Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: General Training Tips and Info

World
    Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwalben View Post
    I found fast learner on sac generals to be worth a few percent more XP considering how many sacs I do. A bit underwhelming, but if all I'm losing is a week of book production total by placing tomes that otherwise would be tossed into wasted filler spots, I see the value.
    Yeah, I agree. My sac gens will use Fast Learner as a kind of filler spot and pic up what extra XP they can that way. It's not much in the grand scheme of things, but it's kinda like tossing pocket change in a jar. After a while it does add up to something. Maybe not enough for a vacation to Maui, but enough for a decent meal out, or a large pizza with the works, plus tip for the delivery guy.
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

Soldier
    World
    Ares
    I'm not that enthusiastic on Juggernaught for the CoA gens. Their damage ranges from 750 (Vargus min) to 1500 (Nusala/Anslem max) Adding 60 to this is an increase of only 8%-4%. But realistically, what will 60 extra points get you? Probably only 1 extra enemy killed. 2 if there are a lot of weak ones, and maybe nothing if they are reasonably strong. I think we can do better than that for 3 book slots.

For Nusala, I'm looking at Rapid Fire. She is often used as a 1R sac gen, and it won't matter. But those times you use her for a 165B sac (180B with garrison Annex) this will really shine. Overall I think having the option for a Nusala bow sac that is a monster outweighs the extra 60 points on each 1R sac. I haven't done the actual math, but she might be able to replace a 250B vet sac in some of the FTs.

I'm also going to give Sniper Training a good hard look for Nusala. I know there are not a lot of people looking to sac longbowmen, but the possibilities it will open up might be worth it. It's not a big recommendation, but I think it should not be dismissed out of hand. With max Sniper Training on Nusala each LB becomes a guaranteed 69 points of splash damage on the weakest troops

For Vargus and Anslem, if I'm not doing Juggernaught I plan on using one of those slots to increase First Aid to max. Those are fighting gens, and especially on the Arabian adventures getting a few troops back each battle is very meaningful.

If you are doing Arabian adventures at all, Vargus, Anslem, and your MGs have to have Master Planner at the top level. All of the Elite troops are 90% accurate to start, so this means that all of them will be 100% and always do max damage. Having that kind of reliability is awesome.

World
    Zeus
    Good analysis Mister_Blister.

If I might add, for Nusala, since her accuracy is also 90%, 1 codex in Master Planner guarantees she will always hit for 1500 dmg rather than every once in a while hitting for 1000. Combined with rapid fire a person can know exactly how much dmg she'll do on a particular sac every single time. I already sac LB's when it's warranted anyway so why not? I've gone back and forth between giving her master planner and 1-up, and have decided to go with planner.

First aid can be a substantial benefit. 9% of 100 mounted swordsman is 9 revived, is 45 minutes barracks time saved. All my fighting gens will get max in it. It'll help the most when I run several Ali's in the same day. Since it works on sac generals too, all my sac gens will also get it at max.
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

World
    Ares
    thanks deano i didnt have a clue where to start ,you made it more simple :O)

World
    Ares
    Here are my 5 cents:
    1. I see no value in Jog and Navigation Crash Course (NCC) - we are all used to these travel times, and unless you give NCC to all your gens I don't see much value (except when you have nothing else to use for that Tier).
    2. We could all agree that Major and Vargus are the main Leader crushers, so Overrun should be a must for them (if you have to fill Tier, do the same for the other CoA).
    3. In my opinion the Lightning Slash should be a must for all First Strikers (Vargus, Nursala and MMAs) - that's twice the damage? From the info, it looks that even if it is 1R sac, they will still strike again Last Strike and do repeated damage? Or 1-Up...?
    4. For the rest choices, I'll concentrate my efforts on fast recovery (Just a Flesh Wound), troops recovery (First Aid and Hostile Takeover), XP buildup (Fast Learner) in addition to Garrison Annex and/or Confident Leader, individual choice.

Mayor
    World
    Ares
    I would have reconsidered if jog stayed where/how it started, but in the manuscript level, it's as good a way to get to the second tier as any. I had a couple hundred manuscripts and so dropped it on all my generals first thing.

I'm also skeptical about crash course, though. I immediately put it on my taverns, but I can live with 15 minutes if there are other skills that I feel would benefit me more. I'll probably pass it or maybe just do 1 filler book on my main attack generals.

Settler
    World
    Ares
    I thought I was going to be reading a quality guide by a quality player I had utmost respect for. After reading this, I realized I'm reading a noobish guide by an "experienced" player, and there seems to be a lot of lines of disagreement in terms of battle mechanics.
    To treat the Champions of Anslem generals as if they don't have precedence in destroying camps speaks volumes of ignorance of battle mechanics.
    Vargus and Anslem have more use than Major generals in all ali baba adventures. 'Master planner' supercedes lightning slash because it guarantees the high end damage for all elite troops who have 90% -- making it 100%
    Anslem lives off of battle frenzy because of how long fights last in rounds.
    overall to increase 1 troops damage by 20/40/60 damage applying 'juggernaut' rather than your entire army by 10/20/30% via 'battle frenzy' OR even adding 10/20/30 damage to cannoneers or besiegers via 'weekly maintenance' shows us how well you did in your elementary math class
    Let's increase 1 guy for 60 damage instead of possibly 50 troops or 100 troops for a bigger %

And seriously for your majors.... how are recruit mercenaries going to help your army if you can compare it to anything else. battle frenzy or weekly maintenance
    I'm sure having more dispensable of the cheapest unit in the game to make will prove more valuable than having 20 more damage per cannoneer or besieger in a fight. Or a 20% stacked boost to any fight that lasts more than 1 round

If you are going to write a guide for people to follow regarding placing books - which can take an eternity to make for most players. Make sure you are guiding everyone to a decision they won't regret down the road. Because all those people who followed your builds will regret it later.

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    1. I see no value in Jog and Navigation Crash Course (NCC) - we are all used to these travel times, and unless you give NCC to all your gens I don't see much value (except when you have nothing else to use for that Tier).
    There is plenty of value for others to decrease this painful grind of adventuring, I would've loved to have ~7min traveltimes for my fast Gens during Easter already. Also not sure how you can "justify being used to those times" yet in point 4 you focus on reducing the recovery times, you should be used to those as well then.

2. We could all agree that Major and Vargus are the main Leader crushers, so Overrun should be a must for them (if you have to fill Tier, do the same for the other CoA).
    Anslem be cursing you in the corner you put him

3. In my opinion the Lightning Slash should be a must for all First Strikers (Vargus, Nursala and MMAs) - that's twice the damage? From the info, it looks that even if it is 1R sac, they will still strike again Last Strike and do repeated damage? Or 1-Up...?
    If you consider Vargus a leader killer, it should follow that you would pick Master Planner to affect all 186/201 units instead of just 1 through Lightning Slash. Besides, if they don't live to the Last Strike Phase, they won't bring anything to the table anymore....save for any current bug that will let them attack while dead.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    I will put 1-up on my blocking generals for 6 extra 1R blocks ( eventually, next year perhaps ;-) ). Combined with Confident Leader this will open up many blocking opportunities for camps that are further away from the leader, or where the fight against the leader lasts multiple rounds. Confident leader will also help with blocks where it takes a lot of time to destroy the camp, like the witch towers in Roaring Bull.

Noble
    World
    Ares
    Just want to point out that as of the live server version, Hostile Takeover only activates when the army WINS the battle (says so right in the description). So putting it on your sac gens is 100% worthless as they aren't meant to ever win, just weaken.

Reply to Thread