Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who's Your Team? [CLOSED]

Retired Community Manager
    World
    Zeus

Who's Your Team? [CLOSED]

During our worldwide championship event, your Settlers will band together to take on rival teams such as the Barony of Tepidwater or the indomitable Shire of Oxwater. But no one's ever written a biography on "That one random team that took on the reigning champions." Teams need names and identities, especially your own team!

DESCRIPTION
    In the "Who's Your Team" contest, you will get to create the story of your very own home team. This is a writing contest but for those who prefer art; never fear - we also have a "Design your Team Flag" for those of you with more artsy inclinations.

Some questions to consider when creating your team:
    1. Who's the founder of your team?
    2. How'd you come up with your team name?
    3. Are there any standout players in your team?
    4. Is your team the long-reigning champions or the underdogs?

RULES
    • Entries can be 500-3000 words long.
    • Entries can be accompanied by pictures or videos, though to keep it fair, these will not be taken into account when determining the winner.
    • Players under the age of 13 must get parental permission to participate.
    • One contribution per player.

PRIZES
    • 1st Place: 1,000 gems
    • 2nd Place: 800 gems
    • 3rd Place (2 winners): 500 gems
    • Honorable Mention (3 winners): 300 gems

DATES
    • The contest will run from June 13th to July 13th.
    • The Ubisoft/Blue Byte team chooses the winners
    • The winners will be announced within 2 weeks after the participation deadline.
    • The rewards will be sent to the winner's game accounts as soon as possible after announcing the results.
    • Announcement of winners
      Participants agree that Ubisoft/Blue Byte is allowed to announce the winners and present their submitted pictures. Real names will not be used for the publication, but nicknames, game world and language version. The pictures will be stored on Ubisoft/Blue Byte servers to present the contributions that won a reward. Channels that might be used for announcing the winners and for presenting the contributions are international websites, forums, Facebook groups and Twitter channels managed by Ubisoft/Blue Byte (especially “The Settlers Online” channels).
    Last edited by BB_Rawren; 06-13-14 at 06:26 am.
    **Retired**

Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook | Contact Support

Recruit
    World
    Ares

Recruit
    World
    Ares

Recruit
    World
    Ares

Settler
    World
    Ares
    Regarding the John Axe Getacornas, founded and led by the team’s striker, Stone Mason (537 words):

Besides the Annealers, whose copper jersey is discussed in the Pennant Design contest, John Axe Island fields an intriguing second team. Stone Mason played for the Manics for five years before losing his spot on the team. A ferociously talented header, he came to John Axe Island seeking to join the Annealers. Instead, he was offered all the support he needed to field a second team for the Island. He was given unrestrained control over his team’s strategy and player composition, in deference to his obvious skill at heading the ball.

Mason sought players who would feed him balls to head, and who had promise at heading. He would teach the latter what he knew. Mason found three players who had good heading skills he could refine. They assured he was not overly defended when receiving a corner kick.

Mason looked for additional key skills and found them in six players:

First, he wanted two stellar fullbacks who with an adequate goalie would let the rest his team focus on offense. One fullback quickly emerged as a fan favorite: JIm “Roadblock” Pediment. His size combined with rapid closing speed meant few forwards evaded him.

Second, Mason sought two forwards who could force corner kicks. He found two with speed and adequate ball control – enough to let them drive the ball deep and then off a guarding opponent’s legs. The left forward, Rick “Rampage” Ochet, dominated his corner of the pitch. Fans soon appreciated his penchant for ignoring the goalie and focusing instead on the opponent in front of him, as he sought the best time to careen the ball off the opponent’s legs and over the goal line for a corner kick.

Third, Mason searched for two players who could deliver corner kicks, but with different styles. He found treasures for the corner arc in DrAc “Needle-Threader” Urate, and MEl “Cloud-Piercer” Evate. Urate reliably kicked low corners which arrived within two yards of his target. Evate lofted balls too far for the typical goalie to come out to get them, but always in front of the goal. The penalty arc was his favorite target.

Stone Mason eventually devoted 90% of the team’s practice time to corner kicks. Come game day, the fans did not mind. They knew to patiently wait for Rampage or the other forward to drive the ball toward the goal line. Then they would implore “Get the Corner”. If one happened, they boisterously cheered the team until the ball was kicked. Then there was silence as they watched the ball’s flight and destination.

When Mason asked his team to name themselves, their answer was unanimous. They shortened “Get the Corner” to become the “Getacornas”.

You might ask, are the Getacornas long-reigning champions or perpetual underdogs? Let’s just say their fans don’t care if they lose. They live for games where the Getacornas score ten or more goals. Win-loss records mean nothing to them. They instead enjoy the treat of an occasional blowout. So while most teams strive to use 2-1 wins to gain the playoffs, the Getacornas seek ping pong matches with susceptible goalies. Their fans love them for it.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Let me tell you a little about the Rockets. We were just a bunch of factory worker's playing on the weekends with our families and some friends. Sure we had people tell us we were good and should go professional, but we'd just laughed it off saying we just enjoyed playing the game. Andy, one of our best players and a notorious dreamer, had taken it to heart. He would always tell us, "You know we could do this, play in the world cup. We should try out and get a sponsor.

