Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: PvP for Beginners

Recruit
    World
    Ares

PvP for Beginners

I finally started doing some PvP- here are my ideas for PvP with emphasis on small colonies:

1. Watch the 10 minute video in the archive section. Pay attention to attacking with multiple units and after you defeat the Map Boss.

2. Since we are new at PvP, attack the small colonies which are controlled by bandits.

3. Even if you are not doing PvP currently- build your armory and garrison to level 5.

4. You need attack troops and attack weapons. Build 300 of each of the attack troops and 75 each of the blocking troops. I went in with 1400 weapons for my attack troops- i was depleted after capturing two colonies. I would start building up 10K attack weapons. 1 k weapons for blocking troops.

5. IMPORTANT- Pay attention to what your attack troops do well and the enemy troops do well. Easy rules- Melee does well against CAv, Ranged does well against Melee and Cav does well against Ranged.

6. If you don't like any of the expeditions you are offered. Just decline and use another explorer to do a new search.

7. Attack Marble, Coal and Hardwood colonies when starting out. Easy pickings and less likely to get attacked.

8. When you block, you can get away with 10 blocking troops.

9. Remember to claim the colony only after building defenses. Claim the colony is the last thing you do.

10. Remember to go back and claim resources. Your colony will start producing resources after you claim it.

11. You don't have to defeat every unit on the map. The Map Boss is the key. Many camps can be bypassed.

12. See Rule #1

Please post if you have questions or suggestions. As I tackle the bigger colonies, I will post my thoughts on this thread.

Thank you,

Phillip

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    13. Build your expedition Medipacks before even starting your first raid.

14. Once you start rolling along, buy the two extras slots and get your 6 colonies Achievement taken care of.

15. Personal Note- I have really struggled with the attack weapons. You have to build up a large volume of them before going after multiple colonies.

16. Next Goal is a regular colony. Currently building my army up to 1500 attack troops. Stay tuned!

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    As soon as your first general lands. Make sure you are able to attack the map boss. {There is currently a bug with at least the large tier 1 colonies where the map boss spawns on top of a bush and you cannot attack it}.
    One army. Pretty please.

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    sorry i'm not sure i see the reasoning behind point 3) ?
    thanks for the hints otherwise.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    Point #3- My assumption is that you will eventually try PvP. You might as well have it ready when the time comes. My thought process was before the Level 75 announcement.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    I have decided to do tactical pause on PvP while I build up weapons. I found myself constantly chasing attack weapons or buying them in TO. I went in with 1400 weapons and that was not nearly enough. I'm building up to 15K attack weapons before I resume offensive operations.

Lessons learned. 1. Attack Weapons- see above
    2. As i rose in level the small colonies got harder too. I hate that :-)
    3. I never tried attacking a Regular Colony or Large Colony, for achievement purposes this could be a mistake. Time will tell.
    4. I came in with too small of an army. 300 of each type of attack troop is just not enough unless you like constantly rebuilding. I'm now up to 500 each attack troops. That is probably still too small.
    5. The better the perceived value of the loot you are getting from a colony, the more likely it will be attacked.
    6. You will lose colonies- deal with it.

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    I have decided to do tactical pause on PvP while I build up weapons. I found myself constantly chasing attack weapons or buying them in TO. I went in with 1400 weapons and that was not nearly enough. I'm building up to 15K attack weapons before I resume offensive operations.
    Try me. 30k in stock, getting ready to do a huge T3 for achievement, nail the first attempt due to unexpected and unretreatable intercept...do it again and barely take it (those are fairly hard tbh unless you get sorta lucky), build up troops again to do the Regular T3 colony and notice having just about 14k attack weapons left...kinda dropped my jaw on that one.

2. As i rose in level the small colonies got harder too. I hate that :-)
    That's where your mistake starts, don't go beyond Tier 1 unless you are focusing on levling, as the troops cost/time vs loot/colony yield just isn't really in your favor whatsoever. On small T1, once you "trimmed" your losses, you can break even with the loot (7/10 cases) and maybe a cycle or 2 of colony yield, rest could be considered profit.

3. I never tried attacking a Regular Colony or Large Colony, for achievement purposes this could be a mistake. Time will tell.
    As of right now, no benefit to do thoes achievements as there is no reward pending for it. Just epeen. Though we'll likely see more of that Easter stuff, where there will be Expedition achievements to level your Basket or whatever it'll be....and then they'd go likely hand in hand to some degree.

4. I came in with too small of an army. 300 of each type of attack troop is just not enough unless you like constantly rebuilding. I'm now up to 500 each attack troops. That is probably still too small.
    This gets individual very fast. For my personal records, I eyed the colonies to be about... ~60-120 losses (~4 colonies with that setup), 120-180 losses (about 10 setups or so) and 200+ losses (thats more like 2 entire maps rather than setups) and those are the ones I will cancel. Skipping to a) not waste that many troops b) keep myself in the Tier 1 category rather than going into T2 and beyond. Usually have 2 Explorers handy to keep me floating.

6. You will lose colonies- deal with it.
    That's just fine I guess. You should check the attacker message regardless and compare how many troops were lost in that attempt, try to figure if you did a better job, worse job, or if it was a mega blunder or an inefficient XP farming.

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by bigphilokc View Post
    Point #3- My assumption is that you will eventually try PvP. You might as well have it ready when the time comes. My thought process was before the Level 75 announcement.
    I have lvl5 in both, in the event I ever did change my mind... New release changes that... can keep armory to make profit selling weapons, destroy academy to regain a spot and a bl! Agree with you on that last statement!
    “Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.”
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    Well after taking a long break, I finally decided to do a few PvPs. I was also upgrading my main barracks during Thanksgiving Holidays so maybe that was part of it :-).
    I had two goals - capture the regular colony and capture the large colony and get attacked in turn and defend my colonies. I was able to capture the colonies without having to review tactics and such. I started out with over 15K in weapons and got fairly low but never ran out.

Regular colony results-1000 troops lost- Colony captured
    Large Colony results 1267 troops lost- Colony captured
    To lower my troop count, i went ahead attacked a small colony owned by another player. 912 troops lost- colony captured.

During this entire period, my colonies were never attacked. Did not seem like much activity going on in PvP land with all the new content in the main game.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    The Question on PvP: Can you attack people on your friend's list whether on purpose or accidentally. The answer is NO! I did confirm this with people in the know. This may explain why some people get attack a lot and others not at all.

Reply to Thread