Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: [Guide] Auction Channel, or global-2

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    i must disagree, the price of the item should be agreed upon by the seler and the buyer, NOT the auctioneer!
    i refuse to let a tryany sell my stuff, i want to squeeze the last gc outta a buy when im selling stuff, i dont want that buyer to have to bid higher than he want to because the tryant decides to ignore a bid that doesnt follow his rules.

and as a buyer, i sure dont want to be forced to bid higher than i want to because a certain tryant imposes his rules on how to bid.
    Last edited by Natkda; 08-09-12 at 05:42 pm.

World
    Zeus
    Is there some way that auctioneers with power and control issues can be screened out?
    Some are getting a little carried away.

Recruit
    It's easy come back after I'm done or get on the list & self auction your stuff!

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    been online since 8 am, its past 9:30 pm now, when will your reign end?

i need to make myself more clear, i think the person in question does a good job, i simpley disagree with his rules on bids
    Last edited by Natkda; 08-09-12 at 06:06 pm.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Where is the discussion about breaking the auctions up into 2 (or more) channels? One of the reasons for disruption is that everyone has a different level of patience. Penalizing people with less patience really isn't the right way to handle things. That is just a personality trait and they aren't going to change because someone demands it. Keeping shorter waiting lists will help. The whole purpose is that people want to buy and sell things more easily than the current trading system allows. Setting up a channel that handles the buyer and seller's needs seems to be the way to go. The only way to enforce something like this is the auctioneers. The auctioneers are volunteer players (who also have differing personalities). So I'm asking the auctioneers - those folks who are willing to volunteer and run this thing - come up with something that helps everyone out.

I'd like to hear from the auctioneers. THEY are the ones who drive this.

Recruit
    ok first off, I start auctioning at about 8 my time, then STOP at around noon. Get ASKED about 8 or so in the evening and start again until I get tired of the BS ppl try.

Now, I'm done in this thread, DON'T come posting it in the auction channel disrupting the auctions AGAIN with useless BS that is not helping the channel run smoother at all.

PS, we're working on it FerretKing

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaQT View Post
    ok first off, I start auctioning at about 8 my time, then STOP at around noon. Get ASKED about 8 or so in the evening and start again until I get tired of the BS ppl try.

Now, I'm done in this thread, DON'T come posting it in the auction channel disrupting the auctions AGAIN with useless BS that is not helping the channel run smoother at all.

PS, we're working on it FerretKing
    sounds like what your doing is more a job than a volunteer service.

Recruit
    It seems like auctions are getting weirder every day. Every auctioneer has their own set of rules. Now I appreciate the time the auctioneers put in, but I really miss when it was always increments of 5 - and that's all. Some auctioneers still do it that ways and it works great - it is argument and headache free. I know most of the auctioneers with additional rules justify them by saying they save time for everyone - but I disagree. I have never seen a five minute slug match where multiple bidders are going up by 1 or even by 5 - that is ridiculous - if you want the item you increase your bid by a larger amount in the hopes of making the other guy quit - its like poker or storage wars... those things work themselves out.

What I do see wasting time everyday is people complaining about rules and auctioneers fighting with them. Then it escalates into insults and auctioneers threatening and iggying people like soup ****'s - NO BIDS FOR YOU! - then the sellers start complaining that they do not want people (potentially the highest bidders) excluded from the auction because it will loose them money. Eventually everyone is hating each other, people who have been ignored are demanding new auctioneers, posting their own auctions, trying to start a new auction channel - it's nuts.

Auctioneers have to understand that people jump in and out of the auction channel at random - sometimes you might see something you want without knowing who the auctioneer is and throw in a quick bid that breaks a rule... Maybe you have never seen that auctioneer before and don't know their rules or maybe you are new to auctions entirely - there are many valid reasons why a person might post bids contrary to the rules of the current auctioneer. Most time people mean no disrespect initially, but when the auctioneers start telling them their bids don't count and start posting long lists of rules they get offended and things spiral out of control.

The simplest system is the best system - period. The less rules there are the less rules there are to break - there is nothing to argue about and buyers and sellers accomplish their goals - buying and selling. I wish to state that I am not singling out any particular people here - I am not mad at anyone - the last thing I want to do is cause an argument - I want to prevent them. I appreciate all our auctioneers and what they do to help our little community, we are all better off with them.

That being said I go to channel 2 to buy and sell - that is all. I should not have to know a different set of rules for every auctioneer - if I don't know their rules or mistakenly did not follow them I should not get scolded or ignored. Auctions should be like Wal-mart the store is the seller, I am the buyer the auctioneer is the cashier - they maintain the line and ring up the transaction - they don't have rules - price asked by seller = money handed over = SIMPLE SIMPLE SIMPLE.....
    Last edited by thcaok; 08-12-12 at 09:45 am.

