Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: COA: Anslem vs Vargus

Settler
    World
    Ares
    question. if using anslem as an attacking gen, do we need more than 1 to achieve the advantage. in other words. can I buy anslem after the event and still have available where it is best.
    reason, I like the sac play so nusala is more sacs against the first strikers.

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    You do not need more than one of either Anslem or Vargas to achieve the advantage. I would not get Nusala for any reason for your first gen. Even at lower levels, I am finding either Vargas or Anslem very effective dealing with traps, shadowsneakers, cav, other first strikers/attack weakest.

It's not clear now if you can get one gen and then buy another of all three from the merchant later, or if it's a max of one. I expect a max of one until someone tells me differently.

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    I want Nusala because I make extensive use of 5 MMAs and want to reduce my waiting time by 40% by basically adding 3 more. That's the most compelling benefit I have seen so far. Probably not very useful for anyone who runs multiple adventures per day and/or who wants to get them over quickly.

The generals will be available in the merchant later, but what that means is anyone's guess. Whether you can get more than one of each or whether they will be available again next Christmas nobody knows.

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    People are going to be looking for guidance when selecting one of these generals, so as much information as possible needs to be out there. With that being said, everybody that uses Evil_J guides exclusively should get Vargus as you suggest since your guides will be for him.

I'm honestly not trying to be argumentative, there are alternatives to be expressed for the sake of getting as much information out there as possible. There's no right or wrong answer, it depends. People at lower levels probably have totally different perspectives than either one of us might have since I'm 62 and you're 70.
    Your arguments are valid as a whole, but off for this topic. It was expressly stated by Evil why he picks Vargus based on the most common/frequently done adventures as far as Ali Babas go. Talking about finer details about every Gens use ought to be placed into another topic as not to derail this one (well, it has been already hehe).

question. if using anslem as an attacking gen, do we need more than 1 to achieve the advantage. in other words. can I buy anslem after the event and still have available where it is best.
    reason, I like the sac play so nusala is more sacs against the first strikers.
    Kind of a quick break down.
    Anslem needs to be alive to be useful, thus he needs to be a kill waver, ergo staying alive.
    Vargus also needs to be alive to be useful, also a kill waver, ergo staying alive.
    Nualsa can be either a kill waver or a sac however you need it, does not have to stay alive to be useful.

As I mentioned on Test, I will be picking Nualsa based on the info that we can obtain the other generals through the merchant soemtime afterwards. If I end up with 1/1/1 that's great and the primary aim, I'm however gambling at getting 2/1/1 (aka we get to buy 1 of each and the calander one being a bonus), at which point I have more use for more Nukealsa than Vargus or Anslem, as the latter too are virtually staying alive anyhow most of the time.

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceruhe View Post
    Your arguments are valid as a whole, but off for this topic. It was expressly stated by Evil why he picks Vargus based on the most common/frequently done adventures as far as Ali Babas go. Talking about finer details about every Gens use ought to be placed into another topic as not to derail this one (well, it has been already hehe).
    Given that the title of the thread is Anslem vs Vargus, I'm not sure how preferring Anslem and giving examples of why derails the topic. Seems to me additional data on the topic enhances it rather than detracts from it. I wish more people would contribute valid data to this thread so there was one place to go for someone needing help making a decision, rather than random topics all over the forum.
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Perwyn View Post
    Given that the title of the thread is Anslem vs Vargus, I'm not sure how preferring Anslem and giving examples of why derails the topic. Seems to me additional data on the topic enhances it rather than detracts from it. I wish more people would contribute valid data to this thread so there was one place to go for someone needing help making a decision, rather than random topics all over the forum.
    I see where you are both coming from.

However, evilj gave total numbers for an adventure.

It might be more worthwhile and comparable to analyse a complete adventure.

Given your numbers lets say anslem saves 100R on those 3 camps. But Vargus whips Anslem and saves a total of 500 more recruits among the other 20 camps you have to attack. I would say that vargus actually is better.

You cant just look at a few camps i think a better idea would be received from looking at a adventure as a whole.

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbobdog View Post
    It might be more worthwhile and comparable to analyse a complete adventure.
    You're right. I'm working on the entire VLT adventure. Halfway thru, it's looking like Anslem will be better for Tailors, Vargus for Ali's. Will post complete results when done, might be a while yet.

Edited to include link.

Here's a link to a Googledoc of the VLT attacks. Enjoy!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    So Anslem's skill "force accuracy" will make enemies less likely to hit?

Settler
    World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Perwyn View Post
    You're right. I'm working on the entire VLT adventure. Halfway thru, it's looking like Anslem will be better for Tailors, Vargus for Ali's. Will post complete results when done, might be a while yet.

Edited to include link.

Here's a link to a Googledoc of the VLT attacks. Enjoy!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    So I also took a look at VLT with the gens. here are the final results i found. Granted maybe i missed a better set up but i think this is pretty close.

Anslem saved 367R 129M 20S (396 minutes)
    Vargus saved 117R 103M 14S (224 minutes)

So in the case of VLT yes Anslem wins with savings of 170 minutes total or about 3 hours. I dont feel that the savings are as big as percentage of total losses as the savings on the ali babas.

Good Citizen Award Recipient Domesday's Avatar
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_J View Post
    as i mentioned, anslem being used in more camps is a big turn down to me. i always bring extra troops to send attacks to multiple camps at once, specially on adventures with long walks like 3rd thief or wisdom...speaking of wisdom, i divided in top and bottom halfs to run it faster, but personally i plan to do a mix of vargus attacks plus a small cat on C4 (as i already do)

im not sure what you mean as using anslem in more camps if hours saved in barracks is not that important, thats the point actually....i know people that just care to reduce losses to lower costs, thus neglecting speed....vargus will save more troops and allow advs to be ran faster, on babas that is
    Agreed. Gotta factor in Speed if I wanna get that fancy ship before I am six feet under!
    Domesday
    Guild Leader Emeritus
    Sammy's Lost Legion
    "I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free."
    Nikos Kazantzakis

Reply to Thread