Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Server Coming Back Online?

Soldier
    a hobbit tunnel in the ground under a big tree in help chat
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by mario_ro View Post
    Just an opinion.....! Maybe they got hacked?? Or got a virus in the servers (it would explain why it takes so long to fix it and the necessity of rolling back/restore to an earlier time)....
    It is possible they got hacked but when you get a system of sufficient complexity it is unfortunately true that your own can do more damage.. A lot of time its old code that worked fine when they had only a few users but can not keep up with the demands of a billion more users. Then you mix it with new code and everyone thinks its the new code and not the old because 'it always worked before'. One that took the top programmers 3 weeks to find was something that failed to release its memory when it was done (but said it did) and had worked fine for 10 years before... until it was running with a new program that actually worked correctly but used up that last bit of memory the system had and then CRASH. So they test the new code for weeks and can't find it, because it was sneakily hiding in the old code that worked with less users for ten years and was by now considered sancrosanct. And of course when the top programmer tests the fixes to the code on a test system everything works fine because you dont have a billion users sucking up all the memory. That one had to get handed up three times and was only found by the guy with the phd and twenty years experience. And it was just a 'simple mistake' with 'a tiny amount of memory' but multiplied a billion times...

The actual replacement of the data shouldn't take THAT long as they should be using faster methods then in my day. The term 'rollback' is confusing. What the admins do is 'roll forward'. You start with a blank system and then start restoring your backups. Most data loss is confined to the period of time from the last backup, at like 2am or so to when the system dies at 6pm. With a database which im sure they are using, you restore the physical data and then it also records every single command to within 3 seconds or so of the crash and it takes some time to 'replay' the commands to the database, but not that long.

Recruit
    Server was shipped to India... Just saying...

Soldier
    a hobbit tunnel in the ground under a big tree in help chat
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupling View Post
    Sadly, I have also been asked to write reports when trying to fix things.. but it always seemed reasonable to expect some timeframe (hours, a day, multiple days..)
    Most of the time I had to fix something I could make some rough estimate true. Of course if I thought it was a three day job I always said four.. but it was easier by far for me to give an estimate of something i'm building then trying to estimate what has gone wrong especially with something someone else wrote. I would have to say on the estimates that I've BEEN GIVEN for everything from computer problems to cars to plumbing that at LEAST 50% of them have been wildly off the eventual reality. Same thing happened a month ago with the air conditioning. I now treat any estimates as a time before I call them back to find out how far off reality the estimate really is. If BB told me 'its going to be in two days' I would probably spend the rest of the evening laughing because if its bad enough to take more then one day then as BB said, the estimate is going to be only wild speculation anyway. I think one of the reasons the garages always give you a short estimate is that it keeps you from having your car towed to another garage. Then when they add to more days, you say, well i guess another two days is okay. And by then, well they say its real close so another couple days.. okay i'll wait. But if they told you 'honestly we have no clue whats wrong' you would instantly remove your car to a garage that would lie more convincingly.

Retired Community Leader RomanGodCamper's Avatar
    World
    Zeus
    Hello Verdaeni!

World
    Zeus
    Nice bit of insight there Verdaeni, thankyou. Also Cheers for the responce Meesh.
    Great men are not born, they are made. Through blood, sweat, tears, trials and tribulations. Tests through both their victories and their defeats. They are shaped through their experiences. Portrayed by their moralities and judgements, be they for better or worse. They do what others wont to achieve what others cant. It is their dedication, commitment and ultimate success of their goals that separates a man from a great man.

Recruit
    why cant we just play on the Ares server?????

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    lmao, you can still go to the shop to buy gems or watch a video of how great there games are.

Recruit
    maybe they can rollback to when alphasmitey did not go 3rd person

Retired Community Leader RomanGodCamper's Avatar
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by rum151 View Post
    maybe they can rollback to when alphasmitey did not go 3rd person
    Stop spamming every thread with that >.>

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by w00ku View Post
    server was shipped to india... Just saying...
    rotflmao

Reply to Thread