Recruit
    Hmmm...Very intersting thread, and thanks to bombcar for his very detailed and informative post. I'm sure players who are new to the auction channel will appreciate it very much, as I did.

Now I am by no means a veteran of G2 - indeed, I rarely participate in the buying / selling action. I have auctioneered on a number of occasions however, and I have spent a lot of time just sitting and watching auctions - buyers, sellers, and other auctioneers. I do it mainly because it helps me keep track of the value of things, and also because it helped me understand the whole process of auctioning.

Every auctioneer has his or her own way of doing things. I like to act as a third party, someone who is not involved in the actual transaction, because I'm not. That's between the seller and the buyer. I insist on increments of *at least* 5 (as I believe all auctioneers do) because to not do so would lead to complete confusion (and we'd have bid wars of 'one more gc' for hours). I personally think that when an item reaches a price that is close to (or slightly above) its value, the bidding should be allowed to go up by 5 - forcing ppl to bid in 50 increments on a bid exceeding 2k will only serve to rob the seller of some potential gc.

Anyway...that was not the point of my post.

I wanted to express here, for people who have never auctioneered, or haven't been in G2 often (or long enough), how straining auctioneering can be. An auctioneer has to, at all times:

- Keep track of bets - and bidders
    - Update the chat window, reposting items for new comers who might not know what's on block
    - Keep the room peacful and effective, i.e. tell ppl to stop spamming, chatting, arguing, etc
    - Ask for a roll call once in a while
    - Keep tabs on whispers from sellers who want to be on the list (often up to 40 of them) and reply to each whisper with selling position, then notify whoever's next that their turn is up
    - Reply to whispers from sellers who are ALREADY on the list who want to know where they're at NOW
    - Manage countless whispers from people who have questions, who have grievances with their seller or buyer, who just want to know if they can sell 200 wheat, who are asking who is auctioneer, or how long the list is

...and that all at once, without missing a beat.

I for one do this gladly. I enjoy auctioneering, and everything it involves. If I got aggravated by what volunteering to auction involves, I wouldn't volunteer for it. I don't do it for tips, I do it because I have some time and I enjoy it.

I guess I wanted to post this here for two reasons.

One, if you're new to G2 and have never auctioneered and would like to try it out, the above is what you have to consider before jumping in. I would recommend you take a reasonable amount of time to observe auctions first and see how different auctioneers handle them before volunteering. And one last piece of advice: make sure you have the time, the patience and the opportunity to handle auctioneering. Don't do it if you're in a middle of an adventure, having a guild chat discussion, or playing with you kids. Sure, stuff happens, an auctioneer may have to step away, take a break once in a while, or quit because something out of their control has happened. But don't start auctioneering if there are already known distractions in your environment that will prevent you from giving it the attention the buyers and sellers deserve.

Two, this is for all of you who get impatient with auctioneers. Before you send heated whispers because the auctioneer has not gotten back to you on your position within 15 seconds of you sending a whisper, take a look at what's going on in G2. If the auctioneer is managing a 2x ls ff and handling many bids, trying to pick the top two and keep track of things, relax, let the auction pass. The auctioneer will get back to you.

I think I speak for all auctioneers when I say we're doing our best. If there's an issue, by all means, let me know. I make mistakes, I'm not perfect, and I do appreciate feedback - positive and constructive. Just do it politely and respectfully

- Star

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    I just wanted to pop in and give my two cents on a couple things I've noticed in the auction channel. I don't want to get myself in a spot with the auctioneers, since I like to come on and offload gems every so often, especially since they do a tough job on there and usually do a bang-up job.

Tonight 1 million meat deposit was a perfect example of everything that goes wrong in the auction channel. If you establish that people talking out of turn will be ignored, then for crap's sake, you have to stick with it, or I (and probably others) lose all respect for you. You're that teacher who threatens detention and threatens punishment, and threatens... but you're really just full of hot air. Observers in the auction, if the auctioneer has gone to the trouble of posting that someone has been ignored, why post their bids and further interrupt the auction? Auctioneer, why bother asking the seller if they're ok selling to an interrupter? Are you in charge, or aren't you? The next time I read all these "big man on campus" screencaps on the bad trader thread, this is the only thing that will come to my mind. Sorry, lost a ton of respect here.

TLDR; if you're friends with the seller, do whatever you want; apparently that gives you carte blanche . Sheesh.

Reply to Thread