Well, we'd humor Andy and say, "Sure, someday we will have to give that a try and the discussion would go into our fanciful dreams of winning the world cup. It was a nice dream and we enjoyed talking about it. At the time, I think Andy was the only one who really took it to heart though.
    We played like this for a few years until one day Andy looked at me with this determined look and said,"You know how we always play and say someday we will get a sponsor and make it to the world cup? I want to actually do it!" At first I thought we were going to start back in on our fanciful ideas of winning the cup, but then Andy added," I've been having some headaches recently and I've seen a doctor about them. He says I have a malignant tumor and I'm just not gonna make it another year. I just want to do this one thing we've always talked about before..." There were tears in his eyes and he just couldn't finish.

I was skeptical at first, but this was my friend Andy. He had helped me find this job when my family was in a really bad place. He was always the first to volunteer his time to help the church and Andy was just the type of guy that was always there when you needed him. There was no way I was going to let him down when he needed me. So I told him," You know Andy, if this is what you want, lets do it!".

Several weeks past and after thousands of calls we just couldn't find a sponsor. I didn't have the heart to tell Andy. So I gathered our teammates and told them," You know Andy isn't going to make it another year and this is the one thing he wants to do before he dies. He's been here for us time and again, and we just need to make this work." So we started making calls again, as a team this time. There was no way we were gonna let this go without a fight. Finally we found a company who was interested in Andy's story and was willing to sponsor us. Blue Byte was the name. This software company had heart and though they had never sponsored a team before they just couldn't resist Andy's story.

We started practicing immediately and after the season started, Andy was at every game looking healthy as ever. To look at him you wouldn't even know he had anything wrong, aside from the headaches. Andy was determined and he never complained once. He made every practice and was, most the time, the first one out on the field. This was his dream and he was determined to see it through.

It was second to the last game of the season. The game was tied and everyone was feeling the pressure. But not Andy, he looked at us and said, "We are here and this is our dream. We've made it happen. It doesn't matter if we make it to the cup. Look how far we've come. You guys have made our dream a reality and I believe we are going to make it! If anything happens and we don't make it don't worry about it. This has been the best time I've ever had in my life and you, my friends... no my family, you have made this happen. Thank you. Now let's get out there and show these people how to have some fun!!

It was the last play of the game. We wanted Andy to make the winning kick so we passed the ball back and forth all the way down the field. We were on fire! The other team was formidable, but we were playing so well as a team it was as if everyone on the team knew what the others were thinking and everything just clicked. We finally made it to the end of the field I kicked the ball to Andy and he kicked it strait into the net.

At first no one even took notice when Andy hit the ground, after all its not unusual for someone to take a fall playing football. But, when Andy didn't get up, people started to take notice. They paused and looked. Mike was the first to run over calling out, "Andy are you ok?". Andy didn't respond. Sharon, his wife, was the next to arrive by his side, her face white. I can remember the despair in her voice calling out his name. She just sat there and held him in her arms as until the ambulance arrived. It was a really hard day for all of us.

Andy made it through the night and a few days after that, but he never regained consciousness. I guess he was still fighting, determined to make it to this last game. Well, we are here now and we are determined to win. We started this for Andy and we are gonna win this game for him too! Just you watch us!

This one is for you bro!!!

Settler
    World
    Zeus

The Millers Team!

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    The Polar Punters had long been laughed off as a novelty, not much different from a Jamaican Bobsledder or that guy you know who sells timeshares. Firstly, the team was the brainchild of a certain well-to-do Penguin by the name of Sir Reginald Featherbottom III (quite an eccentric bird) in 1994, after the implosion of the NPBA (National Penguin Basketball Association) left a vacuum in the ESPN lineup (Entertainment Sports Penguin Network). Secondly, and this is really the more important part, Sir Reginald lived far away on an colonized iceberg, mostly isolated from the world of professional kick-balling known fondly as futball in the majority of the world.

Having a limited concept of the sport, as well as less flat land than Japan, short, stubby feet and land-balance similar to that of a bowling ball, as you can imagine things got off to a rip-roaring awful start. The teams training consisted mainly of awkward juggling of the soccer ball with a series of headbutting belly-flops and chest-bumps, as the ball was just too cumbersome to move with ill-equipped flippers and a torso for knees. The formative years were, suffice to say, difficult.

The inaugural year consisted of being relegated to the last division of scrub teams, where they would remain for the next 14 years, flipping and flopping clumsily around very foreign fields of grass.

