Closed Thread

Thread: Community Representative Applications [CLOSED]

Retired Community Manager
    World
    Zeus

Community Representative Applications [CLOSED]

A few weeks ago, we announced the Community Leader program revamp. You can read about it here. There have been a few changes since the announcement. The CL tags and green text were removed from in-game and the former Community Leaders have chosen to step down. I'd like to take a moment to give a big thank you to our former CLs for their help with the program - a big thanks to Aurboth, Greek_Spartan, Khamuul, AlphaSmitey, immaduck, RigidNubs, Melorr, spikescopilot, Aquila-Plume and RomanGodCamper!

One more announcement before moving onto the applications: The Community Leader program will be changing to the Community Representative program to better reflect what the CRs will be doing.

A quick rundown of the application process:
    1. All those interested in applying should send their application to BB_Rawren via a PM in the forums.
    2. BB_Rawren will review the applications and either approve or send them back for modification.
    3. Approved applications will be posted in this thread. The owner of the application will remain anonymous to keep the focus on the projects.
    4. The applications will be open from 06.26.2014 to 07.10.2014. Afterwards, new applications will not be accepted and a poll will be opened so players can vote for their favorite projects.
    5. Players will be able to vote on the projects from 07.14.2014 to 07.28.2014.
    6. The top two projects will automatically enter the Community Representative program. The third will be chosen by the community management team.
    7. The terms are currently three months long, with the possibility of extensions. When we get closer to the third month, we will open applications again.

If you have any questions, please PM BB_Rawren directly. I will keep this thread up to date with questions and answers.

FAQ

How does the application process work?

To be considered for the program, each applicant must send in the full application to BB_Rawren via a PM (to send a PM, click on BB_Rawren name in the forum and choose "Private Message"). I will respond to each application individually with either an approved or with more questions. The proposed project must meet certain requirements and expectations before being accepted. That being said, I will never outright reject an application but instead, ask for certain tweaks and modifications in order to make it a viable project. If you receive a response other than accepted, it will be up to you to modify or tweak the project as requested and reply with the modified application.

After the three week period, all accepted applications will be posted to a thread with a public poll. Everyone will get to vote for their favorite projects. The top 2 entries will automatically be in the program. The third will be chosen by the community management team.

What is the scope of the project?

When coming up with a good project, there are a few things you should consider. First, the project should be within the reach of your current abilities as a player. As a player, you have access to in-game chat rooms and the forums, so the bulk of the projects should utilize either of these media. Whether it's cleaning up the Player Created Guides section or hosting a weekly in-game Q&A, the project should not require any additional extension of your abilities as a player (i.e. mod powers). For example, a project that requires daily or weekly use of the front-page news of our site is not a viable project, though some of your community projects may be featured there from time to time.

Additionally, these projects should be community-based. In other words, the projects need to directly benefit the community and be on the level of the community. A project which requires access to the development team or is focused on pushing through certain suggested game features is not viable. A project which establishes a community-driven effort to collect and curate player feedback via weekly forum posts would be a viable project.

That being said, since this is a new spin on the program, expect for there to be updates as we learn.

What if I have a project idea but do not want to work on it myself?

The second reply to this thread is a space for adoptable projects. Any one wishing to propose a project idea may message BB_Rawren with the proposed idea, just be sure to iterate that it is available for other people to pick up. Anyone wishing to work on an adoptable project, please include that in the application.

How will I know if my application has been accepted?

I will send a PM as a reply letting you know it has been accepted. I will be accepting applications for this round of Community Representatives from 06.26.2014 to 07.10.2014. Then it's a waiting game until the Vote thread appears on 07.14.2014.

What is expected of me as a Community Representative?

A few things:
    • Must be willing to commit to following through with the project for the three month duration. Depending on how much progress is made, tenure may be extended or you can hand it off to an incoming CR.
    • Must be in contact with at BB_Rawren at least once a week.
    • Must submit a weekly report to BB_Rawren regarding project progress.

Anyone failing to meet these expectations will serve out the rest of their term, but will not be eligible for the next Community Representative vote.

How will the voting work?
    Once an application has been processed and approved, I will post it within this thread. The applications will be anonymous. That way, you should vote for the project that appeals to you the most. Applicants should do their best to not reveal their names associated with any project.

Can I apply with a team project?
    If your project absolutely requires more than one person, you can present a team project of up to 3 people. In this case, all team members will become Community Representatives, but they will coordinate and work on a single project together. If you are applying as a team, please provide the usernames of all team members and how they will contribute to the project.

How will the community keep track of the ongoing projects?
    Each Community Representative will deliver weekly reports to BB_Rawren, who will then update this thread with information. In some cases, the projects might open for community feedback.

Will the applicants remain anonymous if they're chosen?
    After they've been voted in or chosen, I'll announce the names of the winners. That way they can get credit where credit is due. The other applicant names will remain anonymous so they can reapply if wanted.

What if two players come forward with the same project idea?
    The player that messaged me with their project idea first would get priority. However, both players would be contacted and encouraged to make the project a team effort.

I have an additional question not answered in this FAQ.

If you have additional questions, send a PM to BB_Rawren. I will update this thread with questions and answers as they come in.

