Reply to Thread

Thread: Chat Window Hides Visitor Avatar

Noble
    World
    Zeus

Chat Window Hides Visitor Avatar

When the chat window and friends/guild list are expanded the Avatar of a visiting player is hidden behind the chat window. This thread is to request for a new or modified method for displaying the icons of avatars visiting another player's island.

It is easy to not notice that you have a visitor because the icon is hidden. Often, by the time you collapse the windows, scroll over the name, find the name in your friends list, then click on whisper, they are gone. Then you don't know if you should say hello seeing as they are already gone, it's all very inconvenient.

Now comes the tough criticisms, this design oversight was being discussed 4 years ago. I've missed so many players who visited my island I cannot even begin to count how many and i may never know what opportunities were missed because they left before I could say hello.

If anyone has any ideas on how to design this change please feel free to reply to this thread.

Thank you

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    This happens, you may already know, because you either run the game not maximized, because your device has a resolution lower than the minimum required, or maybe using some kind of post processing/scaling to merge pixels (and make screen bigger on higher resolutions, like OSX's "retina" display does.

I have two screens, one 2560x1440 and the other just 1366x768. Seems minimum window height to see the visitors' avatar would be something near 1024, i.e. a 1080p (full-hd) screen would be required to avoid issues viewing the visitors' avatar.

One thing that can be done your side without the need of a full feature development would be to overscale your screen. Some people do this to get better graphics on some games. For example, if your screen is just 1366x768, then you can set the "virutal" resolution to something like HD (1920x1080) that will likely fix this issue. By the other hand, text may become hard to read, so some trial-and-error may be needed here.

Well, if you have this problem just because you run the game in non-fullscreen nor maximized mode, I'm afraid this is not supposed to work at all. With windows that low in height, you also can't expand the settings pane below the avatar and interact with it.

Now, you don't really state why you get this problem, but seem to be under this issue for past 4 years... The following may be taken as a rough comment but, don't take it too seriously or bad... maybe it is time to upgrade your computer screen (or whole computer if that's a laptop).

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    Just checked here: Minimum design window height would be 768. Probably designed to screens 1024x768, so even in my 1366x768 -- if maximized and with setting tools and friends list collapsed -- I can see the visitors. But yes, the friends' lower pane is probably the main problem here, and maybe easiest fix for you (keeping it collapsed).

So one of the problems would be the friends list. This probably has come later in the game and forced requirement for a screen height above 768 pixels. I find the 1366x768 screen virtually unplayable -- personal opinion -- I use it just to let the game sit, enough just for chat, not for playing.

Noble
    World
    Zeus
    If it wouldn't be too much trouble could you upload a screen shot? Show me how avatars are not hidden on your screen when the friends list and chat window are expanded.

Reply to Thread