Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion: Game Global chat rules made clear

Quote Originally Posted by Tarquinious View Post
    first off, if kids are playing this, it is up to their parents to monitor what the kid is doing and reading and using the ignore feature when needed.
    Second, to say someone is mentally ill or mentally unstable because of their way of "joking" or chatting is ignorant. no one fits into a small box and ONLY what you deem appropriate is what is allowed to be said. There is always a line, if it gets crossed, say something, if you do not like it... ignore them.

I have played more games than i should have and this always comes up. there is an IGNORE feature, use it. it is that simple. if someone is going off on a rambling of crap... ignore them. what else do you need to do ?
    Obviously you have no children or you are a child yourself. As a father, I carefully screen most of what my children are into. In this case I would have read the game rules before allowing my children to play. What you do miss out here is the fact that the rules may have been made out of compulsion, perhaps due to an incident which made it necessary for the rules to be created. If the game developers were targeting a larger audience to include children when making Castle Empire, then they will establish appropriate rules to meet those needs. These rules protect and endorse the rights of the game developers as well as the rights of the players. In short, it also protects the quality of the game for everyone involved. Both developers and players. No one is putting everyone into a small box. This is a free game with established rules that you elected to join. Hence you put yourself into a box (if you see it that way). When you decide to join any organization for that matter, check their rules and regulations, before you join them.

Recruit
    i have 3 kids actually, and i monitor everything they do on the net. IF i see something going on that's not appropriate, I take care of it right away. Also you have an ignore feature, use it. no matter what the rules are, if there is something you see you do not like... /ignore.. done. ranting and raving on forums or in chat does what exactly ? just because you deem something inappropriate, it does not mean that i do, or even the GM's do. /ignore and the problem is solved, yet you would rather go on and on and on trying to prove that your point is the correct point and whatever it was that was said is not to your liking. /ignore, problem solved.

So what you are saying is its better for a parent to hover over the computer while a child plays so they can individually ignore players who do not follow the established rules rather then expect the adults playing to simply follow the established rules? And what about the ladies that would rather not have to read the offensive conversations? Are they wrong in expecting others to follow the published rules? Or should they too have to choose to ignore as well? I think we both have different views on what is or is not appropriate around women and children and I feel the "ignore" button is not a solution to someone that has no respect for others.

In the end, the game rules allow members achieve a balance between getting what they want and respecting others. They allow all members get along better. Lastly, rules are effective only if they are enforced. When you decide on a rule, also decide what will happen if the rule is broken. First offense when a rule is broken may simply be a reminder of the rule and give them another chance. Further offenses may require greater action.

Recruit
    so it takes too much effort to type /ignore or hit a button ? and you may find it offensive, i may find it funny... who is right ? you have all the power in the world to get rid of anything you do not like. /ignore.

It takes less effort to respect others and follow the rules established by the game developers.

hmm, first of all +rep to adolia for a well written thread
    2) I tend to agree with Tarquinious
    3) @ ISRJimmys last comment, sure... in a perfect world but we all know that is hardly the case. You cant monitor your kids 24/7 but you should take interest in anything they do so if they are using the internet I'd definitely be monitoring chat sites they use, especially ones that are just open public such as games etc. The thing about common sense is its not that common...
    4) The developers cant patrol chat 100% of the time, therefore we will always have someone abusing rules and such and thats exactly why theres an ignore option. If that still doesnt seem like enough to make your heart content then report abuse thru the proper channels that are made available to us.
    Honey Badger

Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by adolia View Post
    People who cannot seem to fit within rules, or who feel they are exempt are usually mentally unstable or mentally ill.

That being said, there are exceptions to everything, and there are those few people who have no hope other than a lobotomy to cure their behavior problems!
    Now this statement here, offends me. does it break any rules set forth by the GMs ? or admins ? doubt it. so if 10 ppl find this offensive and 10 ppl find it spot on, who is correct ? we can banter back and forth for 10 pages and get no where, OR those of us who find this offensive or in poor taste ...we can... wait for it... IGNORE them. problem solved.

