Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pumpkins on the horizon

Noble
    World
    Ares

Pumpkins on the horizon

Yes, The Halloween is approaching this year and it will soon be here. Testers had already a chance to see the new feature implemented on test server. What is it?

Well, this year if you do adventures, you will not get pumpkins in your loot. They are replaced with pumpkin refills which you use on your pumpkin fields. The fields can be buffed and refilled with the refills from adventures loot. Does it make any difference? Slight.

This year managing your fields (buffing and refilling) will have direct impact on number of pumpkins you gain during events. You can make the same short term 4x buffs in your provision house, but since you are going to have to refill your fields there will be a bit more attention needed to maintain them. I am sure it will not break the game for people who spend 8 hrs a day playing it, but for most regular players this will be somehow a small (or a big) pain in the butt.

Not to worry, BB provided a special buff that revitalize your fields in case you had to go to work and forgot to check on your fields 4th time before launch and your fields went dry. Apply your buff, add a refill and your fields are as good as new.

This is only my opinion, but I feel this just blows. More chores, more effort and attention required from me on the top of running adventures over and over to get refills. Feel free to share yours.

What I also would like to know is why only people 66+ get the XP quest (the forgotten)? That seems like a nice chunk of xp that players 54+ could possibly get and use. Yea, lets reward those who can spend 12 hrs a day playing the game and funk all the losers who can't devote more than 4 hrs a day to the game. Brilliant.

http://settlersonlinewiki.eu/en/even...en-event-2016/ - wiki info page on the event
    [11:48] davivo: I don't know why you pick on the Nords so much, they're such nice friendly folk looking for a place to raise their kids
    [11:50] aZr4el: not my fault that they carry lots of xp around and wont part with it unless you take it from their dead bodies

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    During the last event, I felt the event items were so minimal from adventures that I didn't even bother going out of my way like I normally do and just kept running mostly Wood Cutter as usual. I'm not sure it matters much either way. Pumpkins from explorers hugely makes up for any shortcomings, though.

Veteran General
    World
    Zeus
    Actually I'd say that having the explorers bring back pumpkins is better for casual players than last year's system. Most adventures really didn't drop that much. I expect to get more pumpkins this year than previous years.

World
    Zeus
    Don't forget Pinkleet, Halloween is the one event where explorers did not bring back event currency. Having explorers bring back pumpkins this year should make a big difference.

Seems like making the pumpkin fields refillable using refills from adventures is a good way to balance out the change of adding explorer searches this year. The other option would have been to lose the pumpkin fields altogether and leave adventures dropping pumpkins, which would make Halloween exactly the same as every other event. I'm glad they opted to keep the fields. Since I have a lot of explorers, I might not need to run many adventures or worry about the refills too much. Time will tell.

The thing that stands out to me is that BB has been constantly striving to make improvements over the past year. But they can't please all the people all the time. Maybe it will "just blow", like you say, or maybe it'll be pretty good overall.
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

Settler
    World
    Ares
    I dislike the pumpkin refills: Once you have enough to last the event, they are only valuable as a trade item. The closer we get to the end of the event, the less value they will have. At the end, when there isn't enough time left for them to pay off before the patches stop producing, they are valueless. Getting them as loot at that point is a kick in the gonads.

Essentially, this event will wind down at the end with a quiet whimper instead of a bang.

The economic impact of the refill element is a disincentive to play hard and long to try to gather a lot of pumpkins in a short period of time. There will be no 11th hour efforts to get enough for this or that item because everything will be so metered through the return of explorers and the farming of patches.

In other words, you could probably make a great Venn diagram showing passive aggressive micro-managers and people who one week after the end of this event still think that patch refills are a great idea.

I actually feel targeted because I ran a minimum of 5 BKs a day last year and racked up enough pumpkins in loot to get all the loot and help out friends and guildies with my leftovers. This year, those same persons will have to subsist on the BB patch dole. I can't excel through hard work and long hours this year.

This change does not meet my approval.

Mayor
    World
    Zeus
    agreed with tbone this change I guess was brought to get players to gem buy pumpkins not sure how well that will work out. events have always been a adventure farmers bread and butter and now no real reason to do any. did the math and not worth it to me, sure fill and buff, but that takes a long long time and I know this is a patience game but now it's like 1 event away from a coma. BB events where time to run and swap adventures like mad and get what you wanted but now seems like you got us standing in the free cheese line waiting.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    First off, I hate the idea of refill as well, it's another layer of work.

But.....have anyone here actually tested out the drop rate of refill? From my experience on test server, unless you plan on running 500+ bk (or ~350 with premium), don't get your hopes up on any surplus whatsoever.

I know my pumpkin fields won't be on 24/7 anyway.

Settler
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by lastsw View Post
    First off, I hate the idea of refill as well, it's another layer of work.

But.....have anyone here actually tested out the drop rate of refill? From my experience on test server, unless you plan on running 500+ bk (or ~350 with premium), don't get your hopes up on any surplus whatsoever.

I know my pumpkin fields won't be on 24/7 anyway.
    You need roughly 2725 refills to be good for the event. About 2100 of those will need to go into nobles. Nobles will produce about 70% of your 'patch pumpkins' for the event.

So, you need about 130 refills a day or so to be 'comfy'. With Bandit's Nest dropping 10/35 and BK dropping 6/21 - it's in the range of very doable for someone who has the resources and time to run the adventures.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    Guess me and my friend are just unlucky then, or BB maybe changed the drop rate after our test.

Getting a lot of 0 refill back then, like more than 50% of the time, 40 bk only end up with 180+ refills(no premium).

Noble
    World
    Ares
    Basically, if you have plenty of explorers running searcher you are OK. If not, than use the gems and buy some. I think that was the incentive to make the event this way. Players with 21 explorers will get plenty of pumpkins from searches as they don't need everything from the pumpkin shop. Cemeteries and refills will be just an addition to explorers yield. If you don't have enough explorers - double sell on gems already ran twice.

And yes, dropping a nice quest chain rewarding not only pumpkins but also xp for players 66+ is a nice touch. How many of those are on all servers? 5% of player base?

Reply to Thread