Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 15 years of empire/city/castle/troop building has brought me here!

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Thanks for the feedback LordVarlot!

As with bergman, I don't see how your scenario would kill the market. Someone must still be willing to sell that 400 water at 1 coin, and if people are buying at 2 coins (as your example dictates) that doesn't seem likely. If fact, I think my suggestion is at least closer to what a true free market would be. I think it would have strong effects but I think most of those would be positive. Besides being able to trade more freely, I think it would bring prices down across the board making it easier for lower level players to get the things they need, when they need them.

LordVarlot
    Quote Originally Posted by bergman2021 View Post
    ok, how would having a trade market showing that someone is selling water at 2 coins per stack, and someone "else" is buying at 1 a stack, enable someone to make a mint?? What would actually happen is that the price to buy or sell water would be "set" at 1 coin per stack of water because people could post their surplus water for sale always and still be able to trade other things......some people would still be posting at 2 coins per stack and would only be able to sell at that price when the demand is really high, which is exactly what should happen in a free market situation, so you're fears are unjustified in all reality
    If the price were SET at a certain price, then there would be no bargaining, it would be like shopping at McDonalds. If you want it, you pay the marked rate. Not just for water, as I used as an example, but for all resources. Would it be interesting if you KNEW that iron swords would sell at 100 for 33 coins and buy at 32 coins ? And I am saying the SAME person would set up 2 trades, one to buy the other to sell the same resource at a 1 or 2 coin markup. It would run 24 hours a day and the player would have to do nothing but log on and see how many coins he made that day. How interesting is that ?

Recruit
    Actually I am a PvP type player and find the most active entertaining games have a real element of PvP against the resource you build and farm! so bring on the warfare!!

Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by LordVarlot View Post
    If the price were SET at a certain price, then there would be no bargaining, it would be like shopping at McDonalds. If you want it, you pay the marked rate. Not just for water, as I used as an example, but for all resources. Would it be interesting if you KNEW that iron swords would sell at 100 for 33 coins and buy at 32 coins ? And I am saying the SAME person would set up 2 trades, one to buy the other to sell the same resource at a 1 or 2 coin markup. It would run 24 hours a day and the player would have to do nothing but log on and see how many coins he made that day. How interesting is that ?
    Prices would be "SET" by the market, which is exactly the way it is now. Everything has a certain price that a majority of people buy and sell at, 1 for water, 8 for coal, 10 for beer, etc. Are there always people online selling these things at different prices?? Of course, however, it usually doesn't take to long to find at least one person selling at the price the market has "SET".

The issue i think you're missing is this: (using water as the example again) the trade market would have a page for buying and selling water...there are tons of people in the game who sell water at 1 coin per stack, therefore when you go to buy water, you look at the page and see a bunch of people selling at 1 coin per stack, say you buy every stack for sale at 1 coin (assuming you have both the coins and the storage to do so) and you then try to turn around and post ON THE SAME PAGE, that you are now selling all the water you just bought at 2 gold coins. This only works if everyone who is willing to sell at 1 gold coin is completely out of water to sell, otherwise people look at the market page/tab/section for water and see offers of water for sale at 1 coin and water for sale at 2 coins, which do you think they are going to choose??? So therefore, it is IMPOSSIBLE, for someone to "make a mint" if there was a revamped market allowing for perpetual trades and multiple trades!! It is actually only possible in the present setup for a mint to be made, because as it is now, you have to hope someone is online and the one trade that they want to post is for the thing you are looking for at the "SET" price, instead of being forced to pay an inflated price because there isn't anyone online who sells at the lower price.

Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post
    Thanks for the feedback LordVarlot!

As with bergman, I don't see how your scenario would kill the market. Someone must still be willing to sell that 400 water at 1 coin, and if people are buying at 2 coins (as your example dictates) that doesn't seem likely. If fact, I think my suggestion is at least closer to what a true free market would be. I think it would have strong effects but I think most of those would be positive. Besides being able to trade more freely, I think it would bring prices down across the board making it easier for lower level players to get the things they need, when they need them.
    Corinthian, i totally respect you're programming and gaming experience and expertise, however I don't think you are looking at the economics of a revamped market correctly. Using our water example, plenty of players sell water at 1 coin per stack (i generally buy at least 8k in water a day at this price), however if you look at the market you see people selling at 2 coins (or a higher value than one coin in some other resource) or more all the time as well. This is because of how the present market is set up, if people were allowed to post a trade for a 24hr period, or multiple trades at once, you would find prices would become much more standardized (not necessarily at 1 coin per stack of water, maybe the set or standard price would be 2 or 3 coins).

