Reply to Thread

Thread: Playing TSO on Android/ISO devices...

Soldier
    World
    Ares

Cool Playing TSO on Android/IOS devices...

Hey all,

In the LoAR guild, we had been talking about trying to play TSO from an Android/IOS device. In the discussion we talked about multiple browsers that should/potentionally worked. I, for one, had trouble trying to get puffin or several other browsers to work correctly on my Android phone or tablet.

In my journeys in the world away from TSO, I came across Chrome Remote Desktop (it was included on a page that had a lot of chrome extensions/plugins listed). So, being of the adventurist type, I installed it to give it a test run.

I have to tell ya, for being an extention of Chrome, I'm mighty surpised at how fast the remote connection was. And clarity too.

I was able to browse the island, moving it in the window, click on Collectibles, buildings, etc and make changes. Moving the island was one of the major problems with the other browsers that supposedly ran flash games (but they basically redirected the output from a remote server that played the game there, so u were always going through a secondary computer).

It was a little bit of learning curve to figure out how to move and click and such, but was easy to figure out (I didn't read the help entries )

So, if you'd like to play TSO mobile, give Chrome Remote Desktop a shot. It gets my 2 thumbs up!

Korishan

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    Just a quick update.

I tried using this away from home today. I was at WallyWorld and was able to connect and move around fairly well. It was jittery, but I think I will chalk that up to WW's wifi being overtaxed with all the ppl still shopping in there. I had to d/l to my tablet while I was there, and it was a really slow d/l. Must slower than I had experienced before.

So, I think it was a success

*UPDATE* Just for clorification, this is a Remote Desktop type of connection. For it to work, you must have ur computer logged on (on to Windows, not really TSO), and have an active internet connection while you are away from the computer/home. When using CRD, you are actually remotely controlling your "computer" from your tablet/phone through the CRD app.

For a side note, if you have multiple monitors, they will also show up in the CRD (Chrome Remote Desktop). At first, I thought I was getting a clear desktop in one section, then getting the active window in another section. But I realized after moving the mouse around a little bit (on a larger screen than the test phone as I did initially), I saw that I had 2 taskbars. Not sure if the monitors show up identical to the layout on you computer, or it decides the orientation. I happen to have one monitor configured to be above my primary, and CRD reflected that. Will try a different arrangement later.

Thanks for the views, but am curious if anyone else has tried it out, let me know what ya think and your experiences with it. Also, if there are other programs/apps you've tried, list 'em so we could all give 'em a shot.

Peace!
    Kori
    Last edited by Korishan; 11-25-16 at 02:13 pm. Reason: CRD clarrificaion

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Korishan View Post
    ...Thanks for the views, but am curious if anyone else has tried it out, let me know what ya think and your experiences with it. Also, if there are other programs/apps you've tried, list 'em so we could all give 'em a shot.

Peace!
    Kori
    I glanced at the extension description, because I too am limited to Puffin, but it's the best I've found for my device. I think that folks not familiar with RD tech need to know that remote desktop is exactly what it sounds like. There is no magic software here. You will be connecting to a PC/machine that you already have access to and the game is actually played through the remote processor, while your phone's processor will be busy with I/O operations including rendering the graphics. I've found RD tech to be very useful in an intranet, like a home network. Even over the internet, without having used Chrome Remote Desktop, I can make an educated guess that it would be better than something like Puffin, because you won't be fighting for server time with other users. You'll have a direct connection to your PC somewhere (home, work, etc) that you have already authorized the connection from the phone.

I don't have the luxury of a PC with internet connection, stuck on public PCs, so I'm also stuck with Puffin. If anyone else has found anything that is truly standalone that works better than Puffin, please post it.

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    I use Photon app on my Ipad, its great for sending out geos and explorers and maintaining you island, no good for doing adventures though. I do reccomend it though. I also use Screens app to remotely access my pc, Photon works best for settlers.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Song View Post
    I use Photon app on my Ipad, its great for sending out geos and explorers and maintaining you island, no good for doing adventures though. I do reccomend it though. I also use Screens app to remotely access my pc, Photon works best for settlers.
    It appears Photon is also available for Android. I'm downloading it to my phone now. Will compare to Puffin and report back. I see the words "cloud streaming", so it sounds like something similar to Puffin, but we'll see. I also see the words "In app purchases" which worries me a bit.

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    Thanks for the info, Sam_Song. I'll also check it out.

Another update for the CRD. I was able to test it out on a better WiFi connection. It worked really well at Publix, fairly decent scrolling and moving about the island. Since the traffic left Walmart, I was able to get a better connection; however, it still was not as good as Pubix.

I haven't tried doing an adventure yet, tho. I might try later on this week. I'll report back with what I find. Just wanna make sure I have an easy adventure.

Kori

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    I find Puffin to work just fine on Amazon Fire for the most part. Adventuring on it is kind of meh but doable. I mostly just kill a bunch of MMAs.

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Song View Post
    I have used Photon for about 9 months when I'm out and want to check on my island. It works great. There are three cursors you can use - a traditional mouse, a click and drag (for moving around the island), and pointer (for tapping on objects). I have used it to do adventures, but you have to know what the troop sends are for each camp before you start the flash aspect of the browser because it resets when you switch between apps and windows. I have even sent blocks (not staggered blocks) with the Photon app - though I don't recommend it.

All in all, if you want to fulfill your need for some TSO, the Photon app does the job and does it pretty well. :-)
    "I don't try to be awesome; it just happens naturally!"

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    I wanted to give an update to this thread instead of creating a new one.

In my first post I mentioned about the Chrome Remote Desktop application. I would like to express this is a great alternative to the Photon or other browsers that support java via remote connections. CRD is relatively fast, does have a little bit of a learning curve and getting used to the tab combinations.

I would like to add another one to this list. TeamViewer. It is another Remote Desktop program. However, unlike CRD, it will monitor transmission speed and automatically adjust the quality of the "image" to try to compensate and keep the actions/commands moving as fast as possible. Several times while using it the screen got a bit fuzzy for a few seconds (especially when moving the map) and then clear right back up. It's fairly easy to use. You do not have to create an account with them to use the program (though, your connection password is not saved and will have to enter it each time you connect).

I've used it on my phone, and on my slower tablet. I was able to connect using Walmarts, Publix, and Winn-Dixie wifi connections as well as tethering from my cell to my tablet. All connections were relatively quick, most of the time (the issues I had I think had to do with my computers wifi connection, not TeamViewer's). The aforementioned stores' wifi's I have noticed have speed bandwidth limitations imposed on them. So a program that can adjust visual quality on the fly made a huge difference. Whereas CRD would freeze and I would have to disconnect/reconnect, TeamViewer would pause (sometimes), adjust quality, and resume. I think only once or twice did I have to reconnect TeamViewer, but again, I think that was my computer's wifi connection, not TeamViewer itself.

That's the update for now. If I find anything else, or settings, or what not to speed up, I'll post them as well. Thanks for viewing and posting comments.

Kori

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Anyone know if anything outside remote connections?

Im on naked browser now which runs this forum as Id expect it to run on a small smart device from 1910 to say, which is fine and good and not needing of anything else. But, will not run TSO.
    The only mobile browser to do so so far basically has an add at the very bottom of the screen, even though was first browser to offer full screen which for the 2 secs was that was perfect for running TSO, everything worked as if was on Desktop with a 5 inche screen.
    Nothing was cut short, had zoom with zoom, scroll, etc.
    Ill try to find it again but spent a gig to get that fair in about 2hrs so trying to limit usage at the moment. Usually takes me 2 weeks to spend a gig and play Astrokings and Guns of Glory daily.

Reply to Thread