Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Game Master vs. Community Manager

World
    Zeus

Game Master vs. Community Manager

I see TSO is cycling through some more BB staffers, wishing the best for everyone - leaving and arriving.

However, something that has had me curious for some time:

What is the difference and roles of the job titles Game Master and Community Manager?

Thank you in advance.
    “Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.”
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    So do they need to leggo their Eggos?
    One army. Pretty please.

World
    Zeus
    What I'd really like to know is:

<1> How long does a game master have to play the game in order to qualify for the job?
    <2> Other than write an introduction and goodbye post, what does a game master do?
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

World
    Zeus
    BB_Endesmor was a Community Manager (If memory serves), and in my almost 3 years in TSO, the only BB who responded at all. Not sure what the Game Master thing is, ergo my question. Must note, however, I like the recent posts/info from BB_Alex - Useful for understanding the mechanics and behind the scenes of the game.
    “Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.”
    J. R. R. Tolkien

World
    Zeus
    Yep, BB_Endesmor was a jewel of a CM. It was like he was one of us and cared about the game and the community.

I'm also am very much liking the posts from BB_Alex. Hope he sticks around and continues them.
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

World
    Ares
    I think the best Community Manager/Game Master is BB_Alex as he takes the time to explain what's going on. So far anyway.

Egos, imo, has no place when you are serving your community.
    Still around from time to time.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    In other MMOs I have played with similar "C&C" structures, CoMas were paid employees of the dev, whose primary responsibility was direct interaction with player community, both in the game and in the forum. Should probably surprise no one that the CoMas who were regarded higher by players were the ones who took time to interact in the game and on the forum. "GMs" were volunteer players, who were supposedly chosen based on actual game experience and ability to communicate between player community and paid staff. In reality, many times GMs were selected in a largely political "who do you know" kind of process, and they weren't always the best choice for being the primary conduit between players and staff.

Not sure if this is the same structure with BB, but that's how it has worked in other communities I have been part of.

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlime View Post
    I think the best Community Manager/Game Master is BB_Alex as he takes the time to explain what's going on. So far anyway.

Egos, imo, has no place when you are serving your community.
    BB_Alex is (as my memory serves) a (was?) design team member. Interesting he did not author any posts in the forum, looks like his info was copy/pasted from other sources.

In any case, I' sure love to see a BB response to this thread! Help us understand the people we are dealing with and what we should expect from them.
    J. R. R. Tolkien

World
    Zeus
    This is a very good question, and I will try to get an official, more detailed explanation of the roles and responsibility. In the meantime, I can offer a bit of insight based on my experience and the points brought up.

Generally, the Blue Byte game team consists of two roles - the Community Managers and the Game Masters. They work together to ensure the game is working as intended. The Community Manager is responsible for player interaction, including the chat channels and forums. They are responsible for providing information from the players, such as the diaries, sneak peaks, and change logs. They are also responsible for providing feedback from the community to the developers and other departments. Unlike some other games, the Game Master is not a promoted player and is an employee of Blue Byte; although they may also be playing the game on one or more servers. Their primary responsibility is in the actual performance of the game, addressing player tickets and performance issues.

The Moderators generally answer to the Community Manager, although we are in communication with the Game Master as well. We are not employees of Blue Byte nor do we represent the company. Being a Community Moderator requires at least one year of game play, and much show both an understanding of the code of conduct and a significant understanding of the game itself. Players are not required to stop playing the game, but are required to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement concerning any private information gained through our interaction with the management staff.
    Magenta
    Community Moderator

TSO on Twitter & Facebook

World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Raubhautz View Post
    BB_Alex is (as my memory serves) a (was?) design team member. Interesting he did not author any posts in the forum, looks like his info was copy/pasted from other sources.

In any case, I' sure love to see a BB response to this thread! Help us understand the people we are dealing with and what we should expect from them.
    Copying or not, at least he's brave to post something game related. I hear that you would like to know who is behind the game. Right now, it all seems elitist.
    Still around from time to time.

Reply to Thread