Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Community Moderators

World
    Zeus

Community Moderators

I don't see a tread on this yet so, I'd like to know what you all think about it, and who you'd choose for a CM if you had the choice.
    I just feel that we should have some input since how we are the ones who's been playing this game for years now, and know how people act when they get upset or frustrated. lol.. we don't need angry kids with hammers running around.

Personally I don't like the idea at all, but I kinda saw this day coming. I guess if I would nominate anybody it would probably be Melorr. As far as i know she's not guild bias, she knows global better than anybody, and therefore knows how to sift the jokesters from the trouble makers.

I really hope this doesn't turn into a PvP CM guild battles, and I don't really trust anybody who 'wants' this power. I find it disturbing.

So, what do you all think?
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
    lol gotta love it

Mayor
    World
    Zeus
    it seems the company has given up. it probably won't be too long before they axe one of the US servers

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by G_F_M View Post
    it seems the company has given up. it probably won't be too long before they axe one of the US servers
    yup. much less mod activity, lack of real contests, creation of CLs and chat mods...these things show that settlers is broke and/or losing money and is being abandoned. i checked out the soccer event on test and there seems to be a trend in the game towards focusing on the players who spend big money. this means the game will likely be around for awhile longer, but will become less enjoyable for free players and those who only occasionally put money into it. there are a few other ubisoft games that have gone this route retaining few casual players while keeping the 'whales' to pay for upkeep and maint, etc.

Settler
    World
    Ares
    I personally do not see the need for "volunteer mods". Ive been around many internet chat forums and (Ares) is one of if not the best mannered forum Ive seen. However having said that there are obviously disruptions on occaisions and the player base needs a place to go to for "quick" help.
    But having the power in the hands of someone "looking for power and recognition" (or a wannabe as I call them) seldom works. At least with the CL job description you could make a case that they will have some real responsibilities but you cant do that with the "chat mods".

Aqua-Dogs statement "I really hope this doesn't turn into a PvP CM guild battles, and I don't really trust anybody who 'wants' this power. I find it disturbing. "
    hits the nail right on the head. An example already in the game is guild leaders. So many want to be a leader but so many fail.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    I don't really see the need to have designated "chat mods". I thought this was one of the duties of the CLs seeing as they have more direct contact with the BBs. Beyond the normal /report function. But even before the CL program there have been players (myself included) that try to moderate the chat rooms a little. Such as reminding players not to post trade offers in help tab.

Settler
    World
    Ares
    I mailed to ask questions but no response yet but the idea of some of these people having that power disturbs me. The BB's don't know any of us well enough, especially since they are rarely here anymore, to choose one that wont play favorites somehow or another. I already see with CL's some have gotten "big heads" and/or arent here either. Also a couple that don't like conflict therefore refuse to deal with issues. If this program goes thru and I have to listen to certain people on a power trip I will take what little money I have elsewhere. I find this whole idea pretty disturbing as do most of you I notice

Veteran General
    World
    Zeus
    not sure what FinderWyvernspur thought the CL program was, but i knew when i voted for CL that they did not have anymore power compared to a regular player. I think that BB needs to choose the volunteer chat mods wisely (more than they did the CLs, no offense). I think that the decision of who becomes the volunteer chat mods will make or break this game.

World
    Zeus
    I'm against this idea, and here's why.

I've been a volunteer chat mod on 2 games, because I loved the games and wanted to keep the disruptor trolls out of chat. I rarely had to formally warn or ban people, other than the occasional 'i came here to offend people' multi accounts. Yet the experience as a whole was very difficult.

You're caught in the middle, expected to uphold the rules as unbiased as possible, yet hated by players for being an enforcer. I tried my best to be fair, listen to both sides and help resolve disputes, ask people nicely to stop what they're doing in chat. Even when you word things very carefully, players don't like being called out, even in whisper, for any reason. If it's a game employee, that's one thing. But if it's another player...the player mod is going to be accused of bias no matter what they do.

Even the most well intentioned player...is still a player. We enjoy the game and are loyal for various reasons, which include social ones. Every single player has friends, and has people they may not like or that may not like them. We've probably all made mistakes or had misunderstandings along the way. That's human nature. How could any player NOT be accused of playing favorites, no matter how hard they try to be fair?

I don't think BB realizes the situation they're wanting to put players in. The CL are expected to help people, don't have ban powers, and they catch flack from other players. How much worse will it be for player mods?
    Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat. ~Robert A. Heinlein

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by psaltery View Post
    The CL are expected to help people, don't have ban powers, and they catch flack from other players. How much worse will it be for player mods?
    This is a very good point, however, as the new chat mod I offer to:

1. Rarely be around
    2. Stay out of global-1
    3. Occasionally troll and tell people to shut the front door
    4. Refrain from banning anyone

Thank you for your votes.

World
    Zeus
    Well the way I see it is that they are preparing to have the BB's play a much smaller role cause our severs are not making enough money to support them. That being said I think CM's 'will' happen, for better or worse, (probably worse) and we won't have a choice in this. But we might be able to help them pick who they will chose to be CM if we nominate somebody. But even this could be guild bias/ favoritism... idk

I agree with what psaltery said...
    I don't think BB realizes the situation they're wanting to put players in. The CL are expected to help people, don't have ban powers, and they catch flack from other players. How much worse will it be for player mods?
    ...but this is something that I feel 'will' happen, and we should try our best to get the right person for the job or we're all going to be screwed
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
    lol gotta love it

Reply to Thread