Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Master of Blocked Potential

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    well, the description of the general is very clear; it's appropriate for blocking and locking.
    No point in saving face there.
    Looks like that info got added down the line, iirc it wasn't there before. However, I encourage you to use him for blocking, back up your numbers and stuff with proof and demand a refund when it fails. That's the point where we are talking about, what they describe vs hold their stance on is a different one.

The Master pf Defense is not as useless as Dracul.
    I'm kinda split. The Wheelchair has very few advantages, suchs has being able to do a block faster due to him arriving earlier...though that requires you to currently only have a single/double block, otherwise you'd likely end up waiting for your 3rd blocker in any case.
    Dracul is more of a clean up crew for me than anything else, like BK and the 100C/100XB camp, whatever the MMA doesn't clean up, Dracula guy can finish up, MoD is already a hit/miss chance on that. Different use for different situations, we still agree that both of them are flawed like hell and their uses are really limited to make them justify their cost, as opposed to MMA/Major/Vet.

Dracul is pretty much just a BHG+ without any real advantages, his first strike/mediocre dmg will save you a few troops here and there, but not a deal breaker in any way, shape or form. Which brings us back to him as a "the perfect tagger" which is moot since we can tag with every other Gen just fine, and even here we need to pay attention to what the actual enemies are regardless. 130hp+ is a hit/miss chance, where as low hp units (110 and below) is a certain thing.

Wheelchair itself works "just fine" on anything below FTs. Units don't deal massive dmg, quanitites are within reasons and no splash dmg is a god factor for blocking (exceptions apply of course). The _only_ camp that I can block with him reliably that I can not with a Tavern Gen is on SLT, everything else, the Tavern Gen performs better by a long shot. Which is to say, if my Tavern Gen has a certain chance of 5 rounds, that is a value I can do solid math with, a MoD with adjusted numbers gives anything from 7-16 rounds or whatever with a rather consistant Bell Curve, but it's far less reliable to work with, as you need to work with an avarage that you can (must...) adjust for and it still can turn sour. Initially I had Wheelchair work in 3 FTs, about 5 blocks total. Turns out 1 was golden, 1 was moot either way, 3 were just hit/miss chances with too much on the line to risk it. On the contrary, with Tavern Gens, 1 I couldn't work out ever reliably, 1 was moot, 3 were impossible. To make it reliable for either Wheelchair or Tavern, I would've needed to send a sac to the camp to trim it, which "defeated" the potential of Wheelchair and became a moot block. If the savings don't justify a dead Gen or saved troops, then it may just not be worth it.

EDIT: also, telling me to have to use a third party simulator to test a product before I buy it indicates you give in easily, and is really putting the responsibility with the players instead of with BB.
    Perfectly wrong.
    Since I don't know how much you know about the game and mechanics, but that might be irrelevant. If you simply follow a guide and that works for you, great. If you follow a guide, do a change according to your mood (aka not following the guide anymore "to the letter"), then mess up, you need to point the finger at yourself.
    A Tavern Gen with 1HP without special skills vs a Wheelchair with 5000HP and special skills doesn't take much understanding that you can "simply" swap the General and call it a day.
    And that's why we have a 3rd party program, made by players for players, so nobody needs to sit down for hours to do the math for 100k iterations, just to change 2 values and do the entire process again. It's not a 3rd party program to "test a product" but to save you alot of time to use a "product" that you understand and want to use it more efficiently.
    There is also no responsibility on BB for providing something and you not knowing how to use it appropriately. I'd give room for an argument about "false advertising", but as it stands, he "works as intended" albeit with flaws, and that still brings us back to: BB doesn't support blocks on adventures in any case and they _are_ saving face standing by that irresponsible "lie". But since the description doesn't tell you the details you ought to know (HP/Dmg/Skills), makes this a matter of "doing your own research before forming an opinion and making a desicion".
    Consumer laws like you are referring to is protecting people with bad desicion making at the expense of somebody else, because looking out for yourself is too much to ask of people these days.

Try crossing a street without looking both ways, same concept.

I use the MoD quite successfully in several adventures including FT and Epic as well and also have him operating 3 adventures (one Epid) in complete replacement of the wino generals.
    Which ones are you referring to, and are it said example that I mentioned (having 1 or 2 camps that need to be blocked vs more camps than you have Wheelchairs or even BHG for...like Tikki Island) or completely different? Different would assume you modified a guide accordingly to another starting order like Outlaws. You mentioned BK, which starts out with a double block from LZ, triple block from bottom right and....never done top left, looks like triple if not quad block if one actually starts from there. As I haven't done any sims on bottom right (nor bottom left for that matter) with a BHG, I'm just assuming you are starting bottom left and got 2 Wheelchairs, from which point on you wouldn't need another blocker until the top DC by which time the Tavern Gens arrived anyway, if they are even needed (I'd wager a double Wheelchair and a 1R sac could do the job too)

Bottom line, he sounds more epic than he is, costs more than he is worth and yet only needs 1 value changed to make him share the "Top Tier" general pedestal with MMA/Major. However, because BB listens to player feedback and fancy lip service, he will remain a bad value.

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceruhe View Post
    [...] You mentioned BK, which starts out with a double block from LZ, triple block from bottom right and....never done top left, looks like triple if not quad block if one actually starts from there. As I haven't done any sims on bottom right (nor bottom left for that matter) with a BHG, I'm just assuming you are starting bottom left and got 2 Wheelchairs, from which point on you wouldn't need another blocker until the top DC by which time the Tavern Gens arrived anyway, if they are even needed (I'd wager a double Wheelchair and a 1R sac could do the job too) [...]
    In BK, I use MoD (2x) to start from LZ and continue CCW with only 2 MoD, (no winos) leaving one MMA and Maj to swing CW to take out L3 and L4 respectively (Evil_J Major - Cannon guide (Not Fast) modified for MMA use) when zone(s) are open, only need block for L2 and final BC which I position MMA/MoD in LZ2 so I can send before L4 is down. C5-C7 are done in with Vets preloaded with troops. Summary: Only require 2 blockers and that for the initial attack; the only other blocks (3x) are single blocker attacks.
    “Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.”
    J. R. R. Tolkien

World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by dmmh77 View Post
    well, the description of the general is very clear; it's appropriate for blocking and locking.
    No point in saving face there.
    What? We are now being advised by BB to use the MoD for blocking? For many years BB have been telling us that blocking is NOT part of the game and that they would offer ZERO support. How many troops were lost because of the too many glitches and every time we were told that it's not their problem. BB, it's ok if you don't care or if you are incompetent, but please stop lying.
    Whence comest thou?

Reply to Thread