Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: uncomprehensible instructions for new beginners

Recruit
    World
    Zeus

uncomprehensible instructions for new beginners

While I appreciate the time, effort and well meaning intentions of individuals trying to explain how to play settlers online. I do have some concerns/complaints.

I consider myself to be of average intelligence; however, for the life of me I cannot find instructions on the most basic of game plays such as how to find and adventure. Which are the easiest for new players and which are the more difficult. When I finally found some adventures, no instructions on where to click to begin.

This is not only about adventures. I am also talking about the most basic of instructions for playing the game. The use of abbreviations which is pervasive in the game. The official guides for new players are also sadly lacking in plain English. For those who get tired trying to decipher the lingo used and the difficulty in playing the game, they just leave the site, which is too bad as there appears to be many long term players exchanging pleasantries and no newbies who have the courage to ask questions on the global or guild chat lines. Also, some will say we will help you if you are having a problem and then when you ask for help you almost feel like there is an attitude in the answer.

playerslights

Veteran General
    World
    Zeus
    you will find help for those basic things in Help Tab

Settler
    World
    Ares
    Also take a look at cempire.org and thesettlersonlinewiki

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    I noticed the same thing when I started. So, the first thing I did was to turn to Google. The more I learned, the more pointed and informed my questions became, and Google was able to churn out many answers...without an attitude.

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    I agree that searching is both helpful and necessary, though it does nothing to address the fact that there are people who believe that every single thing in the game can be abbreviated into two or three letters, even single words. If I have to research a post to try to figure out what the heck it says, it's probably not worth the effort.

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwalben View Post
    I agree that searching is both helpful and necessary, though it does nothing to address the fact that there are people who believe that every single thing in the game can be abbreviated into two or three letters, even single words. If I have to research a post to try to figure out what the heck it says, it's probably not worth the effort.
    Do you mean something like, "wts bk ls ff" or "wtt beans for ish?" If so, then sorry, that is on the newbs. That is so much easier to type than "I want to sell Black Knights lootspot and it is fast finish which means I will finish after you tag, which means I will finish after you have sent your general and attacked a camp and no I will not explain what a lootspot is." Or "I want to trade magic beans (the items that drop on Fairy Tale adventures. Fairy Tale adventures are advanced adventures for level 44 and up, like Valiant Little Tailor, Clever Little Tailor, Betrayed Little Tailor, Heroic Little Tailor. You get Valiant Little Tailor from Adventure search. Adventure search is when you send an explorer out for adventures. Explorers are bought from....o, nevermind."

If you mean basic game mechanics other than ppl's (see what i did there?) shorthand, than i agree with blaqvenom:
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqVenom View Post
    I noticed the same thing when I started. So, the first thing I did was to turn to Google. The more I learned, the more pointed and informed my questions became, and Google was able to churn out many answers...without an attitude.
    There is also cempire, settlerswiki, etc. Any followup questions can be made in help tab.

If you don't understand "wts bk ls ff" than I don't want you tagging my adventure.

Veteran General
    World
    Zeus
    Varies which guide. some are not designed for new players. Or do you mean the quests that BB has?
    More of the same "new" content with a different bow? I will give more of the "same" towards my gem accumulation.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    My gosh...I came into this thread because I am a new player and had some questions that seemed to fall into this thread. After reading the replies of plyers in the know, however, I am amazed at the hostility being shown. Someone stated the abbr language was difficult to understand when you're new...the reply was, too bad newbie, it's on you. Seriously?? Then they went into a line of abbr chat and there is no way someone just starting out could ever figure that out. Oh, and they said, don't ask what a lootspot is, because they weren't about to tell you. Really?? wtf! This game is not worth dealing with this kind of attitude. I know my comments will spawn more nasty replies, but don't bother, I've already left the game.

Melorr
    http://forum.thesettlersonline.net/t...t=abbreviation

this might have helped at the time.

Melorr
    Quote Originally Posted by playerslights View Post
    While I appreciate the time, effort and well meaning intentions of individuals trying to explain how to play settlers online. I do have some concerns/complaints.

I consider myself to be of average intelligence; however, for the life of me I cannot find instructions on the most basic of game plays such as how to find and adventure. Which are the easiest for new players and which are the more difficult. When I finally found some adventures, no instructions on where to click to begin.

This is not only about adventures. I am also talking about the most basic of instructions for playing the game. The use of abbreviations which is pervasive in the game. The official guides for new players are also sadly lacking in plain English. For those who get tired trying to decipher the lingo used and the difficulty in playing the game, they just leave the site, which is too bad as there appears to be many long term players exchanging pleasantries and no newbies who have the courage to ask questions on the global or guild chat lines. Also, some will say we will help you if you are having a problem and then when you ask for help you almost feel like there is an attitude in the answer.

playerslights
    I found that cempire.org and settlersonlinewiki.eu both cover a lot of the information your looking for. Give them a look.

Reply to Thread