Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Something needs to change

Veteran General
    World
    Zeus
    I never saw any point in joining a guild. That said, I'll still throw out an idea.
    Maybe they could set up a collective 'guild XP' that can be compared to create competitions between guilds. Maybe higher 'guild xp levels' could result in increased rewards for quests.

Mayor
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by fredbdx View Post
    Making co-operative adventures worthwhile would go someway to fostering a sense of community/teamwork/whatever..
    the only problem is co-ops are usually traps, all it takes is one of the players to leave and you're stuck. the only player that can do anything is the one that started the co-op, and end it.

Settler
    World
    Ares
    I agree with more focus on community, an adult global and the alliance tab. I have been at lvl 50 and keep logging in because of friends, however I miss some that have moved on to other guilds.

Retired Community Leader
    World
    Ares
    The key here seems to be that people who have finished level 50 no longer have the goal of leveling to keep them interested in the game. It is a shame that as a result, many people cannot seem to find new goals on their own, and are looking for the game designers to tell them what they should be doing now. There is significant content in the game that is not locked with level; and as other player have pointed out, there are many goals a player can set that do not require tasks set by the developers. As another point of this thread is focusing on improving the community, that may act as a starting point in looking for goals to set.

So let's start: Things to do after turning level 50:
    1. Purchase all the epic items, starting with the fairy tale castle
    2. Start a guild, preferably one that meets standards
    3. Write an adventure guide
    4. Mentor new players
    5. Work the help tab
    6. Dedicate time to the test server
    7. Make an event guide
    8. Pick up a Community Leader project
    9. Master the expedition/PvP (note: what is economical for lower levels is not the same for level 50's, and you can't complain that we have abundant resources and say the expeditions cost to much)

Retired Community Leader
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis69 View Post
    I agree with more focus on community, an adult global and the alliance tab. I have been at lvl 50 and keep logging in because of friends, however I miss some that have moved on to other guilds.
    There are 29 other global channels besides global-1. They do auctions in global-5 a few times a week for a few hours. Surely you can pick one of them and use it for a general room without the global-1 restrictions. The problem is not in choosing one to act as an adult global, but the inabilty for some of the players requesting it to not be in global-1, typically because they are too immature not to be included in what happens there.

Noble
    World
    Ares
    Co-ops always been a failed idea because 1. lag (ffs) and 2. you are unable to finish it when 1 players goes offline (which often is caused by no1. - LAG!).

BB keeps adding great features that require a fast and stable connection to their server which is across the ocean for US players. Even players from Europe often complain about the lag issues.. which is really odd but hey, what do I know about servers right?

There is a difference between global and some kind of alliance chat. Anyone can join global (trolls too). Ally chat will be only available to all guild members. You can easily see how many potential trouble can be avoided by this design.

Drischavrel
    It's rather sanctimonious to tell other people how to enjoy a game, Aurboth, not to mention that it's already been stated more than once on this thread that many people are here for the camaraderie they find with their friends rather than any goals set by the game. It's also been stated why just jumping to another global doesn't resolve the issue. There's no reason to belittle others every time they express an opinion that differs with yours.

Settler
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurboth View Post
    There are 29 other global channels besides global-1. They do auctions in global-5 a few times a week for a few hours. Surely you can pick one of them and use it for a general room without the global-1 restrictions. The problem is not in choosing one to act as an adult global, but the inabilty for some of the players requesting it to not be in global-1, typically because they are too immature not to be included in what happens there.
    The whole point of an alliance tab is that players can go there any time and find friends, and friends alone. Not a difficult concept.

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    General ideas (some based on comments from this thread) - in no particular order:
    - Guild bank
    - Guild alliance system with an alliance chat
    - Revise co-ops with better loot and allowing all players to finish on their own (no waiting for other players to finish part of the adventure)
    - Expansion Islands
    - Game content and levels beyond level 50
    - Allow the bookbinder to queue and reduce the time to make books
    - Complete the science system for Islands and Generals
    - A return of Dark Castles as BK loot and Frozen Manors in some sort of loot
    - Improve drop rate of scenarios and make it worth doing them
    - Allow all buildings to be moved (at some cost of course)
    - New adventures and look at revamping some loot on current adventures (loot should at least be close to equal to the cost of running the adv)
    - Speed up travel of generals to and from adventures and also while re-locating
    - Adjust Geo times to find nodes
    - Review build costs of all buildings and adjust
    - Guild coin system needs review
    - More events (even though we complain a lot, events are great fun)

About all I can think of off the top of my head. Hope some of these are helpful.

