Reply to Thread

Thread: Geologist Tweak - Minor Fix to a common problem

Recruit
    World
    Zeus

Geologist Tweak - Minor Fix to a common problem

Just a minor issue with geologists I'm hoping you could look into!

An example of how it currently works: I noticed a copper mine was at 1 Copper, and 8 seconds from depletion. Sent the geologist to find copper. The mine depleted. The geologist found nothing a few mins later.

Seems the success of the geologist is determined at the very beginning of the search. Would it be possible to make it run the query at the end?

Thanks for your consideration!

BaronFeyd

Noble
    computer chair atm, but always at home in my head
    World
    Zeus
    i've believe i've heard that what you suggest is how it used to be, and they changed it to how it is now. no idea why they would, so i could be wrong on that.
    'during times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' -george orwell-

those who see the crime, and say nothing, are just as guilty as the criminal

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    actually I have run into this as well.

On top of this, I've had it happen in a slightly different manner with coal and iron mines.

Example: I have 5 mines running, 1 that broke so I send out a geo to find it. While the geo is away, another mine collapses, so I send out another geo to find a 2nd coal mine. However, when the first geo comes back, he finds the 2nd coal mine to deplete rather than the first he was sent out to find.

This makes people think they can send a geo out before a mine collapses to find the source again, but in reality, you cannot. As BaronFeyd explained, the geo finds nothing. That is the way it works if there is only one source to find and the geo was sent before it collapsed.

Because of this I stopped sending a geo out before a mine collapses. In the case of iron and coal however, this is often unavoidable if there are multiple mines collapsed or on the verge of collapsing.

Noble
    computer chair atm, but always at home in my head
    World
    Zeus
    hmm, maybe he decides which depo he will find halfway through his search. or 1/4 through? this would make sense for it working with coal and iron mines as described above, as the search time is much longer than with copper. if he decides which depo hes finding halfway through the search, and another coal mine depletes soon after you send him, then it becomes very possible he could find the 2nd depo to deplete.
    'during times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' -george orwell-

those who see the crime, and say nothing, are just as guilty as the criminal

Retired Community Leader RomanGodCamper's Avatar
    World
    Zeus
    I didn't read everything.

But, You have to have the mine collasped and then send the Geologist out or else he won't find it.

So please wait until after the depoist depleted so that then you wont having to waste time.

World
    Zeus
    With copper I have noticed that you must wait for the mine to be completely collapsed or else the geo won't find it.

With coal, iron, and even marble, you can send your geo out while the mine is still working, but near exhaustion. I've been doing this for almost a year and my geos find new deposits even if I send them out before the mine is dead.

However, having said this, there is a "point of no return" where your geo will not find a new deposit if sent while the mine is still working.

For example, I send my geos out on a 4 hour coal search when the mine has 2-3 hours worth of deposit left, and he will find the new deposit no problem. But if I send my geo out with say 3.5 hours of coal left, he may not find the new deposit, even though the mine ran out while he was searching. So you have to find the fulcrum point for each resource where your geo will find a new deposit even though you sent him early.

I send my geo for coal with about 2 hours left in the deposit. I don't usually send him early for iron because if my iron deposit is low I just destroy it for a few extra resources. For marble I send him out with about 10-15 minutes worth of marble left in a deposit.

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    There was a bit of an exploit on the Geologist.

You could send out a geologist to find a deposit before it was collapsed if:
    - There was another collapsed deposit at the time the geologist was sent
    - The deposit collapsed before any other geologist found the last collapsed deposit.

This feature seems to have been recently sealed with one of the updates.

World
    Zeus
    When I am ready to log off, I send a slow geologist to search for iron deposits even if if all my mines are running. If i have 2 mines close to depleation then I send 2 geos. Many times when I return hours later I find one or two iron deposits ready to have a mine build. Last time this happened was yesterday. I am not sure what makes this work sometimes.
    If something can go wrong, it will.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    To my mind this seems to be a programer's domain. If BB has more than one programmer working on developing the game, and each progamer is working on a different aspect of the game, and one programer made the command to find a deposit at the beginning of the search and another programer made the demand to find the deposit at the end of the time allowed for the search then you would have the above situation occur for each differrent type of deposit. The game opperates the way it is programmed to operate. More than one programer could cause more than one type of response. Now if I could only get a programer to tell me why I always get e wood instead of granite when I have a 50/50 chance of either I would be happy.

Reply to Thread