Reply to Thread

Thread: PvP - Question about intercepts/routes

Soldier
    World
    Ares

PvP - Question about intercepts/routes

A question for any experienced PvPers out there...

Several times I have had a little trouble while in this scenario:

- Enemy camp A is along the path to the map boss so I want to take it out
    - Enemy camp B adjacent to that is not on the path to the map boss
    - Sending directly to Enemy camp A would intercept other camps, so we send to the Map Boss with the intention of retreating after Enemy Camp A is taken out

This is so far a pretty typical Settlers adventure scenario that we use all the time, no big deal. Most of the time in PvP this seems ok as well.

But....several times lately, after Enemy Camp A is defeated, it spits the marshall back out and instantly gets intercepted by Enemy Camp B, which was not previously in his route of travel. No chance to retreat, just wham straight into the other nearby Camp. It almost seems like his route has been changed somehow.

I don't see this as a bug really, just a tactical issue that I'm scratching my head over.

Has anybody figured out a way to avoid having to kill that Camp B?

Thanks!

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    Uh, I can't say I have the "PvP" experience you might look for (though adventure, which is the same in that regards), nor do you have a screenshot handy for visual help...so a random shot...

When camp A "spits" out your Marshall, is he spitted into the intercept range from camp B?
    Worst case you can block camp B, time isn't much of an issue, and the losses won't be as dramatic either.

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    I will try to take a screen shot or two next time I get in a situation where it might happen.

According to the initial route the general is sent on he should not intercept camp B...but basically as soon as he finishes with Camp A you occasionally get one where he must reroute into a very close by Camp B's influence area faster than you can retreat. Blocking is possible I'm sure, but would be somewhat complicated because you'd have to account for the length of your attack on Camp A, and you won't really know you needed the block until its too late unless I can figure out why it is happening.

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    UGH!

Just posted something, hit reply and the page whites out (again), no backup and no return button be working /sigh

I'll short story it, need to bed X_x

When Marshall A is going to Camp A, have him selected so in case of intercept you may have a chance to retreat him. Assuming you have hit that button before he engages (regardless of visual lag where he already engaged Camp B) until server lag catches up and retreats him out of the camp, then you might just save him.

If Camp B isn't getting killed by Marshall A, you obviously need Marshall B to do that, which is where I mentioned the block. As it would stand now, blocking Camp B isn't a gamble chance but a definite, unless you magically get to the Map Boss without it intercepting.

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    I find with 'pvp' (I feel guilty calling it that) there is no retreating once a gen has been intercepted since the camps are usually so close together. The key is to know which camp is going to intercept first, and essentially do some basic math and tailor your troop launch to just barely kill that camp with certainty. From there the next camp will intercept and send the gen back.

Depending on the setup and medpack available I will also do a double hit, where I kill one camp and then block the next all in one launch. For example say its a small map normal camp 100 cav. You could just launch 75 melee troops (could do it with 60ish) and then add 25 blockers (huge margin of saftey). Launch at leader, get intercepted by first camp, clear it and then it moves forward to block the second camp seamlessly. Launch your next attacks.

Makes for clearing sectors that have 4 intercepts doable without too much work.

Cheers,
    B

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    Thanks LordB, that's what I have found as well. Have you figured out a rule of thumb for which camps might intercept when they aren't shown as doing so on the initial path? I usually assume that if when I hover my attach cursor over the goal camp that anything that lights up red needs to be addressed...but it seems like in "PVP" there are occasionally some others (non-highlighted red) that come into play somewhat unexpectedly.

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    Now that I've poked around with that stuff a little....server lag is horrible, even though I hit retreat before my first Marshall even made it into the aggro zone, the retreat never happened, he just happily ran right into it.
    Also curious as to why we have defaulted lag on expeditions like we do on adventures, when inviting the 2nd player (aka deployment and stuff takes around 5s longer with that pony over the camp running around).

Not only is that discouraging blocking, but also makes a fair share back down altogehter, as losses can get steepby clearing every camp on the way. Not to mention from the guys who have experience blocking, but are not familiar with spacing/timing and working out block durations (though with extra losses that part can be offset at least).

As for your initial post again, still haven't had that happen and can't fully grasp the situation. Only thing I can think of, as you stated, the Marshall will get rerouted to the intended target, but not from his original position, but from the defeated Camp A, though again, screenshot hehe

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    Hey Wilson,

Yes sometimes it will be intercepted by an unexpected camp after it kills your primary launch. In that case hopefully you havnt launched the next 3 waves yet and you lose an additional 20ish blocking troops (no big deal medpack later you are all set to get back at it).

Depending on general placement, sectors you didn't clear that are behind you can also intercept so if close to edges care must be taken or hilarity ensues.

@Ceruhe dont stress over lag, the blocking troops are incredibly generous with timing. Utilize on the side of caution. A properly timed 3 block can be done very safely with 15-10-6 troops (closest intercept). If you want to ensure nothing goes unexpectedly just double those numbers and short of a server crash they will survive half the final gens combat and then some. Half the time I dont even launch the second until the first literally is intercepted and then follow a bit quicker with the next two.

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    I'm not too concerned about that lag by itself, I am experienced in blocking, adjusting and positioning etc, but I also like to optimize.
    So when I already see a mistake before it happens and do actually have the chance to avoid it (medipack or not), then that part is more frustrating to me, than having made an error after I thought I was set, if it fails then, regrettable but I can deal with that at least.

But if the server just doesn't feel like forwarding actions taken in due time, then that just sucks. Said lag, on regular adventures, still works fine on the commands though, if you hit the Retreat before the General has arrived to attack, even if he then does initiate the attack regardless, he most always gets pulled out of the then engaged camp again, as servertime has caught up with the lag and sets everything back to the regular timeline, just doesn't seem to be the case for expeditions.

Reply to Thread