rules are fine and dandy for black and white issues, but what about the grey issues ? that is the point i am arguing at this point. but i am done arguing with you, for i can do so with the wall and get the same results, so i CHOOSE to IGNORE your posts from now on... see... simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarquinious View Post
    Now this statement here, offends me. does it break any rules set forth by the GMs ? or admins ? doubt it. so if 10 ppl find this offensive and 10 ppl find it spot on, who is correct ? we can banter back and forth for 10 pages and get no where, OR those of us who find this offensive or in poor taste ...we can... wait for it... IGNORE them. problem solved.

rules are fine and dandy for black and white issues, but what about the grey issues ? that is the point i am arguing at this point. but i am done arguing with you, for i can do so with the wall and get the same results, so i CHOOSE to IGNORE your posts from now on... see... simple.
    I did not write this post to rant and rave. I wrote it so that people who do have a problem with the chat can discuss, debate, observe, learn or simply add their opinion. That is what forums are for.

Tarquinious I agree with you for the most part, in most cases the ignore button is the best choice, both in chat and on the forums. If your children do not know how to use it, then learning how to /ignore someone would be a condition of them being able to play. You cannot monitor your children 24/7, but checking in on them every once in awhile and scrolling the chat log can tell you a lot! Including whether or not your child was participating in something offensive. It does not help to have your child totally sheltered from the real world. If you can monitor your child enough to see that they are mature enough to ignore things that are inappropriate and not participate in them, then as a parent you are doing an excellent job, gratz!

I did not post the statement about being mentally unstable or mentally ill to offend anyone. I posted it to point out that when someone goes above and beyond the rules, even after several warnings by GM's, that there is an underlying issue and arguing with them does not help. I stand by my statement. People who refuse to comply with rules usually have got a mental illness, or are mentally unstable - ie they thrive on the conflict that they cause and arguing with them only makes it worse. Notice i said usually, not always If the truth offends you I can't help that.

My point is that the chat room rules are set by the GM's, not by the players. If you do not like what is going on in chat, then use /ignore. Everyone has a different level of tolerance, and expecting a group of people to adjust to your level just because you are present is asking too much. If rules are being broken then report them (always capture the screen by hitting Shift+PrntScrn, then pasting it into paint and saving it). If the chat is not breaking rules, but you do not like the subject than ignore is the best solution.

If you are the only one talking about a certain subject and no one is participating, and people are telling you to stop, then it may be a good idea to just stop. But if a group of people are all participating and it falls within the rules, then you should respect the people who are having fun and just ignore them. The chat window can always be closed, or you could switch to your guild tab, or even the help tab.

While some may find certain subjects offensive, I find it just as offensive when someone tells me or someone else what they can and cannot say in global chat. If I am not breaking rules and just having fun with other players, then they have no right to tell me what to do. If i am offended by someone in chat i ignore them or report it. If rules are being broken I let someone know they can be banned if they do not stop, just as a warning in case they are not aware of the rules. If they continue i simply report them, then put them on ignore and let the GM's deal with it.

Bottom line: unless rules are clearly being broken, don't try to force others to change their behavior. problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by adolia View Post
    I did not post the statement about being mentally unstable or mentally ill to offend anyone. I posted it to point out that when someone goes above and beyond the rules, even after several warnings by GM's, that there is an underlying issue and arguing with them does not help. I stand by my statement. People who refuse to comply with rules usually have got a mental illness, or are mentally unstable - ie they thrive on the conflict that they cause and arguing with them only makes it worse. Notice i said usually, not always If the truth offends you I can't help that.
    If you actually believe this, you're probably mentally unstable or ill yourself.
    When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your **** lemons! What am I supposed to do with these!
    On hiatus from the game currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenzton View Post
    If you actually believe this, you're probably mentally unstable or ill yourself.
    Everyone is allowed their opinion, however if you have ever worked with people who are mentally ill you would know that one of the signs of mental illness is the inability to control ones behavior ie not able to comply to rules.

The official criteria is as follows:

Behavior that is getting in the way of life is a sign that someone should be diagnosed for possible mental illness. In the DSM-IV, the official listing of mental disorders in the U.S., this concept of a problem "getting in the way" is usually addressed with words such as "the disturbance is sufficiently severe to cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning."

So while it is my opinion, i am at least informed enough to reach a logical conclusion, not just making a random statement.
    Btw, the inability to think before you speak is another symptom of many mental illnesses.

Reply to Thread