Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: About those village schools...

Veteran General
    World
    Zeus
    The ability to upgrade a non-upgradable building is unprecedented. thus - special considerations are needed given this is a LIMITED item. forever at a disadvantage because they changed their word.
    More of the same "new" content with a different bow? I will give more of the "same" towards my gem accumulation.

Retired Community Leader
    World
    Ares
    I am sorry if my original post could be implied that I believe negative action should be taken towards anyone who did buy it, nor was it to be implied that the company representatives who work with us should be held at fault for the change. However, many people did make their decision on where to spend their event currency in relation to this item, and the people who are looked to for advice, and referring to players, not moderators, gave the advice that would still be given had there not been a dramatic change in the structure of the building.

Since there was a change, if Blue Byte wanted to ameliorate some of the negativity that will occur when the improved schools do finally reach the playing environment, one solution could be to add them back into an upcoming event, purchasable for the event currency. I would suggest that the limit of the building be shared with the previous event; this should not penalize anyone who purchased the buildings before. One foreseeable problem would be the increased demand of event currency, as there would be more things of value to be purchased. However, people will have the opportunity to purchase event currency, as with all previous events, and would have the option of spending more on this event where they may not have made that decision on the previous. It might even generate some extra revenue, which would be an added bonus to the positive public relations of giving players a second chance to get something that they missed before.

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconus2004 View Post
    The ability to upgrade a non-upgradable building is unprecedented. thus - special considerations are needed given this is a LIMITED item. forever at a disadvantage because they changed their word.
    I don't know that I completely agree with this. When the Provision House & Barracks debuted, there was no way to buf them to improve their performance. That was added later. I know that's not completely the same thing, but there are similarities. Some functionality was released, and at a later time, improved. Big deal. I guess the alternative would be to let things stagnate, but we'd probably hear complaints about that too.

Retired Community Leader
    World
    Ares
    I am not sure of the parallelism between the barracks / provision house and the village schools changes. The former are fairly integral to the game and created as part of the normal process of playing. You can obtain exactly one of each, and you can't lose the opportunity to get them. The event village schools are special purchase and will not recur in game until October, assuming they use the same event products again; and even then people will have really missed their chance for the previous ones. The most important change is that what was generally acknowledged as a fairly useless building, which no one who can look at the mathematics involve would buy, is now a very reasonable, even desirable, product to buy. And effectively penalizing thoughtful players who otherwise would spend money on the game is not a good marketing practice.

Retired Community Leader RomanGodCamper's Avatar
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by aurboth View Post
    I am not sure of the parallelism between the barracks / provision house and the village schools changes. The former are fairly integral to the game and created as part of the normal process of playing. You can obtain exactly one of each, and you can't lose the opportunity to get them.
    Not entirely true. Ever sense 2011, The Game play between the Barracks and Provision house has changed.

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by aurboth View Post
    I am not sure of the parallelism between the barracks / provision house and the village schools changes. The former are fairly integral to the game and created as part of the normal process of playing. You can obtain exactly one of each, and you can't lose the opportunity to get them. The event village schools are special purchase and will not recur in game until October, assuming they use the same event products again; and even then people will have really missed their chance for the previous ones. The most important change is that what was generally acknowledged as a fairly useless building, which no one who can look at the mathematics involve would buy, is now a very reasonable, even desirable, product to buy. And effectively penalizing thoughtful players who otherwise would spend money on the game is not a good marketing practice.
    I'm pretty darn good at math, and I own these buildings. A good number of people own so these buildings as well. It may be recalculate your understanding of people may or may not do.

As to the the basic theme of the thread, I understand your grievance, but I don't agree with it. The game evolves, it's different in many ways from when I started 2.5 years ago. Make decisions based on what you know, and move on. Adapt as things change. Just not that big a deal.

Furthermore, as there's no competition between you and me, or anyone else in the game, there's no concept of penalty. We just end up with different islands. Which, we already had.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    It was a toss-up for me between Silo's and Schools, I ended up buying schools because I figured I could always trade for Silo's later. Got lucky there. Happy to hear that Schools will eventually be upgrade-able, It would be great if they were made trade-able as well.

Veteran General
    World
    Zeus
    As someone that never picked up a school, I'm okay with this. I can still get 3, and it's not like we'll ever get PvP. Given that this can have a large effect on the whole bread chain, they probably may need to up the leveling costs though.

Retired Community Leader
    World
    Ares
    Perhaps an easier solution would be to simply classify the new version of the schools as a new building, in the same way that the enhanced silo is a new building with the same purpose. It would prevent bugs from occurring when attempting to change one existing building to another, something that was not really possible in test. Those who purchased buildings in the past would get the same functionality as they always have, so they would not lose anything in the same way that those who have silos now do not lose by a more efficient version being available. Blue Byte would also be able to sell the newer schools to everyone who wanted one, which would compensate for people not being able to buy extras.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    The patch notes from the last maintenance said that village schools were now upgradable. No upgrade is possible on the school I own. I also tried demolishing and rebuilding it. Is this a bug or are the upgrades only available on schools purchased after the applicable maintenance?

Reply to Thread