Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Settlers Online Slim Browser Version

Veteran General
    World
    Ares

Settlers Online Slim Browser Version

Pardon my ignorance, but what is it? You do not really seem to offer any kind of explanation. The FAQ does not explain anything either. By downloading and installing this are the game files on my computer? Will we have to sit through the update process every other time we open the program like iTunes? Settlers Online SSSUUUCCCKKKSSS so much bandwidth, is this meant to curb that? Asking Google what Slim Browser is seems to suggest it is just another Web browser, but your FAQ keeps talking about Chrome. I am so confused right now.

Anywho, what is it? Why should we download it?
    One army. Pretty please.

World
    Zeus
    yeah, I would like a more detailed explanation on what this download is ? If this download makes the game run any better/smoother then I'm so for it !

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    The "Slim Browser Version" (like the one they released for Anno Online) is a stand-alone, single-task browser. It works better if you have Chrome installed as it uses a different flash but you don't need Chrome to be installed for it to work.

I don't like to run Anno or TSO in the browser that I use for everything else b/c it bogs it down, adds memory, etc, so I have multiple web-browsers installed so I can basically dedicate on to TSO, one to Anno, and one to everything I use a browser for.

It's a higher overall memory use but the independent applications work better which means that browsing, TSO, and Anno each work better and are individually more responsive.

I used the slim version for Anno Online but I probably won't for TSO b/c I have a to-do list addon for the browser I set aside for TSO and I use it pretty heavily and it's convenient. The biggest downside I've noticed so far is the control bar on the right seems to be unhideable.

Settler
    World
    Zeus

Slim Browser Version?

Any one know what this is supposed to do that the online version doesn't?

World
    Ares
    Hello everyone,

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Beard View Post
    yeah, I would like a more detailed explanation on what this download is ? If this download makes the game run any better/smoother then I'm so for it !
    Quote Originally Posted by SweaterPuppies View Post
    your FAQ keeps talking about Chrome. I am so confused right now.

Anywho, what is it? Why should we download it?
    The Slim Browser version is simply a bundle including a web browser (based on Chromium) and all the necessary add-ons to run the game. Is it configured to use the best settings for the game by default. You can play the game, access the forums and contact Customer Support through it.

We mention Google Chrome because it comes with a special Flash plugin which is often faster and offers better game performance than the original Adobe Plugin. The Slim Browser is compatible with both Flash Plugin versions.

Quote Originally Posted by theWhiteCane View Post
    The biggest downside I've noticed so far is the control bar on the right seems to be unhideable.
    Try CTRL+SHIFT+F

BB_Endesmor

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Endesmor View Post
    Try CTRL+SHIFT+F

BB_Endesmor
    Oh, I did. It has no effect no the bar.

Settler
    World
    Ares
    Been on the slim browser version for a couple of hours and I generally like it. Nice work.

I cannot get the side bar to go away with Cntrl+Shift+F either and I'd really like that to be hidden.

I also don't like that the game window stays on top of my task bar instead of the task bar popping up over it. This hides the clock from me unless I switch windows.

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Endesmor View Post
    [...] Try CTRL+SHIFT+F

BB_Endesmor
    That is full-screen mode, which does work in a matter of speaking... It would be nice to be in regular mode and not have that bar, however. Thank you.
    “Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.”
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Settler
    World
    Ares
    Dunno what changed but Control+Shift+F now works for me.

World
    Zeus
    Another suggestion:

When switching to 'Forum', the browser runs a pop-up (which appears to function just fine), but when done, and returning to the game, it puts one back at the start screen. It would be nice to be back where I was in-game prior to jumping to the forum.

Thank you.
    “Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.”
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Reply to Thread