Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Maintenance all worlds - Oct 25 - 14 hour outage

Veteran General
    World
    Zeus
    I got a gift from them: 20 pumpkins, 1 day Premium, and a group of Werewolf's Howl. The buffs are nice, although I wish refills came with them.

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    they did the maintance now having log in trouble, was on this morning, knew of a problem left laptop on but it closed down while was in town, been trying 3 almost 4 hours to get back on

Noble
    World
    Ares
    Well, my guildies were a bit disappointed about me not bashing BB for this thing. To be honest, nobody in sane mind does a "database maintenance" in a middle of a popular event when servers are going 150% full steam with many players getting active because of the event.

What probably happen was important enough to be fixed mid event, whatever the screw up was just couldn't wait till the end of it. Companies often cover up stuff just to prevent the damage to their image. It says "database maintenance" - read emergency shut down for a code bug fix.

I'd rather believe this than the other possibility of some incompetent moron scheduling a database maintenance in a middle of the busiest server time - event. Since BB is not coming clean on this one - each of us can draw his/her own conclusions.

About 10ish years ago a found a start up company developing a space flight sim game. Played it on and off for roughly 2 years while the game went from alpha to beta stage. Fantastic time with awesome players and the cherry on top - the devs were also playing it too so you could meet one almost everyday in game universe. Since the game was in development servers were down about 2-3 times a week while changes were made, and new changes sometimes were loaded with bugs. I remember devs discussing what changes were made in game chats and openly saying "yep we screwed up, server is going down while we are trying to find what happened. Hang in there guys, check the forums for updates"

This game had the most loyal fan base I have ever seen. Players loved the devs for honesty, openness and the love of their own game. Of course, while under development the devs didn't have to deal with a publisher watching their every move, game image on social media and all the other crap. That's given.

I still hope one day there will be a studio where devs can tell people straight up what's what. O wait. Maybe I should start a mmorpg
    [11:48] davivo: I don't know why you pick on the Nords so much, they're such nice friendly folk looking for a place to raise their kids
    [11:50] aZr4el: not my fault that they carry lots of xp around and wont part with it unless you take it from their dead bodies

World
    Zeus
    Now that was not so bad, was it?

World
    Zeus
    LOL @ Epsilon
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    The notice and timing could use some improvement, but if it needed to be done and everything is now functioning normally again, better to stop for a bit than just letting it get worse.

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    Y'know, I played a lot on Anno Online. One of the recurrent issues there was players getting "zonelocked" - which is what the game did if a database inconsistency showed up, locked that user out to prevent further damage. Usually, it would only last a few hours as an automated script would fix minor errors, sometimes it took a day or 2 when human intervention was needed.

And then rarely, it was REALLY screwed up, and a very few people ended up with permanently dead accounts, which they couldn't trace/fix the errors. So, don't take database issues lightly, folks. If there really was database problem it needed fixing pronto - and if for example a code bug was causing database issues, they would want to shut everything down to make sure they caught 'em all.

Noble
    World
    Ares
    Now, you seem to be pretty good about it Llewelyn. How about you applying for intern position at BB?
    [11:48] davivo: I don't know why you pick on the Nords so much, they're such nice friendly folk looking for a place to raise their kids
    [11:50] aZr4el: not my fault that they carry lots of xp around and wont part with it unless you take it from their dead bodies

Reply to Thread