Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bruce Swain's Data Competition

World
    Ares

Bruce Swain's Data Competition

Warning: Read all the way down to the bottom to avoid confusion. This competition is eligible for the first 100 posters with queuing for anyone who contributes data after this.

Hey folks. Swain here, your friendly neighborhood entrepreneur. I'm taking a DEC skill (a joke) intro-level economics class that's mandatory for me to complete my major. So for one of the papers I've decided to track data I've cataloged in a completely player-ran economy (of people that I am sure aren't economics or marketing majors) with few variables. I've followed the trend of value in GC over the past several weeks since I began playing on this server. Now, I'm going to see how players are faring.

For this competition, you need to post the following information:

• Maximum population cap.
    • Maximum storage cap.
    • Primary industry (what you produce the most).
    • Your age.
    • What you do for a living/what you major(ed) in. If you are a Student and unemployed/not in college list that.
    • The reward that you want for posting (see below).

You can opt out of providing any of these things, but if you do you will receive half of the reward for posting data. If you post accurate data, I will reward you in-game with any one of the following pending you are at least level 17 and own a Trading Office:

• 100 Longbows
    • 300 Horses
    • 400 Marble
    • 400 Hardwood Planks
    • 800 Tools
    • 800 Fish
    • 1,000 Pinewood Logs
    • 1,000 Pinewood Planks
    • 1,000 Stone

Remember opting out of providing any field of information will result in a half reward. The data you provide will go into a pool of data and how the trends in economy have been affecting players. I can generally assume that players with the highest storage or population are faring the best, as they have the economy to sustain using licenses towards this. Of course there are skews in this data (gem usage), but I am not including this in my paper.

For the top players who have the highest population cap or highest storage cap, there are additional rewards. This is in addition to the requested reward.

Now, if you have the highest population, the additional reward is a stimulus steed package of 6,000 Horses (that is 15 stacks of mare).

1st Place: 6,000 Horses
    2nd Place: 2,000 Horses
    3rd Place: 800 Horses

If you have the highest storage cap, the additional reward is a stimulus construction package of 3,200 Marble and 3,200 Hardwood Planks (that is 8 stacks of both).

1st Place: 3,200 Marble & 3,200 Hardwood Planks
    2nd Place: 1,200 Marble & 1,200 Hardwood Planks
    3rd Place: 400 Marble & 400 Hardwood Planks

If by some crazy chance there is a tie in either, there will be a split of reward.

To confirm the winners I will examine your island to make sure that the numbers match up. Failure to allow me to inspect will result in a void in prize and the runner up receiving your reward.

Now listen, because this is very important. I only need 100 samples of data. Anything after that I will disregard. I don't need an overwhelming amount of data, so that is an important tidbit of info. If you want to post just for fun, then by all means. If there is a null set of data in any of the first 100 posts, I will go to the next in queue if there's more than that.

That's all. This will run until Friday, October 12th @ 12:00PM noon EST or until I have 100 samples of data. To make things easy, I will make myself available during various times after the competition to reward contributors. I will list these times when I get the chance. Usually when I'm 'online' I just leave the client up and running and I'm not actually at my computer. This will be the easiest way for you to claim your reward.

Also, I am looking for bread. I am linking my trading thread here, in the hopes that you need something and can trade me bread. This is the link to my trading emporium. If you want to buy with GC, then by all means. This competition was not meant to advertise my wares. I have more than enough GC to bide myself over. This wealth is something already known by a lot of my peers.

Best regards,
    • Swain

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    First! There's gotta be a bonus for that...

• 160 (though I actually have 190 still after destroying residences)
    • Marble & HWP
    • Manage content dev team, MGMT
    • 300 Horsies plz!

Recruit
    I guess I'm second.

• 1100 or 1,100
    • Copper & Fish
    • I am a 8th grade student and play sports I guess that's what I do for a living?
    • 400 Marble

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    I'm Third

• Water, Wheat, Bread
    • IT degree, IT job
    • Horses and/or marble/HWP

Recruit
    Guess i just Millie

• Bronze-swords Bread Brew(nearly forgot elite wheat)
    • ieek
    •Housewife.
    • declined

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    *Fish, Marble, HWP
    *Tech Support
    *Tools

• Fish, Coal (but mostly a prefect balance of everything)
    • DirecTV
    • Tools

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    • Bread
    • Software Engineer
    • decline - dont need anything on list

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    pwp-water -fish