Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Away from keyboard" button, please!

Recruit
    World
    Ares

"Away from keyboard" button, please!

It would be so helpful if we had some sort of indicator to use when we're not sitting in front of the computer. Sometimes players think no response means I'm ignoring them, but I'm actually dealing with other things when they try to contact me. Please, please, please?

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    Sometimes players think no response means I'm ignoring them
    Take that as a hint of who you should pay more/less attention to in the future.

Then again, /afk has been a thing that I've had for years as well /nods

Mayor
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by WyldSage View Post
    It would be so helpful if we had some sort of indicator to use when we're not sitting in front of the computer. Sometimes players think no response means I'm ignoring them, but I'm actually dealing with other things when they try to contact me. Please, please, please?
    uhm, how about just logging out?

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    uhm, how about just logging out?
    For the same reason you don't shut down your PC when you are going to the bathroom/get some coffee....?

World
    Zeus
    +1! Awesome! Perhaps the best single 'new' idea posted in, like, forever on these forums. Seriously, great idea.
    "My religion encompasses all religions. I believe in God, I believe in the universe. I believe you are god, I believe I am god; I believe the earth is god and the universe is god. We're all god."
    --- Ray Bradbury

Mayor
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceruhe View Post
    For the same reason you don't shut down your PC when you are going to the bathroom/get some coffee....?
    yeah, cause closing a browser window is soooooooooooooo much work

World
    Zeus
    +1 Though Troll-Phu is correct and it is easy to close/open browsers, I do like leaving my account logged in so that I can keep my System Log running and review for suspicious actions when back at kb, while offline, nothing is logged.

Quote Originally Posted by kzar View Post
    online - green light
    afk - yellow light
    inactive - grey avatar

= system crash, probably
    +1 ...with the usual grey light for offline (not necessarily inactive), good touch, I like the idea of being able to see if folks are inactive; that way I can start pruning FL that are no longer playing.

Now, I propose to add the following:

'Skulking Mode' = Switch which allows player to play their account without the green light being on.
    “Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.”
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Settler
    World
    Ares
    I prefer the customizable /afk commands I've seen here and there around the internet.

Really nice to be able to set a custom reply with your afk switch. I see the verbiage as a nice tool to indicate when I might be back. I'm often semi-afk for hours at a time where I might reply immediately or 15 minutes from now whenever I happen to pass by my machine again with time to look at it.

Admittedly, colored lights mean that you can see a person's status without contacting them but there are acouple of complications that I see with that. First, the palette choice. BB has historically not been all that considerate of color blind players with their color choices and I don't see that miraculously changing so my gut says that they would pick two colors I can't differentiate so it would be a useless implementation for *me*. And I guess other color blind folks, but who cares about them? This is about *me. Second, I already note that the online indicator is regularly wonky. Sometimes there's a 5-10 min lag before the indicators are correct at the beginning of a session and then random wonkiness that shows someone offline when they are online as well. Additional complications there may not be feasible at this time.

World
    Zeus
    In the old Might & Magic series, when you didn't rest your team of adventurers their avatars aged and got all haggard looking, eventually turning to skulls if you pushed it far enough. It'd be kinda fun to do the same for inactives.

I'm one of those players who logs in in the morning and stays on all day, but am usually around the corner in my workshop. I used to take smoke breaks, but now I take game breaks and logging back in shaves time off my break time. Also, during events, I can listen for my explorers to come back while I'm working and send them back out real quick. Some kind of afk msg would be great. I like the idea a lot.
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    death by feature overload. afk works perfectly fine

Reply to Thread