The break-out year came very much by chance, when a young up-and-comer, Thomas "The Torpedo" Thomasson, late for practice and still drunk on brew from the previous night, arrived at blinding speed by way of the penguins natural water-leap onto the field. He launched out of the water from a great depth, and quite by chance struck the ball on his descent, with a phenomenal headbutt no land-lubber could hope to achieve. The result was a scorcher, right past the opposing Madagascarial National team's goalie, a chimp by the name of Banana Sam. Catching the corner of the net, the penguins were finally on the scoreboard. The polar punters had found their secret weapon.

The remainder of the season was spent working out the best way to perform the most player substitutions, wherein a penguin would launch from the water and perform magnificent headbutts, mostly one-timers, against the opposition goalies.

Now you may be thinking, surely this resulted in a reign of back-to-back world championships for the Punters. Not quite, although games have become particularly exciting and high scoring. The waterborne headbutts allowed for phenominal offense, however the defense remained very weak, much as you would expect from a penguin playing goalie.

While it did allow them to be promoted past the scrub leagues into respectable standing, it was hardly enough to win against the powerhouses of the league. However, thanks to this accidental drunken innovation of substitution headbutt one-timers, the penguin league has pulled themselves up to a respectable 38th ranked team, hoping to break into the World Cup by 2034.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    Akvar the wise bans the colliseum, most death penalties and "everything" hateful. All criminals where offered to wait idle in jails, or play soccer. Every year, the winning teams was released on bananas island where they do the laws, as long as they export 2 tons of bananas to Akvar main land.

After a few years, it became obvious that there were too many released criminals on bananas island for it landmass, so the respublicas of bananas of Akvar foreign island choose to maintain a soccer team and try to win the yearly competition to avoid a new inputs of prisonners on the island.

In the last 25 years, the respublicas of bananas lost only 2 times which mean an influx of young players to bring new freshmans of quality to the team.

They are said to be mean, to be unwashed and smelly in order to incomodate the opposing teams, to swear, cheats, bribes the referees (those who like bananas anyway) and promote such other shamefull behaviors.

The league of Mothers for a better future did request the closure of the island of "debauchery" for the last 22 years, but they where turned without hearing for "breach of procedure"...they are thinking about hiring a lawyer.

The teams is named : Super Bananas, although most players wouldn't know, as everyone call them: Corsairs...since most fans or players can't read anyway, would stop writing, as everyone interested couldn't read anyway!

World
    Zeus

The Bakerfield Badgers

The Bakersfield Badgers

Capitol of Bakersfield and home-town for most of the Bakersfield Badgers, Bakersville is a thriving new tourist location for soccer fans since the astonishing winning streak the team achieved in the Island World Cup qualifiers last year. Previously an un-heard-of town on an obscure island, Bakersfield, and subsequently Bakersville, rocketed to world fame just a few years prior when they announced their independence from their former sovereign island Myrelan and joined the Inter-Island Soccer Association simultaneously.

Grandson of Bakersfield pioneer and famous general Sir Charles Baker, Brock Baker is the founder of the Bakersfield Badgers and former trainer to many players on the team. During my visit to Bakersville a few months ago, Brock gave me a personal tour of the lovely town and I had the opportunity to ask him about his history with soccer and the Badgers. In his youth, Brock Baker was something of a soccer savant and led the Myrelan Myrmidons to Island World Cup victory not once but twice. After he retired from the Myrmidons, Brock went on to become a full-time trainer and coach to the youth in Bakersville and the surrounding area. One of his former trainees is the, newly entitled, "Wizard" of soccer Wyatt 'Wiz' Merle. (Merle was featured in last months add campaign for the Island World Cup, see below.) Merle alongside star striker Sandalio 'Bolt' Gonzales and astonishing anchor Columbus 'Drift' Corolla (also trained by Baker) make up what the fans are calling the Thunder Three. Of all their teammates, they are the only three that were actually born in Bakersfield. Merle and Gonzales are natives of Bakersville itself while Corolla hails from the small immigrant suburb of Altezza, just a few miles to the northwest. (The rest of the team immigrated to Bakersfield from other islands.) When asked whether or not he thought this had anything to do with the success of the Thunder Three, Merle stated that, "Brock Baker is an excellent coach and trainer. Though many of our other teammates have trained with him, having Brock as our coach from day one probably gave us an advantage and contributed to our teamwork and success." Both Corolla and Gonzales, who were standing nearby during my after-match interview with Merle last spring, agreed. Gonzales asserted that, though the three of them had recently gained more fame than their teammates, the whole team worked well together and equally contributed to the Badgers success. On the other hand, Corolla expressed, with his ever-present mischievous gleam, that being trained together since the age of two endowed them with near-psychic abilities and enabled them to work together on the field with a synchronicity other teams could only dream of. To which I can only add this;Whether or not the Thunder Three actually have clairvoyant cerebral capabilities, it can be agreed by all that watching them on the field is as magical and awe-inspiring as their nicknames suggest.

For every islands favorite soccer magazine, FourThreeThree; This is Lauren Lavoie, signing off.

Closed Thread