Thread: [Feedback] Chat History Activation

World
    Ares

[Feedback] Chat History Activation

Hello Settlers!

Please share your feedback for the recently implemented chat history activation.

Have fun chatting,

BB_Aeyline

Retired Community Leader
    World
    Ares
    While I have to applaud any improvement of the chat system, I had a few thoughts when reading it, and even more when seeing it on the test server. First, another player pointed out that the time-stamps for the chat goes all the way to providing the year it was said. If that is useful information, then we have much bigger issues that need to be addressed.

One problem I see is that the 15 lines is larger than the normal sized chat window. For guilds, that means the message of the day that is posted will always be pushed off screen when a player logs in. We use the MotD to give basic information to the guild, to save having to send letters for minor things. I am afraid that with it being pushed off immediately, it will not longer be of much use.

A bigger question is what is intended to be accomplished with giving the recent chat when someone logs in. I can see that it would allow people to start chatting immediately once they enter the game, as they can jump right into the conversation. It will provide an indication of when the last person chatted and the window will not be blank when someone goes into that channel. That may actually inhibit chatting, as if no one has spoken for a while, people may feel it is not worth the effort to start chatting.

Another concern is the impact this will have on chat lag. It is hard to say without knowing the mechanism that is used to recover the previous text, but I would guess that it needs to take the information from a log somewhere. Will it slow down chat or trigger more of the chat resets that occur with zoning?

Finally, next time someone is looking to improve chat, how about they remove the ghost whisper that is still present after several chat improvements? Even if it is an issue of a not received whisper when off-line, you would think that just automatically zeroing the notification field would prevent players from experiencing it. Since there is already a procedure that is going to be run when the player logs into chat to load the chat log information, perhaps it is a good time to exorcise the chat ghost.

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    Hmm, this is already not happening? I have noticed in the last week one of the many times a day the game Flash crashes my browser that when I log back in I have old chat messages.
    One army. Pretty please.

World
    Zeus
    well....this didnt happen

Mayor
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_J View Post
    well....this didnt happen
    I think people need to have chatted at one point after they started it, so that means no one has been on since.........dead chat history is better than no chat history

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    I'd be happy with chat not crashing... whisper not being PURPLE... being able to choose colours I can SEE.. before i get history... i dont need to see the what was happening when i log in - i say hello and jump on in
    cb

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll-Phu View Post
    I think people need to have chatted at one point after they started it, so that means no one has been on since.........dead chat history is better than no chat history
    nop i was in guild chat, refreshed, and no previous posts were there

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciara_Belle View Post
    I'd be happy with chat not crashing... whisper not being PURPLE... being able to choose colours I can SEE.. before i get history... i dont need to see the what was happening when i log in - i say hello and jump on in
    cb
    I'd be happy if I didn't have to reset chat to no colors EVERY single time I sign in. Couldn't this be added to the Options or someplace where it can be set once and left alone? If I had a dime for every time I've had to change the chat colors, I'd have...well, a bunch of dimes.

World
    Ares
    Hello Settlers!

Due to the game deployment that took place this week, Chat History activation has been postponed until further notice. Once the procedure is rescheduled, an announcement will be made to notify our players.

See you in-game,

BB_Aeyline