Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Auction rules and code of ediquette

Settler
    One thing that I never see is a rule about people retracting bids. I think there is a pretty simple way to solve this. If a person retracts a bid, it reverts to the last bid and the person who retracts pays the diffrence.

ex. If I bid 250 on a lot, and some one else bids 260 and then retracts there bid, I will once again have the high bid at 250, and if the lot sells at that price, the person who bid 260 will owe the seller 10gc.

Settler
    Quote Originally Posted by HeWhoEatsRocks View Post
    For some reason I never knew that you had to bid different amounts for different pries it was just bid by 5 gc for a while when did this change and who brought on this change?
    it was changed a couple of months ago when people from the fourms started doing auctions. ImaQT was the first person that I saw do it, not sure of others did first or not. Its a prefrence likely created by auctioneers "to speed up auctions" which im sure has caused more time spent debating and fighthing than it has saved. Personally I dont like the bid incraments changeing, if its worth more some one will bid more, a few people might try and play it but its not gonna take that long. also some items might be close to there max value and worth say 5 more but not 10. This rule favors auctioneers and buyers more than sellers.
    I cant say that auction prices are down beacouse of this, but there is a corraliatoin between the too. I remember everything selling high on auctions ( good for sellers ) Now everything sells low ( good for buyers )

I am sure that the new trade system will complealy change the value of goods in game, and likely make auctions alot less nessisary.

Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by Seikatsukira View Post
    it was changed a couple of months ago when people from the fourms started doing auctions. ImaQT was the first person that I saw do it, not sure of others did first or not.
    I actually got this from two other auctioneers who were doing it and stating it was working. Now it works great, until there is the one kid who tries outbidding a 2500 bid by bidding 2505. Yes, perhaps other auctioneers did it to speed up auctions. My first auction I was an auctioneer on went something like this:
    Him: 10
    Her: 15
    Him: 20
    Her: 25
    Him: 30
    Her: 35
    It: 40
    Him: 45
    Her: 50
    Him: 55
    It: 60
    Her: 65
    Him: 70
    It: 75
    Her: 80
    Him: 85
    Her: 90
    It: 95
    Him: 100
    Her: 105
    It: 110
    Him: 115
    Her: 120
    Him: 125
    Her: 130
    It: 135
    Him: 140
    Her: 145
    Him: 150
    It: 155
    Him: 160
    Her: 165
    Him: 170
    Her: 175
    Him: 180
    It: 185
    Him: 190
    Her: 195
    Him: 200
    It: 205
    Her: 210
    Him: 215
    Her: 220
    Him: 225
    Her: 230
    It: 235
    Her: 240
    Him: 245
    It: out
    Her: 250
    Him: 255
    Her: 260
    Him: 265
    Her: 270
    Him: 275
    Her: 280
    Him: 285
    Her: 290
    Him: 295
    Her: 300
    ..... 15 minutes later
    Them: 1200
    Him: 1205
    Her: 1210
    Him: 1215
    Them: 1225
    Her: 1230
    Him: 1235
    Her: 1240
    Him: 1245
    Them: 1250
    ..... 5 minutes later
    Kid: 1500
    Her: 1505
    Him: 1510
    Kid: 1515
    Him: 1520
    Them: 1525
    ..... 5 minutes later
    Them: 1800
    Dog: 1805
    Her: 1810
    Him: 1820
    Them: 1825
    Kid: 1830
    ..... 5 minutes later
    Cat: 2500
    Dog: 2505
    Kid: 2510
    Him: 2515
    Her: 2520
    Them: 2525
    Now, even with the breaks and pauses who the hell wants to sit through that?!? Go ahead and tell me you didn't just skip right to the end typing here because you knew what was next? Then who would like losing a 3000gc auction because someone bid 3005?! If someone wants the items enough I'm sure it's worth the 25gc after 1k and the 10gc after 500.

Yes, I'm hoping the new trade system comes out soon. It should pretty much eliminate the auctions for the most part, then everyone can complain about other things. Values of items will always bounce up and down, it's called supply and demand.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    I'd have to agree with the changing rules, and the outright rudeness sometimes displayed when someone asks for clarification on rules or changes.
    Standard rules that make sense are good for auctions. But there have been some rules, for simplification purposes I'm sure, that have stretched to the point of ridiculous.

The last straw for me, was an auction on 2 loot spots. First of all, no 2 bids of the same amount. Ok, I can deal with that. The kicker was the rule that you had to bid higher than the current highest bid. That is stretched to the point of ridiculous. Say Bob bids 800, Joe bids 1800....the next person would have to bid OVER 1800.

If you can't keep track of multiple bids, separate it into 2 auctions, simple as that. Don't make ridiculous rules that punish both buyer and seller.

Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuma View Post
    I'd have to agree with the changing rules, and the outright rudeness sometimes displayed when someone asks for clarification on rules or changes.
    Standard rules that make sense are good for auctions. But there have been some rules, for simplification purposes I'm sure, that have stretched to the point of ridiculous.

The last straw for me, was an auction on 2 loot spots. First of all, no 2 bids of the same amount. Ok, I can deal with that. The kicker was the rule that you had to bid higher than the current highest bid. That is stretched to the point of ridiculous. Say Bob bids 800, Joe bids 1800....the next person would have to bid OVER 1800.

If you can't keep track of multiple bids, separate it into 2 auctions, simple as that. Don't make ridiculous rules that punish both buyer and seller.
    I totally AGREE with this!!!! I've gotten ripped off out of a BK LS because of this exact rule needing clarification on it. The auctioneer really blew that night! This rule stinks BAD

Veteran General
    World
    Zeus
    that rule can be taken advantage of. 2 bk ls no min. one person bids 100, their friend bids 1600. they just got 2 lootspots for 1700.

Soldier
    I have decided to step forward and try to unify all of the auction rules.
    Not quite sure why it hasn't been done until now.
    Perhaps, I am about to find out.
    Please, proceed into the following thread and express any thoughts that you may have.

http://forum.thesettlersonline.net/t...985#post183985

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Not sure if anyone still reads this or not but here's a good definition of a bad auctioneer:

I have removed this players identity to avoid conflict on the forum........!

[uMad] CognitiveChaos: What are the bid rules atm or are there any?
    [***] ********: not really any. just everything under 1k has to be by 5s and anything over by 25s
    [uMad] CognitiveChaos: then an up bid of 10 should not have been accepted from my 1350 to 1360
    [uMad] CognitiveChaos: tech at 1300 no bids after where valid
    [***] ********: i dont care too much. just outbid the other person is my game lol

It's this kind of auctioneer that keeps me going to private auctions. Global-2 is like this alot the only thing I do there now is sell my lootspots. Love the way imaQT runs things....! Thank you for all your hard work!
    Last edited by CognitiveChaos; 09-27-12 at 11:54 am.

Reply to Thread