Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Trade Scammers

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueHead View Post
    So how is that going to hurt UBI, either or they would have gotten scammed, but now they have the ability to catch and ban scammers which would lead us eventually to a scammer free community, not sure i understand your point
    They've ALWAYS had the ability to catch & ban scammers. That's been against the CoC for a long time. The change now is that the scam victim is not allowed to run to the forums & publicly denounce someone as a scammer.

So all the doom & gloomers, who are also experts at sociology & human behavioral patterns, are convinced that BB has screwed up. LOL. Probably not.

Settler
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueHead View Post
    So how is that going to hurt UBI, either or they would have gotten scammed, but now they have the ability to catch and ban scammers which would lead us eventually to a scammer free community, not sure i understand your point
    My point was that by the time BlueByte catches and bans the scammers the noobs that were scammed will most likely have lost their resources and quit. Most noobs probably don't know how to file a report or that they even can file a report. Players that aren't given a chance to develop and level aren't going to spend any real money, which is how the new COC could potentially hurt BlueByte. However, when players in Trade Chat alert the folks in that chat that a certain offer or post is suspicious the noob would probably proceed a bit more cautiously, not lose his or her resources, have a chance to develop and level, gain more interest in the game and hopefully spend some real money to support it.

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    Big difference between observing in chat that a trade is suspicious vs. going into the forum & posting, "XXX is a scammer." BB recognizes the differences between those two scenarios, and as a result, one is allowed & the other is not, (anymore).

Veteran General
    World
    Zeus
    BBs never really enforced their rules against scammers, this is the first time i have heard of them saying that scammers will be banned

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    I wouldn't know what they have/haven't done, but that's somewhat immaterial, as they take care to NOT share the details of a player's situation with others. I know I've heard of people being banned, and while I can't think of one related to scamming, it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. The point is that in many cases, people could be banned without anyone ever knowing. After all, the absence of a player who is known to scam could be the result of a scam, or the player quitting the game. The results are the same to other players; the scammer is gone.

Veteran General
    World
    Zeus
    thats cool psaltery, this is the first time ive heard of something like that and it is nice to know that BB do take action against scammers. only concern i have is- Will they (BB) be fast enough to catch and ban the scammer before they act again (without us being able to publicly accuse them of scamming and warning others). But i think they did this so people cannot call someone a scammer and try to ruin their reputation when in fact no scam occurred.

Retired Community Leader RomanGodCamper's Avatar
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by psaltery View Post
    Yes they look into reports of scamming, and I know for a fact they do ban people for it. A while back there was someone friending people then sending them reverse trades, hoping players would miss it in the middle of accepting many trades at a time. Several of us set up a sting to catch him in the act and got screenshots of him doing it. He's now perma banned
    Interesting.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    Most of us who play this game also have respect for other players. We need to be able to communicate to each other when someone is scamming or taking advantage of newbs

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    I have to disagree with you, Rawren.

I understand the desire to avoid petty drama and cheesy whinefests, but all that aside, a code of silence benefits the offender immensely. If bandit A knows he can scam noobs B, C, D, etc, and can get them banned if they say ANYthing about it in public, then A is emboldened and, in a sense, empowered in his actions. A will succeed substantially within the game's parameters, while most of the rest of the alphabet will fade into inactivity and quit. Meanwhile, since only a serious player would go to the effort to farm noobs in this game's format, it is likely that these bandits are paying customers.
    The logical conclusion to that is detrimental to UBI's reputation as well as their wider profitability.
    To make matters worse, you lay out a method of recourse which is outside of all probability. How many noobs would know to keep screen shots of every private trade? I didn't even know how those worked until a guild member explained them. The least you could do in enacting this CoC is to code some kind of archive of private trades and lock it to prevent users from deleting anything they don't want known. Then in any case of accusation, all an admin would have to do is pull up the archive and there it would be. I don't see an archive like that being implemented.
    Let's extrapolate such a rule outside of the game . . . Think of how it would be if we were forbidden to discuss disreputable merchants IRL. Car makers would still be making hatchbacks with gas tanks prone to explode in rear-end collisions (buyer beware, right? but HOW?), and milk packages wouldn't be able to promise the absence of "questionably" harmful processes in the production of their milk. OTC medications would have the same likelihood of bad integrity as patent medicines and street drugs.
    The surest way to empower, entrench and encourage an undesirable action is to enact a code of silence to protect it.
    I, for one, do not think this change will benefit the community.
    =S=

Mayor
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by psaltery View Post
    Question: What about guild hoppers? There are players whose intent is to take advantage of guild members' generosity. They get what the can from a guild then leave and join the next group. I know many guilds give away resources to their members, with the 'pay it forward' philosophy. Shouldn't we have a way to warn other guilds about people who take advantage?
    +1.. sometimes, scams happen in guilds, like one I heard about someone running away with 800 eggs, which were being passed around between guild members for the easter quest.

Closed Thread