Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: What about Moderators?

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    I think pragmatic has a good point or three. There is another game I play that has player mods and it works very well. People know that if you spam or use excessive profanity, or even talk about bans, you can be muted for some time. The way mods are picked on that game is by players who are already mods but the original mods were chosen by a few people from the admin team. They spent some time in chats seeing who was intelligent and mature and chose a few people. It would require that a couple admins would have to spend a few hours a day in global seeing how people act and making decisions on who to pick for the original mod team, but in the long run, it would be worth it. I must say, I troll in global occasionally just for fun but even I get tired of seeing 30 lines of spam over and over and over again. This would be muted immediatly in the other game I play. The offenders would be noted and other mods would know why that person was muted and, if other mods see that person being offensive again, they get longer mutes until, eventually they are muted for months at a time.

About the people posting trade offers in global and help: The game I play has a trade chat tab. Said tab has a time limiter built in. You can only post 1 message up to 2 lines long every 3 minutes. If people post things not related to trades, they are warned once then muted if it happens again. I like the current trade tab but I think a text trade chat would be more efficient and it would clean up global and help ALOT!

About help chat: I like the idea of a level limit there. Once you reach a certain level, you can no longer post unless you apply to be a greeter or mod. I think it would be a good idea to be able to still read the messages. That way, if you know an answer to a question a noob has but the greeters/mods in help don't know an answer, you can whisper the person to offer your help.

Just my take.. but who am I?

/climbing off soap box now

Recruit
    Hallo everyone, I would like to add my two cents worth if I may.

While on the surface this seems to be an excellent idea, especially since members can cover 24/7 unlike paid staff who are working office hours, the fears some of you have voiced here are real. Too often 'elite clicks' are formed and criteria for banning can be based on moderators' personal bias and/or moral compasses. However, there may be a quazi solution to the problem, and that is language filters. If the most common abusive/derogatory/sexually explicit/offensive words are replaced with let's say HUMOROUS or COMPLIMENTARY words, it could go a long way to make the actual conversation hillarious instead of offensive. As an example I live in Israel and am a potential target for many to abuse me verbally because of certain sentiments among certain people. "If someone had to call me a bloody Zionist", but instead the chat 'translates' Zionist as Patriot (which incidentally has the same basic meaning)...the sting would be removed and we could all laugh at the comment, instead of being offended, humiliated or hurt. Another example would be if someone attempted to be sexually explicit and use a word referring to certain female parts found on the chest...but the chat translates it to balloons......(grins). Can you imagine how we would laugh instead of being upset? I feel this is a non offensive benevolent block of potentially harmful, hateful and disgusting behaviour and since there is no one to 'accuse' of controlling the chat BB will also not be implied in partiality, favouritism and/or prejudice against any player. I do know there are ways people can (and probably will) attempt to circumvent these filters by adding punctuation and/or other signs as 'letters' so their own words may be displayed...but in doing so they WILLFULLY admit by their PURPOSEFUL actions to circumvent the system, that their intention was to offend, and scanning a chat will show administrators exactly who the willful perpetrators are and take appropriate action against them. Thank you for putting up with my ramblings! Shalom from Israel

NO PLAYER SHOULD HAVE ANY POWER BEYOND PLAYING THE GAME PERIOD!
    it always leads to corruption, and then do we make rules that the player cant be in a guild, or in any form of an alliance , how would other guilds know they were being treated fairly if an enemy guild is a moderator of forum or chat? how would other be able to confront or speak mind when thus said person is on in fear they might get chat banned or deleted posts ect

the simplest thing to do is make a chat filter that is auto on from start of game,a real strict one, and make it so the person has to /unfilter and then hit accept button anyone crying after that,, its your own fault, if its just the content of the chat you dont like well thats just too **** bad i dont usualy speak in global, i hardly spend any time in chat why, cause its full of drunk college kids, drunk wanna b winners, losers that have had a bad day at work, drug addicts, child molesters, politicians, psych majors, rocket scientest, wife beaters, cops, kids,mothers,fathers,skanks,scam artists, children, war lovers and war haters, god lovers and god haters, country music fans and thrasher metal fans,democrats,republicans, libertarians, ect ect ect,, ITS CALLED FREAKIN LIFE!!! deal or end yours so we dont have to deal ^^ its been no different in any of the online games ive played in 20 something years and really its not that hard to /ignore a person is it,(oh but i dont want to ignore anyone in case i miss what they say next) currently my list is EMPTY why cause i love just watching everyone cry when the lil kids poke sticks at the old people and to boot if anyone really wanted to be an a#$ they can just switch I.P's alllll day long make new accounts with new emails allll day long and log in alll day looooong lol so player mod is fail from the start already ^^
    "We are on the verge of a global transformation. All we need is the right major crisis and the nations will accept the New World Order."
    - David Rockefeller

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by courtneylee View Post
    People can't fix it. Do you know who the last person I saw volunteering to a BB to be a moderator was? ZoeytheZany. Global would end up moderated by the half the people causing the problems in Global. Which would only give them a bigger soap box to preach from.

