Reply to Thread

Thread: Dysfunctional Test Island

Retired Community Leader
    World
    Ares

Dysfunctional Test Island

While it is a given that the island provided to the players on the test server is for the purpose of testing the new functions of the game, the economy of the island that comes up with each reset does not provide a very good environment for a testing platform. While all of the buildings provided come fully leveled, it seems more as if these buildings were added without any thought to how an island would be balanced in order to get to that point. While there may be limitations on what is provided, such as not having deposits or regular mines in place, there are places where a bit of thought would allow people to focus on actually testing the new features.

The foremost example of this is the wheat chain. Ideally, the number of farms and silos should be the same to maintain useable fields. Instead, there 15 lvl5 farms and 6 lvl5 silos, with the obvious results that the tester will have to spend time and/or resources on trying to maintain production. They were kind enough to provide 4 lvl5 stables; however as it takes 4 farms to maintain each stable, there are not enough farms to run the stables even with no other demands for wheat. But we also have 4 lvl5 mills and 3 lvl4 breweries, requiring 8 farms for the former and 6 farms for the later. Seems that a reasonable player would have realized that he is woefully deficient in farms to provide for his core system, much less be ready to use an imaginary excess for testing. This is similarly true with the demands for pinewood and hardwood logs, as well as coal. The coal requirements of the island are not even slightly met compared to the expected usage, unless the idea is that at every reset, turn off everything you may not need for that specific test.

While mines and deposits are left off for discovering, there are things that can make it much easier for the player. A pair of Endless Cooper Mines go a long way to keep people from having to waste testing time buying these mines and then upgrading to whatever is needed to keep those systems going. If there were equivalents for iron, gold, marble, and stone, I would encourage them to be preplaced as well. That way, the players are not sitting and trying to upgrade multiple buildings just to get the island functional enough to be a test platform.

I don't think we should be looking at playing on the test server, and asking for bonuses is rather ridiculous, at it erases on a regular basis. However, it would be much more productive if players did not have spend time and resources that should be used for test, on maintaining the island as something at least quasi-functional.

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    Consider posting this over at the forums for the testing server where the feedback is requested: http://forum.tsotesting.com/

Threads that were started there that brought up this issue (and some with responses from BBs):
    Island set-up
    The island set-up, items provided and testing goals thread :P
    time to quite test server

This was posted by BB_SlasH on 12/19/2012 but nothing has happened to date

Quote Originally Posted by BB_SlasH
    We have chosen an island built by a user for one of the next account resets. But this will not happen before early next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_SlasH
    I am very sorry to say that, but the new island setup will not come before Easter. We simply do not have the time and manpower to do it. But we will not forget about it, I promise!
    Last edited by Txch; 10-25-13 at 05:20 am. Reason: Added quotes

World
    Zeus
    I have complained about this before, very well done aurboth!

BB's, i request that tsotesting.com server to be updated with a cleaned up island, with little/no decorations that are permant, that way we testers can get to the core of the testing, instead of having to spend a day or two balancing our islands, that are just going to be wiped!

I get that the BB's want the tester to grow in his/hers island, but i cant be on every day, much less play in the real world and test.

Now Asiastrings loves how the island is set up, and if you test you most likely know her. She is the top tester in TSO.

But, it wouldn't hurt for a better island, at the very least get the core resources balanced.

T_D, Proud member of Fire & Rain [RAIN]

Mayor
    World
    Zeus
    LOL Try starting at lvl1 each time with NO goodies e-mail like it use to be.

World
    Zeus
    Thats not what we are asking, we still want a fully loaded island, but this time, economy balanced.

World
    Zeus
    This post belongs on the test server forums.

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by EpsilonSilver View Post
    This post belongs on the test server forums.
    picky picky

Reply to Thread