Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts on the Settlers game.

Soldier
    World
    Ares

My thoughts on the Settlers game.

So I want to say some things about this game and what it really is about from my perspective. Ultimately when you get right down to the basic of the game you have to know that this game isn’t a competition. There are no winners or losers. Yes someone may have better stuff on their island, have more knowledge of adventures, or be better at setting up production lines. But in the crux of it all its important to understand the two main reasons people play this game are for strategy, and for social. This game is designed to challenge people to learn how to overcome obstacles and figure out what works for them. This game also incorporates a community setting where players are best off when they work together. The purpose of being in a guild and being part of this community is to have fun and help each other. Despite what some people say no single person on this game knows everything. I have been playing this game for years. I switched over to this server from zeus when ares started, ive restarted with different profiles several times, even wiped my island clean and rebuilt it. But despite all this, there is a ton of stuff that I do not know. There are players who I started out playing with like Domesday, Greek_Spartan and others who know a whole lot about this game. But even they will tell you, if they are being honest, that there is allot to this game that they do not know. Those of us who have played on here for many years know several things that some newer players do not. Here are a few I think are important, they are in no particular order.
    1. No matter how funny you think you are, trolling in global for attention or trying to cause an issue between other players is not appropriate and in the long run can keep people from helping you.
    2. If you are invited on an adventure you only do what the main player asks you to do.
    3. Under no circumstances on an adventure if you are getting a lootspot do you click on any of the quest completed icons. Every player has ways that they end an adventure. A good majority of players may need to load up certain troops to send them back without waiting for a troop transport. So only do what your asked to do then leave the adventure.
    4. While every player has an adventure guide they like or that works for them no guide is completely perfect. Guides are subject to change as the game changes and evolves, or new generals are added.
    5. Every player ultimately has to decide how they want to play the game and set up their own island. Despite what some people will try to do, it is up to each player how they want to set up their island. Some production chains may work better than others but its each players choice and their particular strategy.
    6. Not every player plays the game for the same reason. Some play for social reasons. Some play purely to get to the highest level and get the most stuff. Some play for years without worrying about levels. Some really enjoy helping others and providing them items to boost their economy.
    7. It is really inappropriate to ask for items from another player, who gives them to you for free or cheap, to turn around and sell those items for other things. Common courtesy is to only ask for items you need to either complete quests, improve your island, or to build up an army.
    8. The game has certain tabs for certain reasons. Trade chat is meant strictly to discuss trades, Help chat is meant for people needing help. Global chats are meant mainly for socialization and special events like trivia, auctions, etc.
    9. Using all caps in any chat is considered yelling and is not acceptable. Use chat the same way that you would talk in real life to people.
    10. If someone is hosting an auction then there are several things to remember:
    a. Auctions are always bid in coin unless otherwise specified.
    b. If an auction is taking place then only give bids or answer the auctioneers questions.
    c. Each auctioneer has different rules for their auctions. Some will allow only bids in 5c increments and others in 1c increments. If you don’t understand whisper the auctioneer.
    d. Auctioneers are not responsible for anything other than selling items for other players.
    e. When a deal or auction for a particular sale is done it is only between the buyer and the seller at that point.
    f. Lastly, if an auction is taking place do not start conversations or trolling, it is rude and innapropriate.
    11. Some players enjoy giving items away. Every once in a while players like myself do giveaways in trade or randomly give items to newer players. Common courtesy says to say thank you, and to be respectful when someone is generous to do something like that.
    12. When any player needs help or asks for advice, it is very very rude to try to trick another player into doing things like selling an item really cheap or lose soldiers in a adventure needlessly.
    13. This is a game. It is only a game. Don’t treat this game like its anything other than a game.
    14. Being respectful and polite goes a long ways towards getting better at the game and making friends. Just like it does in the real world.
    15. Respect players who have been playing for a while and who know what they are talking about. It is really easy to tell who is respected in the community by how others react when they enter a chat or say something.
    16. Guilds serve several main purposes. Working towards obtaining items in the guild market. And providing help, advice, closer groups of social activity, and working together to help each other with events.
    17. If you are in a guild, always look to a guild first for trades, needs, help, or advice. Doing so helps build a stronger guild, and it helps foster better friendships.
    18. Above all follow the golden rule, treat and talk to others the way you want them to treat and talk to you.

This game list doesn’t encompass everything. Its just some thoughts from someone who has played for many years. I hope maybe it will help some players work towards building a better server and a better community that will in the long run help everyone out. If you think of something I missed then please feel free to share and discuss it below. You are always welcome to add me as a friend in the game and I try to answer all whispers and messages quickly.
    Happy Settling!
    There is only one like me! The original captain! CAPTAIN_CHRIS!

World
    Zeus
    Like you I have been around for many years. I started with Beta. I don't see that you missed anything. Nice job.
    Last edited by Wimpy; 03-20-15 at 03:44 pm.

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    Very good points!

Good Citizen Award Recipient Domesday's Avatar
    World
    Ares
    WHAT? There are things in this game I don't know? Say what? :-) Nice job CC.
    Domesday
    Guild Leader Emeritus
    Sammy's Lost Legion
    "I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free."
    Nikos Kazantzakis

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    very well worded, thanks Captain

World
    Ares
    Still around from time to time.

Noble
    World
    Ares
    Awesome work, congratz. Now I would like to see a list like this addressed to BB and Devs accordingly. Maybe they could learn a thing or two

1. Inform players properly about changes in the game, limitations of certain designed features and consequences of your purchases.

Anybody got a next point? :P

World
    Ares
    Give them a break...math on pvp has just been improved
    Still around from time to time.

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    I think your subject heading is a little misleading. It seems your post deals more with how you think people should behave in the game rather than your thoughts on the game itself.

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    Narasn, they are still my thoughts. The behaving right in the game is a huge factor in a game that has a huge social aspect to it.

Just thought of another one to add, When doing recruitment for your guild, give a respectable amount of time between recruiting ads. This way no one is trying to 1 up the others and it also enables guildless more time to choose.
    There is only one like me! The original captain! CAPTAIN_CHRIS!

Reply to Thread