Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Proposed Removal of Guild Leader Unfair Theft!

World
    Zeus
    Frankly, I don't know how having the ability to relinquish guild ownership became the ability for the guild to forceably remove a guild leader. I do think this is fine if the guild leader left instructions for specific guildies to take over the guild in the event that the guild leader doesn't return.
    Founder "Father" of The Deities (DIT) Guild
    Motto: Determination, Integrity, Teamwork
    Official Tree: The Sequoia Redwood
    Official Animal: The Ox

tigereye468
    I wasn’t saying none of what I said was done but I figured revamping the entire guild system I should mention things that would carry over as well as the new stuff so a complete picture of what it would look like afterwards would be described. That way no one would wonder “what about this or that?”.

It is true that right now, most guilds let members in for free. Now let us look at the consequences of this policy. Many people join a guild, and then don’t participate. The effect this has is that they risk nothing by joining and because they have not had to contribute anything, don’t feel obligated to participate unless they want to. Lack of participation simply means they may get booted out of the guild at some point by the guild leader and again they haven’t really lost anything since they didn’t invest anything to start with. On the other hand, the effect this has on the participating guild members is this: the guild grows, thus the required number of participants to complete guild quests also grows. But with non-participating players, this places a heavier burden on those participating members to complete the guild quests and often the guild quest does not get completed because it lacks 1 or 2 participants who did not complete their guild quest and thus everyone in the guild does not get the additional 56 guild coins they would have had beyond the 8 or 9 they got for doing their own quests because the guild itself did not reach the required number of guild members completing their own individual quest.

Now on the other hand, if all players were required to pay resources, (whether it be gold coins, hardwood planks or gems or whatever) they then have a personal investment in the guild. This amount should be comparable to the cost of a major building or upgrade. Something not to be taken lightly and that you will think about before purchasing guild membership. Nothing in life or in this game is gotten for free. Why should guild membership be any different? If you just want someone to trade with and chat with that is why we have an “add a friend” list, a guild is and should be more than an automatic “buddy list” thus there should be a required investment representing a personal stake for the new guild member. This will also result in the new guild member wanting to get their money’s worth (or resource’s or gem’s worth) so they will be more involved and more likely to participate in guild quests and other guild related activities. This would be an improvement over this existing system as the guild leader of my guild I’m sure would agree because it would save him from having us all on probation currently for not doing guild quests and regularly asking those of us who are on if we have seen so-and-so?

As for #2, I agree there aren’t really any secrets in this game. However, in game secrets could be developed as I alluded to by the guild specializing in the production of certain items that have enhanced qualities (such as the steel sword example I mentioned in my original post). Although not really a secret, it would have the same effect of what guild secrets were back in the old days when guilds were prevalent in society before corporations and trademarks and patents.

#3 Apprentice, Journeyman, and Master Craftsmen were the titles of the three levels used in guilds in the past and I just borrowed the terms. I never meant to say or imply that they were a new creation that I originated. That is one of those things that most likely would carry over with little change.

#4 actually relates to #1. Unlike a building that you invest resources in and then use for a while and after some time you may tear down because it has out worn its usefulness or build up to level 5 and are done with it because you have taken it as far as it can go, a guild should last and be ongoing and have continued interest rather than fading into the background of newer and brighter things. As a result, by continuing to pay membership dues, on a yearly basis (or whatever frequency, though I would recommend not any more frequently than quarterly at most and in my opinion even that often is pushing it), guild members would stay dedicated to the guild by regularly investing their own resources of whatever nature into it at stated intervals. If they decide that guild membership is not worth the investment they can leave and stay out of a guild or find another where they feel they will get a better value for what suits their capabilities and needs, but dedicated to their guild they would be and they would have a loyalty to what they have invested in and worked to be a part of. Further it is not a tax and it is not a scam, it serves a specific purpose and is not just a grab of money or resources.

On a different note, I agree that there should be guild specific buildings that can only be constructed by a guild. I mentioned this in the form of a guild adventure, but can also be extended to buildings that exist on the guild member’s islands as well.

#5 It is true that being of a higher rank right now does not matter, but we are talking about a way of revamping/restructuring/recreating the guilds. As such, there would be changes and guild vs guild competition can be part of that. With any restructuring, having a higher rank can give you greater capabilities within the guild and thus become more important to a player. The added powers that comes with being a Journeyman instead of an Apprentice, and the greatest powers that come from being a Master Craftsman rather than a Journeyman, would be an incentive to aspire for the higher level and as I mentioned before, the application fee for that higher grade could be akin to the fees you pay to upgrade an existing building from level 1 through level 5.

I hope this reply clarified and further explained a few points. Let me know if there are any other questions and I'll try to answer those as I'm able.

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by tigereye468 View Post

It is true that right now, most guilds let members in for free. Now let us look at the consequences of this policy. Many people join a guild, and then don’t participate. The effect this has is that they risk nothing by joining and because they have not had to contribute anything, don’t feel obligated to participate unless they want to. Lack of participation simply means they may get booted out of the guild at some point by the guild leader and again they haven’t really lost anything since they did not invest anything to start with. On the other hand, the effect this has on the participating guild members is this: the guild grows, thus the required number of participants to complete guild quests also grows. But with non-participating players, this places a heavier burden on those participating members to complete the guild quests and often the guild quest does not get completed because it lacks 1 or 2 participants who did not complete their guild quest and thus everyone in the guild does not get the additional 56 guild coins they would have had beyond the 8 or 9 they got for doing their own quests because the guild itself did not reach the required number of guild members completing their own individual quest.
    I couldn't agree more. However the expensive resources you are suggesting is a let down to new players.

A better idea would be a "rent" or a "rent-to-own" set-up, that way new players can still join, without having to be rich.

And always, a member is a investment. No matter how high you make them pay, remember that they are part of your team, not a cash cow.

tigereye468
    I have seen where the game adjusts requirements based upon the player's level, for someone who is just starting out the resources could be in pine logs or stone. Something affordable but valuable to a low level/new player. Using more higher priced materials for more experienced players.

Reply to Thread