Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Is it too soon to have a thread for the possible combat changes?

World
    Ares
    I like the "IDEA" of a new combat system but not what is being proposed right now. Higher losses don't scare me because i've run adventures like BK with nothing but BHG's and tavern gens at the time. I've had people in my guild run FT's with nothing but 1 vet and no cannons. You make do with what you have. I agree that changes are necessary even "nerfs" but BB's goal as I understand it can be done very simply and easily without a complete over-hull of the system or requiring players to do mass changes to their island.
    1) remove weapons from adventure loot as planned.
    2) restrict the amount of recruits that can be taken to a give adventure and scale it by the adventure.
    3) adjust resources/times appropriately for weapon chains and barracks.

You're done. You have the same desired effect of people killing other troops and using other weapon chains besides BS. No need for "MAJOR" changes to your island, new sims, new guides, new learning curves and frustrations, etc etc.

I know everyone is quick to judge but what did people do before the MMA? or the MG? or pathing changes to adventures? People did just fine and they will do fine with any new system being implemented (hopefully not the current one being proposed).

If you have frustrations, ideas, hard tested numbers, theories on how this will effect the economy the player base etc. give your feedback in the appropriate forums so changes can be made before they come to live servers. Dont be so quick to grab the pitchforks and gather a crowd when it has been stated many many times already in many many threads that this is just the early stages of the system and they expect a lot to change. As it stands I dont see one single player in game or on the forums that wants the new system the way it is and would find it very very very very hard to believe that given the feedback BB will actually take the new system to live without any changes.

Noble
    World
    Ares
    There is a vote of no confidence in devs on test forums. I don't know what are they going to do but as more players/testers I just don't trust them anymore. I think those "proposed" changes clearly state of how little devs know about their own game. Or perhaps this is their intentions. Create choke points and solve them by offering solutions.. in the gem shop (Epic weapon workshop, endless iron mines...). Of course not everyone will buy them, but those who will...easier time doing adventures, might be worth to some the gems spend.

Settler
    World
    Ares
    A couple of thoughts.....

My first thought is that lower level players aren't going to be able to do solo adventures for quite some time. If even the lower level advents are consuming soldiers, elites and xbowmen then how are lower level players going to be able to complete them? Those players certainly aren't going to be able to build the troops required to complete the advents and I suspect that they won't be able to obtain the coin that will be required to buy those weapons. Nor will they be able to build the weapon chains required to produce those weapons unless BB reduces the level at which ds, xb, and ss can be built. Starting as a new player and advancing in a reasonable period of time (reasonable being defined as "how long before they become bored and go spend their money elsewhere") will be extremely frustrating.

Next, the concept of "balancing" the combat system by making it harder for new players to participate in and complete adventures does nothing but further unbalance the game by making it harder for new players to advance. How many of us higher level players are sitting on tens and hundreds of thousands of ds, k, ss, horses, saltpeter, titanium, etc? The value of those resources is going to skyrocket and we're certainly not going to give them away. New players aren't going to be able to afford those resources and since they won't drop as loot in the advents that the noobs can't participate in anyway, the noob economy will basically revolve around production of the resources and materials for weapons that they'll need to complete advents (which will take an unreasonable amount of time to do during which I suspect most noobs will quit before they ever spend a dime on the game) or, production and sale of the resources (ore, bars, horses) that the mid and higher level players need to produce the weapons that they need to complete advents.

I would guess that many higher level players don't need any more coin or any more resources. We're going to be able to produce the materials and weapons that we need to continue adventuring without too much heartburn. But, if you (BB) expect to attract and retain new players with new real money to spend then you might want to reconsider many of the proposed changes. I understand that the changes are just in the test phase and are there for the purpose of seeing how they might affect the game. So far, it seems as though the changes are seriously flawed and would further unbalance the game rather than the opposite. Just my 2 cents!

Noble
    World
    Ares
    The raw predictions from test are putting a grim picture on everyone under 50. New starting players would get hit the hardest. Not only much more resources will be needed to complete an adventure, but their progression in game will be drastically slower. I still remember my first "real" adventure IOTP. Done with tavern generals it was quite a challenge. I needed 3 days to recover my losses from this.

And all the testing now is done with MA/ MG and Vets. Why someone tries to do DP, Horseback, IOTP, WOTS or even SFTR (I consider them the real leveling adventures after you are done with the mini's - TS and LS) with tavern generals? All the testing is done from a lev 50 player perspectives whith Major Gen and Vets available. How about the noobies with 3 tavern generals? Can they make it? And what will be the cost?

If it cost 400C and 400M to do DP with a vet/MG - how much will it take to do them with tavern generals?

Noble
    World
    Ares
    At this point all the talks about the new balance changes are just useless. NOBODY so far was able to finish ANY adventures using tavern generals. BB really screwed the puch on this one and just embarrassed themselves in the eyes of players.

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    Are they talking about making the payoff of these adventures more rewarding? I know many of the current ones I do only because I want something different, since the cost/benefit (or risk/reward) is very poor as has been pointed out numerous times (e.g. Secluded Adventures). If BB made difficult adventures more rewarding with decent probabilies (really 0.3% for some of the items, why don't they just say no way you're getting it dude) then it becomes a rewarding challenge, and not a punishing challenge. I don't mind risk and failure but there has to be the same level of payoff with success. It is clear with the removal of the weapons as payoff that BB doesn't want that. My original idea is that BB doesn't care a bit about our input, they want a way to generate more revenue, regardless of what havoc it causes the players.

Retired Community Leader Spikescopilot's Avatar
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by sagminor View Post
    Are they talking about making the payoff of these adventures more rewarding? I know many of the current ones I do only because I want something different, since the cost/benefit (or risk/reward) is very poor as has been pointed out numerous times (e.g. Secluded Adventures). If BB made difficult adventures more rewarding with decent probabilies (really 0.3% for some of the items, why don't they just say no way you're getting it dude) then it becomes a rewarding challenge, and not a punishing challenge. I don't mind risk and failure but there has to be the same level of payoff with success. It is clear with the removal of the weapons as payoff that BB doesn't want that. My original idea is that BB doesn't care a bit about our input, they want a way to generate more revenue, regardless of what havoc it causes the players.
    I believe they've taken weapons out of the loot, so unless they're going to give us 10x granite I'm not sure the loot gets any better.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Spike's Co-pilot

There's magic in the wake of a fiasco!

Veteran General
    World
    Zeus
    Have fun getting competent players to give enough feedback for every camp on every adv.
    More of the same "new" content with a different bow? I will give more of the "same" towards my gem accumulation.

Veteran General
    World
    Zeus
    Really all I've figured out from this is that I will need to only play adventures with Recruit losses only for the foreseeable future.

Reply to Thread