View Poll Results: What level of chat should be permitted in the Trade channel?

Voters
96. This poll is closed
  • Non-disruptive small talk (current rule)

65 67.71%
  • Trade posts only

26 27.08%
  • Channel unnecessary - remove completely

5 5.21%
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trade Channel and Player-Created Event Update

World
    Zeus

Trade Channel and Player-Created Event Update

Recently, there has again been an increase in player complaints, on both North American servers, regarding disruptions in the trade channels. This includes both general chatting and violations of the code of conduct. The current chat guidelines allow for general small talk "as long as it does not interfere with trade chat". Based on the volume of complaints and the review of the chat that triggered them, the chat occurring is interfering with with trading. The question of continuing to allow small talk in the the trade channel has been brought up by several players. The poll attached to this post is intended to give us some general feedback on the current flow of the trade channel.

The purpose of the Code of Conduct and related guidelines is to provide structure for general player interaction. The goal is to allow for the maximum interaction in chat that is permissible under the Terms of Service and PEGI rules. Currently, there is no plan to change the Code of Conduct or guidelines to make trade chat more restrictive. However, the chat moderators will be continuing to enforce the current Code of Conduct, and will be monitoring the number of player reports to ensure trade chat is working as desired.

In a related matter, about two years ago we invited feedback regarding player-created events and updated the guidelines concerning them. The original post can be reviewed here. These guidelines did not include player-created events that focused primarily on trading, such as auctions, and the current guidelines unnecessarily restrict activities that are reasonably expected. There are additional changes due to the reduction in the number of chat channels. The guidelines do not represent changes in the Code of Conduct, but are intended as guidance on how the Moderators will be interpreting them.

As before, constructive feedback regarding the trade channel flow and the player-created event guidelines is invited. Please remember the posts should be on-topic, and should otherwise follow the forum rules. This is not intended to be a discussion regarding player interactions with the Moderators or Customer Service, and posts relating to that will be removed and may result in forum sanctions. If needed, this post may be separated to create individual feedback threads.
    Magenta
    Community Moderator

TSO on Twitter & Facebook

World
    Zeus
    Guidelines for player giveaways, events, and auctions.

Giveaways
    • Posting trade offers for resources with a trivial cost.
    • There is no requirement for taking the trade
    • Trades are posted by the person with the resources.
    • No interaction requirement for the person taking the trade.
    These may be held in trade channel or in Globals 2-5. When using the trade channel, players should be considerate of the other people using the channel and act accordingly.

Contests.
    • An activity where resources (or items) are awarded to specific players
    • The receiving player is determined through an activity
    • May not include any buy-in, under the code of conduct
    Contests that are spontaneous and of short duration (less than 10 minutes) may occur in Global-1 or in Globals 2-5. Longer contests or those that are scheduled may occur in Globals 2-5. All contests must comply with the code of conduct.

Auctions.
    • An activity where resources (or items) are awarded to specific players
    • The receiving player is determined through a bidding system in open chat
    Auctions should be held in Globals 2-5. All auctions must comply with the code of conduct. For the purpose of event control, the auctioneer or his/her designee are considered the event leaders.

General Event Information
    Player created events are not sponsored by Blue Byte and the contents of the event are the responsibility of the player, provided it is compliance with the code of conduct. Disruption of player-created events is not permitted, and disruptive players may be requested to stop by the event leader(s). Continued disruption of player-created events after requested to stop may be considered in violation of the code of conduct. Further information regarding the player-created events and the code of conduct can be found here.
    Event Scheduling.
    Events can be scheduled on the player schedule contained within the player forum. For global channels 2-5, we request that priority for channel use is given to people who have reserved the channel through the forum calendar. Please request ample time to prevent scheduling conflicts. Advertising for player events may occur in Global 1 or through the forums only, with the exception of Auctions which may be advertised in Trade also. Event advertising should follow the same guidelines as other advertisements, and should be non-disruptive.

Selling of Adventure Participation.
    The code of conduct does not regulate how a player assigns participation in an adventure. Public trade offers relating to this activity should be posted in the trade channel. The contents of the trades posted are the responsibility of the players.
    Magenta
    Community Moderator

TSO on Twitter & Facebook

World
    Zeus
    Why is this even up for a vote? It should be obvious that no additional enforcement is needed and if anything, we need less involvement from the mods and more community policing. This idea that players "may" do this or "may" do that is backasswards. Players make the community and players should be encouraged to participate, without the threat of heavy-handed moderation, or ultimately bans.

Mayor
    World
    Zeus
    seems the self-righteous are feeling the effects of the mass migration from the game, if such a vote is needed to be done.

Mayor
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceruhe View Post
    02:22 [some dude A]: RB ls for 1500 fish posted w/m when bought
    02:40 [some other dude]: so what's up, anything going on?
    02:44 [yet another dude]: errbody is sleeping, what do you expect?
    02:45 [some dude A]: Omg can you take this chatter somewhere else? People are trading here.
    I think I have seen something similar.. and Agreed that personally, it doesn't seem like disruption to me..

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    The chance to have conversations like this publicly almost always makes more sense to me than keeping things behind closed doors* and all "A said..."/"B said..."/"Well in secrets mail that no-one can see a lot of people said..." I gotta ask:

Channel unnecessary - remove completely
    How is removing the trade tab, presumably from only the two servers Zeus and Ares, an option?

*If a secret plan to rescue Cousin Uther from rampaging yak pirates must be kept secret to work, that's different.

World
    Zeus
    02:22 [some dude A]: RB ls for 1500 fish posted w/m when bought
    02:40 [some other dude]: so what's up, anything going on?
    02:44 [yet another dude]: errbody is sleeping, what do you expect?
    02:45 [some dude B who has no trades posted and hasn't said anything in trade chat all day/ever before]: Omg can you take this chatter somewhere else? People are trading here
    I fixed the above. And while the LAST guy might be the ACTUAL disruption, I think we can all survive it without need for any intervention.

World
    Zeus
    I completely agree that 'dude B' might seem a bit anxious, or something, but I would say that it would not matter in the least if he/she/it was on all day or had previously posted on trade chat or not within that session; if they make a post, they make a post - there is no requirement for posting every hour to stay in the 'queue', the only issue that matters is if they comply with the rules set forth.
    “Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.”
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    Trade channel activity, short of flame wars, is good for the game. If I see 6,7,8 players chatting, commenting on loot spot prices, occasionally discussing non-trade topics but generally coming back to trade in the end or when someone posts an interesting offer, then it helps promote an active trade market and game.

I can only remember a few times when I was annoyed enough in trade to actually ignore someone, and only once did I actually do that.

As long as most of the talk comes back to trading it's all fine by me, no need to mod more.

And the occasional disruptions to trade from someone giving away stuff is fine by me too. Those are few and far between and sometimes I even get an item

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Small talk in trade brings life to the game. without life the game gets boring... then people start leaving.

Reply to Thread