APPLICATION

What's your project idea? Remember - this is how players will determine who to vote for, so the more details, the better.
    Some thoughts to consider:
    • Will this project be one-time or ongoing? Keep in mind that if it is ongoing, it will be passed from CR to CR.
    • How will this benefit the community?
    • Where will the project "live"? Forums? In-game?
    • How will you complete the project?
    • What will you need from the community management team in terms of assistance and advice to get the project going?
    • Is this a team project? If so, who are the other team members and how will they contribute to the project?
    Last edited by BB_Rawren; 07-07-14 at 06:45 am.
    **Retired**

Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook | Contact Support

World
    Zeus

Adoptable projects

Listed here are projects the currently do not have an owner. If you would like to work on one of the following projects, please message BB_Rawren with the formal application above.
    • Clean up player-help guide forums.
    • Assist with the verified bugs forums.
    • Player Spotlight - interview players and share with the community
    • Guild Spotlight - interview guilds and share with the community
    **Retired**

World
    Zeus
    PLAYER APPLICATION #1

PROJECT: Pest (Bug) Control
    TIME: Ongoing
    TEAM: 3 members, one for forums, one for in-game Zeus, one for in-game Ares
    WHERE: Both on the forums, and in chat channels in the game.

BENEFITS:
    1. Conveys info about issues to developers quickly in an organized manner. Increases communication between players and developers.
    2. Reassures players that info about bugs is forwarded to developers on *a weekly basis.*
    3. Gets the word out for known bugs and any known temporary work-arounds.
    4. Reduces player confusion/frustration, increases player satisfaction. Clarifies expectations.

PROJECT DETAILS
    Project Leader
    1. Maintain a list of current verified bugs, working with CM.
    2. Collect reported issues from forums and consolidate into unverified bug list for review.
    3. Collect reported issues from helpers for unverified bug list.

Project helper: Zeus
    1. Stay current on project leaders work, and game updates.
    2. Answer questions in Zeus chats about bugs, especially when new content is added.
    3. Report to project leader on bugs that are talked about in game.

Project helper: Ares
    1. Stay current on project leaders work, and game updates.
    2. Answer questions in Ares chats about bugs, especially when new content is added.
    3. Report to project leader on bugs that are talked about in game.

NEEDED FROM COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT
    1. A list of current verified bugs would be helpful, and any known work-around measures.
    2. Feedback when bugs are fixed, so information can be widely distributed.
    3. Directions from CM on how the CR can help you with the forums.
    Last edited by BB_Rawren; 07-03-14 at 07:00 am.
    **Retired**

World
    Zeus
    PLAYER APPLICATION #2

I can volunteer to clean up the help guide forum for 3 months. I would like to compile guides in sections:

Beginner Guides
    Island Guides
    Production Guides
    Adventure Guides
    Safety and Rules Guides
    Guild Guides
    Trade Office Guides

This work would benefit the community by ensuring that players have a one stop shop for guides and it would be work done in the forums (I would imagine no extra ability needed). I would work on it during my spare time only, but with a 3 month timeline. Support from the community management team: any forum related support to post in the forum if needed or any other supports you think I might need.
    **Retired**

World
    Zeus
    PLAYER APPLICATION #3

You know I sat down for a lil while and tried to remember just how hard it was to get started in this game and my number 1 problem was knowledge and supplies. Plus there doesn't seem to be a well Flow of game knowledge shared.. To many players take the help tab as a way to aggravate or play around with newbies. I've seen so many crazy comments in help tab. Plus there is a lot of Bad guilds out there that players get roped off into thinking there going to help but really all there doing is using it as a way to get game resources from them during events because the Newbies don't know better. So with that said I have a few Ideas.

First off a Better thought out Newbie Section in the Forum. A event style page where we can explain how the economy works better and Also to explain that just because the resources from the events helps you to clear your island and make money fast short term help hurts you long term. So during each event we could do a Economy comparison of the items involved to give them a better Idea as to what things are going for. This will Also help some of the part time players. It can be updated every 3 days to reflect the economy changes. Plus we need to organize it better.

2nd.. mentors need a Tag.. like MTs ... Of course these people would be known as mentors and when there out and about people would notice them as being full of information and they would know that if they see one that they will be willing and able to help them with any questions that they may have. I think these people needed to be selected By The CLs.. if we see a great person always helping then we could offer them a spot.. It has no special color just a special Tag. that way there not annoying in chat and it just comes off as being a normal player with a lot of Game knowledge. Plus this will allow you to approve or deny a Cls request as to who we would like to be a mentor. lets face it we don't know everything about everyone. I know the Tags are not popular among players because of the power that comes with it.. But mentors don't have power there just a group bent on helping others.
    **Retired**

World
    Zeus
    The Community Representative Applications have come to a close. There was a total of three viable applications, which simplifies the rest of the process! All three have been inducted into the program and have begun work on their projects immediately! Please join me in congratulating:

psaltery
    psaltery will work on the bug control project, which will focus on maintaining an active list of verified bugs in the forums and report new bugs to the support and community teams.

Moonlime
    Moonlime will work on the community guides project, compiling and curating player-made guides.

Deano1978
    Deano1978 will be working on the veteran mentoring program, which will help new and existing players.
    **Retired**

World
    Ares
    A few weeks ago we published Moonlime's contribution to the Community Representative program.
    Because I have received negative feedback about this program during the past three months, we will not re-open the applications.

However if you want your creation to be featured on the website and forums, please send me a private message.

Cordially,
    BB_Endesmor

Closed Thread