Retired Community Leader ShuttlePilot's Avatar
    World
    Zeus
    Having played since the first days of Beta; having helped found the first and longest remaining active guild in the game; and apparently still being here, I agree with much of what has been said above. Both from the side of "new and shiny things to keep people interested," and the side of "we each make the game what we want to make it after a certain point." For me it is a combination of the two.

The Creators Guild has survived and thrived mainly because from the very beginning we dedicated ourselves to making our guild a fun, active, challenging place for our members. We have consistently held competitions, trivia events, scavenger hunts, and are known for our largesse when it comes to contributing to new members as well as to the game itself. Members of TC wrote many of the earliest U.S. guides, resource calculators, and battle sims. We challenged ourselves to make this little browser game fun. We still do. Each major BB sponsored holiday event, we hold giving extravaganzas that ensure that each of our non-L50 members are able to obtain their event specialty items. We have had an annual "Level your Sh1tz" contest where more experienced members actually cooperatively run the big adventures (as they were originally designed to be run) sharing troop losses and bringing in heavy troops so that the lower levels can clear camps and actually pick up XPs instead of just loot, thus helping them level.

We have many loyal L50s members who go inactive between big events and when they show up, it is like one big family reunion and we have a few weeks of major hoopla while the event is running. We retain those charter members, and the intermittent members and we dump the players who join and then die out around L30 something. Over the years I have seen many players leave the game around L38-45 because when they realize what a loooooong slog it is to get to L50 after having been able to level faster at lower levels, they become discouraged and quit. A lot of responsibility goes to the Guilds themselves. If a guild can't keep its members active, interested, and assisted in playing the best game that they can, then that falls on guild leadership.

If I had a gold coin for every time I have seen someone with a guild tag show up in global or in help asking the most basic of game questions, I'd be a scrillionair. If guilds aren't mentoring their players and teaching them how to play the game, then what is the point of a guild in the first place? (ok just a personal pet peeve there).

However there is always room for improvement:

1) The production time on the expedition armory is just way way way too slow even buffed. It cannot keep up with the demands of regenerating troops. Either the buffs need to be longer (6 hours is just not cutting it) or the speed needs to be significantly improved. The expedition barracks so far doesn't seem to be doing too bad at keeping up with troop demand.

2) Log in incentives need to be adjusted according to Level. 4 xbows for a daily login bonus for an L50 is just silly. We can sneeze more than that.

3) Island expansion needs to be implemented pronto for higher levels. Many high level players are out of room, despite upgrading and purging obsolete chains and buildings. Just finding room for garrisons alone is a pain, and not everyone is a gem player who can afford the demolition buffs from the gemshop. So either have those as elite adventure loot drops, or get the island expansion in place. Or implement a building that will house the garrisons.

4) Absolutely reduce the time in the bookbinder. Again, way too slow considering the amount of Scouts and Geos that most upper level players have.

5) Review cost vs. benefit for guild quests and adventures. There are many available cost sheets out there in the community (TC actually gave the BBs our initial one a few years ago). When loot in no way compensates for the outlay in material cost to run adventures and guild quests, there is little incentive to do them. We've always had a list of guild quests that are killed on sight because they are just not worth doing.

6) I have no problem with Co-ops other than the loot. Originally, the larger adventures like Secluded Experiments were run cooperatively with other players and there was no need to wait for anyone to finish part of the adventure. The point of current co-ops like Whirlwind is to have everyone online together, and communicating with one another. Many in our guild actually have fun doing those and we're about to host a WW Extravaganza contest before any summer event begins. Sure they're not everyone's cup of tea, but perhaps would attract more players if the loot was not so pitiful, and if the connections were stable.

7) We suggested the guild bank from the very early days of the game, we implemented our own (one L50 member graciously turned his island into guild storage and ran the bank for us). We'd like to see at the very least a guild storage house with access by the Guild Leader. Each guild can then decide how they want to run it, as each guild's needs are different. This also would be easy on the devs, as a simple "donate" button could be used on each resource and that number can go into Guild storage.

8) Last but not least -- dependable, fast connections are imperative. There is nothing more frustrating than lag or getting disconnected, or seeing the Hammer Man when right in the middle of attacking and/or retreating and/or blocking. Worse, at times not even being able to sign in. Prompt customer service is imperative.

Certainly there are many more things that can be improved, there are also many many things that are being done right or we wouldn't still be here. It's an ongoing process fit in between bug fixes. I think that Po's original post was intended to stimulate some brainstorming and to give constructive feedback to the devs. It's a little game, it is a good game, and it is populated for the most part with really fun players. The social aspect is great and yet people will come and go for many reasons, some game related some offline related.

This is a good thread, and appreciated.

ShuttlePilot
    Guild Leader, The Creators
    Last edited by ShuttlePilot; 04-28-15 at 07:59 am.

Reply to Thread