Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Improved silo best layout

Recruit
    World
    Ares

Improved silo best layout

I'm trying to find info as to whats the best layout for the new improved silos.

For exemple, in this picture, the farms are perfectly balanced:

But didn't found any info on the new ones. Went on the test server for some tests, but they are missing from the merchant menu, no idea why.
    Guild: Fortress

Mayor
    World
    Zeus
    well thier plan was to make it a limited time item and the whole settler community around the world revolted. but as for the new ones instead of the 12min production time it's 4 now and you lose the travel time between cycles. as for place ment thats something you'll have to play with to get what you think is best balanced for your needs

World
    Ares
    Change is difficult :P
    Still around from time to time.

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    They should come up with a tradable buff that costs 1500 gems and converts a silo into an improved silo.

Then sell it for 5000 magic beanstalks

Veteran General
    World
    Zeus
    I currently work with an 11/4 ratio. 11 farms per 4 improved silos, with the improved silos in the optimal walk-time locations. For 3 fields I have exactly 11 farms, 4 improved silos feeding into each field. The 4th field I have 22 farms, 8 improved silos.

I posted a screenshot with my 22/8 layout (not exactly optimal on farms, given i am also trying to maximize space.

So I have 55 farms, with silos and fields taking up a total of 79 2x2 squares.

More of the same "new" content with a different bow? I will give more of the "same" towards my gem accumulation.

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    19 farms = 7 imp silos
    12 farms = 4 imp silos + 1 old silo
    11 Farms = 4 imp silos
    8 farms = 3 imp silos

You kinda get the idea, but it's a heuristic, and that's the problem with the buggers. And your geometry matters as well. With the old silos, as long as you thought of silo-and-farm-pairs, each with the same travel time, you were golden. Now you have to balance the travel-times within the system along with the production/usage. You could easily use the heuristic ratios above and put the silos in the best spots but that doesn't max your yield within the geometry. For that, it takes a lot of fiddly work -- I constructed a simulator with a spreadsheet so I could play with what-if scenarios to find the best arrangement for farms/silos to max production within the geometry, to figure out the impact of different storehouse placement vs lost space, etc., but I've got guildies who opt for silos over-production just to avoid the headaches.

Point is: they're easy to use but no so easy to use optimally.

I've 6 wheat-fields (each wheat-field has a farm/silo geometry), two of which share symbiotic storehouses. I'm fully removing 2 of them, scaling down another while adding 6 farms. 4 field geometries (2 symbiotic), 58 farms, 21 Imp Silos, 1 original silo, 80 plots used. Translating that is almost impossible as each wheat-field and attendant buildings form a balanced whole, let alone the symbiotic geometries.

Veteran General
    World
    Zeus
    best-case i got was 2.77 farms per silo, with the 11/4 ratio being at 2.75. That is as efficient as i could get them.
    More of the same "new" content with a different bow? I will give more of the "same" towards my gem accumulation.

Veteran General
    World
    Zeus
    Here is my sector 3 - packed pretty much as efficiently as you can build in that sector. Even though everything is crammed in, I have 11 farms 4 silos exactly feeding each of the 3 fields.

33 farms/12 silos total.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Wondering if anyone might have advice for someone who is probably never going to have more than 1 (one) improved silo? Looking for the optimal setup. I have noticed that the storehouses seem have less travel if accessed through the southeast?

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    It's all about travel time. The closer the field/storehouse/silo are, the more efficient they will be. Technically, a storehouse's front leading onto a field with the silo on one side or other of the storehouse should be the most efficient; however, it's a poor overall configuration. Of course "poor" is relative. There are several constraints to consider: space used, farm efficiency, silo efficiency, & production needs are the biggies. Alter one of the constraints and it the entire equation alters.

Due to the triple-travel-time, placing the imp silo most efficiently is critical. These things are such a pain in the *** that it also means you have to place normal silos oddly in order to balance out their deficiencies, rather than just balancing their travel time against a companion farm. If you want to be certain, without overdoing it, you have to add up all the travel times on one side vs the other (farms vs silos) and make sure they're as close as possible (per field) and the silos at parity or winning by a hair.

Reply to Thread