Reply to Thread

Thread: Unintended consequences

World
    Zeus

Unintended consequences

I have been playing TSO since July 2011 during the closed beta. The game was known then as Castle Empire. It has been a fun game to play, at least for me. There have been many changes, new things and updates. Many quite nice. Some a waste of time and effort. However in the last 12 months or so we find an increasing number of bugs and problems. These are not getting better, they are now getting much worse. Why is this?
    It is my opinion that the developers are completely ignoring the Rule of Unintended Consequences when they make changes. The effect of this is that when a change is made, something else stops working right. Some are rather minor, like the arrow in the White Castle. Others can be quite serious. Like the ability to logon to the game, being dropped from the game and losing stuff.

The test server should make it possible to eliminate a good percentage of these unintended consequences. But this is not the case. We have heard of problems showing up on the test server and rather than being fixed they are introduced into the main game. Why is this happening. One possible reason for this might be the lack of manpower. It is my guess that there are fewer developers now than in the past. Everything is now "rush" "get it done". It is also my guess that there has been a significant loss of income. There are fewer players now that ever before. The loss of players is evident when you look at the postings in the forum.

I don't have all the answers but I do know that it behooves the developers to pay close attention the the Law of Unintended Consequences. Doing this may keep Murphy's Law from causing additional damage.

Wimpy
    If something can go wrong, it will.

Mayor
    World
    Zeus
    well said wimpy almost all bugs that show up in test make it to live (like the slider issue) although they are brought up in test forums all we get is a closed thread or threats of bannings. i too enjoy the game but the direction the company seems to be heading in is to kill off the game.

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    The original programmers probably quit or were replaced to cut costs or something. I don't know, I'm just pulling things out of my ***.

Veteran General
    World
    Zeus
    yep or they cute the funding by a lot. why post issues when bb threatens a ban. its like there trying to keep it a secret.
    so bb do u ever fix problems in tso?. spoiler no they don't

World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by jackrack500 View Post
    yep or they cute the funding by a lot. why post issues when bb threatens a ban. its like there trying to keep it a secret.
    rofl
    Still around from time to time.

World
    Zeus
    It sure is not getting better. I have never had so much trouble getting the game to load. The last few days I have had delays as long a 15 min waiting. Before trying I use my CClear program to clear out everything. All other webs sites loand normal, very quickly.

Another unintended consequence?

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    I've been playing longer than you, Wimpy (but not by much... June 2011), and I've NEVER experienced long delays when logging on. Login times have been the same (and quite fast) for me for the past weeks if not months. So not sure if it is an isolated issue. Just indicating that I'm not experiencing the same problems.

World
    Zeus
    That is what I don't understand. I too have had no trouble logging on until just the last week. Everything on my system is the lastest upgrade and I clear everything out before I try. After several trys with no results, suddenly a quick log on. Very strange.

World
    Zeus
    Well it looks like I have to stop playing. I have joined the crowd who can't long on. Sent info to support and they wanted more which I sent but since it is Sunday I don't expect a reply for a while.

Veteran General
    World
    Zeus
    carful this is not the right thread to talk about this. bb has banned me cause of it. been 2 months still cant play
    so bb do u ever fix problems in tso?. spoiler no they don't

Reply to Thread