Reply to Thread

Thread: Barracks Fix Ideas

Noble
    World
    Zeus

Barracks Fix Ideas

Since it appears there are some programming issues with creating more than 25 recruits at a time, I have wondered why BB has not addressed this problem some other way.

I had a couple ideas, even posted one in the suggestion thread... but I have more lol...

1. The barracks currently has three rows of buttons on its main screen to access the slider for each unit type. One idea is to add a 4th row of buttons below this row, adding three buttons- one for creating 25 recruits with one click and another for creating 25 bows with one click, plus a third for cav. This would speed up the creation of the most common troops lost - no second screen or slider used.

2. Similar to the above idea, add another row below that with 4x25 buttons for recruits, bowmen, and cav. Each button runs a script that creates 25 of the chosen unit type four times, in effect creating 100 units with a single click.

I have more, but these are my two ideas that work within the 25-unit limitation the current barracks has, they don't seem like they would have the programming challenges of having the slider go to 100 or more and would greatly improve gameplay for many players that are running adventures all the time or recovering from fairy tales...

Please stay on topic with feedback or other different ideas for accomplishing a similar result, clearly getting the slider to go to a higher number is not happening maybe someone has another idea out there BB can adopt?

World
    Zeus
    Good ideas. Started me thinking and this one hit.

In the provision house you can make retired bandits. These are in stacks of 25 and you can slide to 25 stacks of 25 (625) or anywhere in between. So the code already more or less exists.

So use your idea number 1, combined with the provision house code and bingo, presto change-o, we gots a new barracks.

Retired Community Leader RomanGodCamper's Avatar
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Perwyn View Post
    Good ideas. Started me thinking and this one hit.

In the provision house you can make retired bandits. These are in stacks of 25 and you can slide to 25 stacks of 25 (625) or anywhere in between. So the code already more or less exists.

So use your idea number 1, combined with the provision house code and bingo, presto change-o, we gots a new barracks.
    We don't know if that's the case though. It could be more complicated then what it is or it doesn't. We will have to wait and see in the future.

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by RomanGodCamper View Post
    We don't know if that's the case though. It could be more complicated then what it is or it doesn't. We will have to wait and see in the future.
    I hear what you're saying RGC, and if we were talking about changing the game engine, I would agree with you.

However, what we are talking about is a simple stand alone module, the barracks, that only affects the game when a player opens it to make troops. I designed and programmed business applications for over 14 years, and from that experience, I can confidently say that it's all just code, it's not magical, mystical or really all that hard, it's just logic. Again, we're not talking about the game engine, just a simple, stand alone application within the game.

I used the provision house example to make a point, but really, the code to make the barracks produce more troops at a time is already built into the barracks itself. Think about making a recruit. Across the top it lists, 1 settler, 5 brew, 10 swords, 1 recruit. You move the slider over and the numbers are multiplied by the number on the slider.

So taking KingHomers idea, we put a second Recruit icon on line 4. Add a zero to the end of each component and you're now producing 10 recruits at a time, for a total of 250 per slider. Seriously, how hard could this be?? Add a row to a table, copy and past some code and add a zero in all places that apply. Anybody who's been programming for more than two months could probably do it without screwing it up.

There's probably a reason we're not getting the very simple change in the barracks everybody's been asking for. And one day, be it Christmas or Easter or whatever, that reason will show up as Barracks II, that you can buy for 3,000 presents or eggs or quatloos or whatever, and after the event purchase for 6,995 gems.

World
    Zeus
    Where can I get some quatloos?
    If something can go wrong, it will.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    I just want to bump this - we need to fix the barracks, the process of creating armies needs fewer clicks and no sliders!

Retired Community Leader RomanGodCamper's Avatar
    World
    Zeus
    All i'm saying is they should just create a "Rarity Barracks" like they have for the Rarity Provision house. Problem solved. Well, In most cases, problem solved, however, They seem to be taking there sweet time on it.

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    With pvp inc, this is even more important! It is probably the biggest player annoyance along with the starmenu (shoot me now while I scroll through 1 basket and 1 cheese sammy page after page)

We have talked about it for years (maybe not as long as pvp.... lol) just do something about it or give an honest answer and say it's beyond your abilities and we will have to keep living with it forever.

Reply to Thread