Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: COA: Anslem vs Vargus

Veteran General
    World
    Zeus
    I'm more interested on who would do better in fairy tales and of course Black Knights. Odds are, they will be buy-able well before I hit lvl 54 (and I'm not even considering trying Ali Baba before I can produce some elite troops), and I've already cleared my new islands.

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    Sure and I would love to see the numbers saved on Evil Queen using both generals. I would definitely take that into my consideration. But given only the facts shown here it is a clear cut case. My point who cares if i can use anslem on any adv and save 50 if i can use another general 1 time and save 100. To me it is not can i alternate attacks but flat out who saves the most. In this case i can save more on those and alternate attacks. Best of both worlds. If you have tailor series sims done or evil queen showing the savings comparison of anslem vs vargus I and i expect others wouldi love to see them.

World
    Zeus
    Rather than retype everything here's some info from test server comparing Anslem and Vargus. These are nasty camps in Red Riding Hood. I was just nuking these camps with small cats cause they really stink for losses. Now I can use an assassin followed with Anslem to clean them out. If somebody didn't want to use an assassin, RoA's or a 1st wave could likely be used instead with similar results.

http://forum.tsotesting.com/threads/...ll=1#post43787

The barracks times for either general works out about the same, 16 hours and change.

http://forum.tsotesting.com/threads/...ll=1#post43788

While this isn't the entire Evil Queen series, it illustrates the usefullness of Anslem in a context outside of Ali Baba adventures. So with Anlsem able to attack more camps than Vargus overall, he's my choice. At some point we'll be able to get them all anyway, but right now it's important for people to get the general which suits their playing style best. I'm not saying there's a right or wrong answer, but there are different factors to consider.
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    What camps and what adventures can you use Anselm instead of a MG?

World
    Zeus
    Haven't looked at Pied Piper or Snow White yet tomsb1176, but you can get the idea from these three.

Fisherman & his Wife

100 Ryl Mil – 150 Ryl Cav
    MG: 14 MSw- 194Kn- 62Bsg [13 MSw-75Kn]
    Anslem: 23 Msw-30Kn-97Bsg [23MSw-29Kn]

Hansel & Gretel

150 Fox – 100 WolfPackLeader
    MG: 270 KN [75Kn]
    Anslem: 130Kn – 20 Bsg [18Kn]

100 Ryl Cav – 75 Ryl LB – 75 Ryl Mil
    MG: 50 Msw – 160Kn – 60 Bsg [50MSw – 50Kn]
    Anslem: 43 Msw – 30Kn – 77 Bsg [42MSw – 20Kn]

150 Fox – 150 WolfPackLeader – 50 Deer
    MG: 240Kn – 30 Bsg [80Kn]
    Anslem: 150 Kn [64Kn]

200 Wolf – 150 Fox – 50 Deer
    MG: 242Kn – 28 Bsg [81Kn]
    Anslem: 140Kn – 10 Bsg [80Kn]

Red Riding Hood

150 Ryl Mil - 150 Ryl cav
    MG: 45 MSw – 75 Kn 150 Bsg [45 MSw – 75 Kn]
    Anslem: 55 MSw – 45 Kn – 50 Bsg [ 54 MSw – 45 Kn]
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

World
    Zeus
    as i mentioned, anslem being used in more camps is a big turn down to me. i always bring extra troops to send attacks to multiple camps at once, specially on adventures with long walks like 3rd thief or wisdom...speaking of wisdom, i divided in top and bottom halfs to run it faster, but personally i plan to do a mix of vargus attacks plus a small cat on C4 (as i already do)

im not sure what you mean as using anslem in more camps if hours saved in barracks is not that important, thats the point actually....i know people that just care to reduce losses to lower costs, thus neglecting speed....vargus will save more troops and allow advs to be ran faster, on babas that is

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    tomsb - you need to be a little more specific than that to get someone to make some suggestions... lol

Mayor
    World
    Zeus
    I am guessing, Evil's numbers are with blocks.. and so, Vargus would seem to speed up things for sending multiple attacks at one and save time..
    However, I am guess what Perwyn and others are saying is, if you don't block, and only use Majors to kill all required camps, then having Anslem is like having a 3rd Major, and you'll be able to send more attacks in parallel (more, because you do not block, and attack more camps)...

So I think the key here is block vs no blocks makes Vargus vs Anslem seem to help make faster attacks..
    Am I right Perwyn / Evil?

EDIT - Oh, and another variation of faster attacks with Vargus would be, where you use Major, MMA, Vets, all to send multiple attacks (like 10 attacks in parallel)... in such cases also Vargus would seem to be more useful because you need to use him on fewer camps, but save more troops (The speed comes from using multiple generals all at once, and not from using only 2 Majors).. Makes sense?

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_J View Post
    as i mentioned, anslem being used in more camps is a big turn down to me. i always bring extra troops to send attacks to multiple camps at once
    I also bring extra troops and send multiple attacks at once. I already sub in a vet or MMA wherever possible to save time as I absolutely cannot stand using just majors and sitting and waiting, waiting, waiting for the long walks back and forth. So what I'm saying about Anslem is where there might be 3 or 4 attacks in a row that absolutely require a major, and if one of those attacks can be done with Anslem, then subbing him for a major saves a little time. So I'm in no way suggesting using Anslem exclusively in sequential attacks (like against 3 camps in a row for example) and slowing everything down. Just the opposite. I want to break up the times only a major can be used by subbing in Anslem whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_J View Post
    ....if hours saved in barracks is not that important, thats the point actually....i know people that just care to reduce losses to lower costs, thus neglecting speed....vargus will save more troops and allow advs to be ran faster, on babas that is
    Right, which is why I've repeatedly said, it depends on how a person is playing the game. Some people are power levelers and trimming as many losses and as much barracks time as possible is mega important to them. But not everyone plays that way. I run adventures when I'm in the mood and I'm not as worried about losses and barracks time as people that power level are. I'm also going to be running the Evil Queen chain and Anslem is useful in that context.

People are going to be looking for guidance when selecting one of these generals, so as much information as possible needs to be out there. With that being said, everybody that uses Evil_J guides exclusively should get Vargus as you suggest since your guides will be for him.

I'm honestly not trying to be argumentative, there are alternatives to be expressed for the sake of getting as much information out there as possible. There's no right or wrong answer, it depends. People at lower levels probably have totally different perspectives than either one of us might have since I'm 62 and you're 70.

I'm also glad to see Alice joining the discussion as she has useful insights into these generals as well. In answer to your question Alice, I always use blocks where possible.

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshko View Post
    I'm more interested on who would do better in fairy tales and of course Black Knights. Odds are, they will be buy-able well before I hit lvl 54 (and I'm not even considering trying Ali Baba before I can produce some elite troops), and I've already cleared my new islands.
    3 random camps from VLT:

100 Boar - 30 Fox
    Anslem: 65R - 1E - 84K [65R]
    Vargus: 129R - 1E - 50K [129R]

120 Boar - 30 Fox
    Anslem: 94R - 1E - 55K [94R]
    Vargus: 90M - 1E - 89K [89M]

160 Fox
    Anslem: 45R - 1E - 104K [45R]
    Vargus: 100R - 1E - 79K [100R]

Here's the sim I'm using if you want to try a few FT camps yourself http://www.thesettlersonlinewiki.com/combat-sim/

Reply to Thread