Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to calculate the value of a loot spot

World
    Zeus
    Conceptually, the process is good in the calculating in rl, in here, with so many other fluid motives driving players, those prices may not always happen, things like events drive ls prices as well. Unlike real life, players will spend more than they should because they can without punishment, so... imho, prices are always dynamic.

Agree with KingHomer on keeping to swap whenever possible.
    “Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.”
    J. R. R. Tolkien

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll-Phu View Post
    if you are trying to justify one of the shady price guides out there, where guilds use 2 separate ones to cheat players with then I guess the math works...........
    First, I'm not trying to justify anything. Far too many people don't seem to understand what a LS is really worth (just look at some of the responses here) and there's constant bickering over what each one is worth. There's really no reason to argue. This isn't something about how you feel or who's manipulating what, it's just simple math. Maybe the percentages are a bit off (I think they're pretty accurate), maybe granite actually sells for 3.4 instead of 3.5 (it's sure to change day to day), but overall, this is the answer and there's really no debate.

Next, the only thing shady here is your comment. It's really out of line for you to imply anything underhanded. I don't have anything to do with either of the price guides other than to say "thanks for the hard work" (something you might want to try). The prices used here are the prices I sell at every day and the guide is simply for future pricing.

If you have something positive to contribute, great, let's hear it. Otherwise, just say "thanks" and move on.

World
    Ares
    A loot spot has absolutely zero intrinsic value; it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Some LS will be worth more to some players than others, and every player's opinion is likely to vary based on what their specific goals are at the time and their own aversion to risk, as paying for a loot drop is more gambling than anything. As a buyer you might think a BK LS is worth 900c; I might not be willing to pay more than 700. Neither of us is wrong. As a seller, if I really need to get 900c, then it's worth 900c. It has nothing to do with what the loot might conceivably be "worth" if the stars are in alignment and the gods want to drop a dark castle on my head.

Retired Community Leader
    World
    Ares
    Essentially, the lootspot sales are futures purchases. People are purchasing the opportunity to get the loot roll, which may or may not be worth what they are paying. There are some other considerations that can come into play, such as adventures that are rare and needed for a quest or achievement. Beyond the straight financial is the value assigned to experience, which is a new factor since the creation of the mini-quests.

The base formula used to assign a value is more or less accurate, as many people simply base the cost on the desirable resources. The addition of the more rare occurences, especially building drops, is not typical, and would tend to inflate the price well beyond what would be considered market value, since the values of the buildings are relatively high.

I would not agree that it is the seller that determines the value though. The value of the spot is ultimately what someone will pay for it, regardless of the desires of the seller. At some point, the seller has to either take what is offered for the spot, or lose it by completing the adventure with it unfilled. Swapping should give more to the person doing the adventure, as it not only provides the resources of the first slot, but the actual resources for the other slots as well.

World
    Zeus
    I really appreciate playing with smart and helpful people. Thanks Up!

World
    Zeus
    While Upgraydedds logic makes perfect sense....SweaterPuppies' post is the reality.

Reply to Thread