Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Trade Scammers

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Strannyuk View Post
    I have to disagree with you, Rawren.

I understand the desire to avoid petty drama and cheesy whinefests, but all that aside, a code of silence benefits the offender immensely. If bandit A knows he can scam noobs B, C, D, etc, and can get them banned if they say ANYthing about it in public, then A is emboldened and, in a sense, empowered in his actions. A will succeed substantially within the game's parameters, while most of the rest of the alphabet will fade into inactivity and quit. Meanwhile, since only a serious player would go to the effort to farm noobs in this game's format, it is likely that these bandits are paying customers.
    The logical conclusion to that is detrimental to UBI's reputation as well as their wider profitability.
    To make matters worse, you lay out a method of recourse which is outside of all probability. How many noobs would know to keep screen shots of every private trade? I didn't even know how those worked until a guild member explained them. The least you could do in enacting this CoC is to code some kind of archive of private trades and lock it to prevent users from deleting anything they don't want known. Then in any case of accusation, all an admin would have to do is pull up the archive and there it would be. I don't see an archive like that being implemented.
    Let's extrapolate such a rule outside of the game . . . Think of how it would be if we were forbidden to discuss disreputable merchants IRL. Car makers would still be making hatchbacks with gas tanks prone to explode in rear-end collisions (buyer beware, right? but HOW?), and milk packages wouldn't be able to promise the absence of "questionably" harmful processes in the production of their milk. OTC medications would have the same likelihood of bad integrity as patent medicines and street drugs.
    The surest way to empower, entrench and encourage an undesirable action is to enact a code of silence to protect it.
    I, for one, do not think this change will benefit the community.
    =S=
    Taking the extrapolation to outside examples ... Think how happier Richard Jewell would be if the FBI hadn't been allowed to falsely accuse him of planting a bomb during the Atlanta Olympics. Or perhaps Shirley Sherrod would still be at work at the Dept of Agriculture, if a blogger hadn't been allowed to edit a video of her that cast her in an unflattering light. Or on a larger scale, how many lives would be saved, if the accusations of WMDs in Iraq were silenced before war was declared?

I don't support scammers, have never scammed anyone, and so far as I can recall, I've never been scammed either. But I'm 100% supportive of BB saying that as trades are private transactions between two players, the results are private as well. And if there's an issue where one participant dislikes the outcome, the appropriate avenue for recourse is BB support, NOT the forums, or public chat areas. They didn't address email or PMs, so you can draw your own conclusions around those mediums.

World
    Zeus
    My opinion is that trade scams should be allowed.

That's more like real life.

In real life you can get ripped off.

I'm not talking credit card fraud here.

Caveat Emptor. Let my free market be free. Let me trade whatever I want for whatever I can get.

The market will correct itself as the people who get burned on deals learn not to deal with scammers like me.

They will soon learn that real life does not babysit your every transaction and interaction.

Stop trying to create a non-real environment in the trade.

Let the buyer beware.

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    Name shaming invites controversy into the Trade tab and or Forum.

An innocent player could be shamed.

The majority of players want fair and honest trade, there is a common unity in that belief.

It is the Market which is free. How we use the market has rules.

This is our game.

Let the scammer beware.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    A code of silence never made anything better. The game is based in Europe, where it is less likely this would be understood, but in the USA, we regard freedom of speech as a basic right, one worth protecting.

World
    Zeus
    no freedom of speech on a private server. u sign away that right when u agree to their terms of service and play
    Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat. ~Robert A. Heinlein

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Strannyuk View Post
    A code of silence never made anything better. The game is based in Europe, where it is less likely this would be understood, but in the USA, we regard freedom of speech as a basic right, one worth protecting.
    That's kind of offensive, to any reasonably educated person.

I'm in the USA, and I strongly endorse this ban on public shaming. Freedom of speech has NOTHING to do with this. Understand what that means before bringing it into this conversation. It has to do with the US government's limits on what speech they can prevent, nothing to do with agreements between private parties.

Settler
    World
    Ares
    Seems like every time that this comes up the only people who are in support of the current policies are the scammers and cheats. And I really don't care what their opinions are ;-)

World
    Zeus
    My smart arse thought is: Caveat Emptor
    If something can go wrong, it will.

World
    Zeus
    wimpy, I don't think they teach basic Latin in the schools anymore
    translation for the young: Let the buyer beware. (be aware, know who u are dealing with and what prices are)
    Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat. ~Robert A. Heinlein

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirkjon View Post
    Seems like every time that this comes up the only people who are in support of the current policies are the scammers and cheats. And I really don't care what their opinions are ;-)
    That's beyond offensive. How awesome that you can discount dissenting opinions by saying I'm a cheater. Let me know when you find the person I've cheated. I'll be over here, not holding my breath.

Closed Thread