This would happen for two reasons:
    A)Everyone has a price they are willing to sell any resource at, a price they would be willing to regularly sell at, and a price that they think each resource is worth to buy at. So over the first 2-3weeks of a revamped market everyone would be posting resources for sale, and the people who are posting at the price they are willing to regularly sell at would gradually set the price for the resource. (i.e. i am willing to sell coal at 9 coins per stack, you are willing to sell at 10...everytime i log on i see that all the coal i posted and all the coal you posted has sold and the lowest price available is 10 coins per stack, after this happening a few times i probably try raising my price, if i sell it all again, 9 becomes my new price i am willing to sell at)

B)Everyone would have the same opportunity to buy/sell. Right now, with only a 10min window for a given trade, all trades can only be completed by the people who are online at that exact moment. This is basically akin to black friday conditions everyday, great deals if you are the first in line and have the resources necessary to get the deal. If trades were available for 24hrs or more, then prices become more fair because if I need something I don't have to pay whatever price is available, I would instead be able to pay a price that people offered all the time.

Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by bergman2021 View Post
    Prices would be "SET" by the market, which is exactly the way it is now. Everything has a certain price that a majority of people buy and sell at, 1 for water, 8 for coal, 10 for beer, etc. Are there always people online selling these things at different prices?? Of course, however, it usually doesn't take to long to find at least one person selling at the price the market has "SET".

The issue i think you're missing is this: (using water as the example again) the trade market would have a page for buying and selling water...there are tons of people in the game who sell water at 1 coin per stack, therefore when you go to buy water, you look at the page and see a bunch of people selling at 1 coin per stack, say you buy every stack for sale at 1 coin (assuming you have both the coins and the storage to do so) and you then try to turn around and post ON THE SAME PAGE, that you are now selling all the water you just bought at 2 gold coins. This only works if everyone who is willing to sell at 1 gold coin is completely out of water to sell, otherwise people look at the market page/tab/section for water and see offers of water for sale at 1 coin and water for sale at 2 coins, which do you think they are going to choose??? So therefore, it is IMPOSSIBLE, for someone to "make a mint" if there was a revamped market allowing for perpetual trades and multiple trades!! It is actually only possible in the present setup for a mint to be made, because as it is now, you have to hope someone is online and the one trade that they want to post is for the thing you are looking for at the "SET" price, instead of being forced to pay an inflated price because there isn't anyone online who sells at the lower price.
    I personally love the idea of a trading market as Corinthian advised. I played another game not much different from this that did just that, the option in trading really helps all players but does need a time limit.
    I think a three day time limit for a trade to be completed would be acceptable. After the time allotted was complete your trade should be taken down from the list. This would help keep the lists of trades organized and not have a million pages.
    Plus there wouldn't be any inflated prices as bergman2021 said because of everyone offering up a lower price or a more reasonable one.
    There could be a list of the resources that you look through to see the offers in a trade bar or menu. I don't see any problem with the idea and i think that it would greatly improve the game and make it easier to start up and get going.

Recruit
    The entire combat system needs to be revamped IMHO... the randomness factor is way too low right now, which means if you had excel and a couple of hours you can carefully map out exactly what sends are optimal for each camp in an adventure. It doesn't matter how many new adventures you make, if each one just takes a couple of hours to "crack".

1 simple fix is to vary the amount of units in each camps between a min and a max, that way the player running the adventure has to be able to run the math on the fly, and it makes adventures a lot more challenging.

Soldier
    i think corinthian idea of revamping the trade system is good and is long overdue-- coming from a player that buys 30k water 20k wheat 10k flour 20k copper at least every 2-3 days and have a day job. i just don't have enough time to do small trades the entire day.just my cent
    the greatest delusion of all is thinking that there is only one reality where in fact there are multiple realities based on our own perceptions...

Reply to Thread