Bans and kicking should be left to the BB team. They're about as close to impartial as you can hope to get, and in my opinion already far too lenient on a lot of the crap that gets posted. There are people who should have lifetime bans from posting in Global. You can still play the game, and whisper, and talk in guild, but have no business EVER talking in Global again.
    OMG! If Zoey the "man hater" ever got a mod position here I would leave instantly. Zoey needs to be banned from the game altogether, not be given a mod position. I sure they wouldn't even think about giving her one anyways. All BB employee's are subject to d.tests! They have a brain they use most of the time.

P.S. I totally agree with the poster above me! I knew someone who played a few different games in a company called Bigpoint. He played one of their games and raised all kinds of havoc, then signed up for another game that they came out with. They actually gave this guy a mod position in this game LOL. I so agree, NO PLAYER should ever be given a mod position or any position at all for that matter other than "player". Period.
    Last edited by Call-Me-KIng; 05-02-12 at 09:17 pm. Reason: because I wanted too

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Call-Me-KIng View Post
    OMG! If Zoey the "man hater" ever got a mod position here I would leave instantly. Zoey needs to be banned from the game altogether, not be given a mod position. I sure they wouldn't even think about giving her one anyways. All BB employee's are subject to d.tests! They have a brain they use most of the time.
    If I deserve so much hate that you clearly show for me then I must be doing something right.

All truth passes through three stages: First its ridiculed. Second it is violently opposed. Third it is accepted as being self-evident. -Schopenhauer.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    i gotta turn off chat when kids are in the room! idont let my son open chat EVER! problem solved.

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    @ Enchanted, I totally agree!

@ Zoey (the man hater) if thats what you tell yourself, thats cool, either way your still a man hater and you express your opinions about men in global chat all the time which shouldn't be tolerated. I'm not gonna quote lines that other ppl wrote as you do, because my beliefs are mine...not somebody else's. But I know one thing for sure, you wouldnt be expressing your views on "men" if blue text was in global chat. So keep telling yourself "you must be doing something right" if it helps you sleep at night.

Back to my reason for posting here.....I agree chat needs Moderators, as long as its not players who play the game, and of course as long as its not Zoey (the man hater)! Thats not hate, thats the truth!
    Last edited by Call-Me-KIng; 05-06-12 at 07:49 pm. Reason: cuz i wanted too

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Call-Me-KIng View Post
    @ Enchanted, I totally agree!

@ Zoey (the man hater) if thats what you tell yourself, thats cool, either way your still a man hater and you express your opinions about men in global chat all the time which shouldn't be tolerated. I'm not gonna quote lines that other ppl wrote as you do, because my beliefs are mine...not somebody else's. But I know one thing for sure, you wouldnt be expressing your views on "men" if blue text was in global chat. So keep telling yourself "you must be doing something right" if it helps you sleep at night.

Back to my reason for posting here.....I agree chat needs Moderators, as long as its not players who play the game, and of course as long as its not Zoey (the man hater)! Thats not hate, thats the truth!

Wisdom can be found in the works and words of others, if you fail to realize this then I pity you. As for my views and my expression of them I do not ever censor myself and always express when I wish to. Also, why would I hide anything? I do not believe my views are wrong in any form of way therefor I have no shame or fear because of them. My very signature on this very forum expresses my views which has no doubt have been seen by BlueByte employees.

I also find nothing short of amusing that you agree with Enchanted when she says this.

Quote Originally Posted by Enchanted View Post
    some people get way too bent outta shape over the silliest things and they tend to slam others just for making a simple comment.
    and

Quote Originally Posted by Enchanted View Post
    Speaking your mind is not against the Law or the TOS.. but harrassment is and shouldnt be tolerated just because One person makes 1 comment in a room and the whole room goes Nuts over it.
    Which is something that you not only support but practice and even are doing so now on the forums without any provoking, you just randomly started personally attacking me on here. Perhaps you should check your own behavior and views before passing judgement upon me.

Reply to Thread