Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestion: Add an in-game notepad

Recruit

Suggestion: Add an in-game notepad

I am noticing that I will look at what I have, and realize that I need to either alter my production chain, or need to wait for resources to come in so I can set up a new production chain, but since I am limited on production que, I will have to wait.

So, time goes on, or I log off and log back in, and I forget what I was going to do.

I was wondering, could an in-game note-pad of some sort be made available?

I want to be able to write myself notes on what things I was planning on building, in what order, and maybe even at what locations. So, if you could click on a "Note Take" feature, select a piece of land, and write on that note what you want to have happen.

AND! I can either number those notes, or they could be in an order, and I can switch their order so I know what my priorities are at that time.

This make sense?

If I am limited on building que, which I use as my que for what I am doing with my game map at that time, then let me write down notes in game so I know what I am doing next when I log back in.

Thanks.

Recruit
    makes sense cept for select a piece of land part

I'm thinking he meant select a sector and make a note as to what he wants to build there next. That also makes it sound like he wants individual notes for each sector. That may be a bit much.

Willsby, I just tried it out so in the mean time you can send in game mails to yourself with all the notes you want. Or can go the easy old fashioned method of pen and paper.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/5681/signatureii.png[/IMG][/CENTER]

Or just use windows notepad

I think some people may be wanting too much from just a browser game.
    When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your **** lemons! What am I supposed to do with these!
    On hiatus from the game currently.

Do people really use Notepad still? WordPad is the way to go!

Recruit
    Well, since the game interface allows for windows to pop up or slide up, I could see a new window sliding up on the side, and the player being able to hit a button on that window, then click a space on the map, a text box appears on the side-window, player writes in what they want (ideally, what they want to do at that spot), and can repeat.

This creates a "note list."

As the player writes notes, they can decide the priority of those notes, moving them up or down. This way, a player can create an elaborate scheme of steps they want to do to make their map work the best, and keep track of it, even days later.

That help?

Couldn't you just email yourself in game?

Recruit
    I thought about it, and since you can't move the "message" screen, and carrying a paper around with me to scratch notes on sounds nice, but why not add the feature in game, it makes sense (to me) to have a window on the side that you can make notes on.

And since I am finding the game is a time sink, and I have things to do rather then stare at the same screen trying to remember what I was planning for the umpteenth time, I think this "Advanced Note-Queue" method would work.

1. You open the side window, see little slots with darkened numbers.
    2. Click on a "Note Slot," this highlights the number. A "Notes and Plans" icon appears at top of screen, along with the "Cancel" button. Click on a piece of land, highlights it. Now, you select what you want to build there, and the "Note Slot" has a number and brief description of what action you want taken there.
    3. When you select the "Note," a small window appears describing what action you want planned, with a button to "View Area" where the action is planned, and another button to "Perform Action ASAP." Clicking that button will mean once the required resources are gathered, the action will be performed.

4. You can click on a production facility (i.e. Barracks, Buffs), and select the item you want produced, go thru motion of choosing how many, and that will be added to the queue. Clicking the "Perform Action ASAP" button will wait for the required resources and then execute.

I like that I can set up my plan, feel confident with it, tell the program "Okay, this is what I want, start building," and then, if I log in later that day, the next day, a week later, all that I wanted has been done without me having to micro-manage.

(It's like in World of Warcraft and fishing. Since fishing means sitting at a place for hours and waiting, and there are times I need to walk away from the computer to use the restroom or eat, why not let fishing be an automatic skill, and when I come back to the computer, can see all the goodies that my avatar has harvested.)

Reply to Thread