trouble because of the "King protection". At that point I would prefer to pay a monthly fee to play this game....at least I wouldn't have to deal with people that, with the use of money, compensate their complete lack of playing. The idea of having somebody that can stay safe close to me for ever just because of the money he puts on the game damages me (taps my gaming) and him (he won't learn how to play as he would without the "I'll pay for my safety" option).

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    Oh, I wasn't suggesting doing it as a real world payment option, I was suggesting doing it as a player exchange type option. the "King Protection" would be similar to a guild option, but only for close neighbors, and could actually enhance gameplay if one of the "Vassal nations" decides to revolt against a kingdom and start a Civil war. The Game experience could be interesting at that point due to the fact that the kingdom would have to fight to protect itself from outside dangers, and the new threat of the rebelling nation...

This isn't an option I've ever really seen in any other game of this genre, so that's one reason i'm suggesting it. (Realize too, I'm not part of the game developers in any way, but just suggesting this to them.)

Reply to Thread