Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Getting the most out of Anselm

Settler
    World
    Ares
    Unstoppable charge is a very good ability - and I agree with you Perwyn - however 90% of battles no longer require knights. It's hard to choose unstoppable charge for just about 10% of battles just to upgrade knights. Plus it only gives knights and mounted marksmen 3 more damage..... BB really needed to increase it by % because in reality its just a great boost for cavalry. I would rather have the xp and all these other abilities selected which make much better use. Personally i will have 1 or 2 vets skilled with unstoppable charge so that I can gain the advantage with knights when necessary but will mostly be for the boost to cavalry. I will have a few MMA with unstoppable charge as well. For most camps where you might see it advantageous to use knights with anslem - vargus becomes the better choice - and for all other camps that have no 'attack weakest target first strikers' MM are the elite assassins. It is a tremendous grind to get to 75 and sacrificing time or anything else for those 10% camps just doesn't pay out. In nearly all my simulations of every baba and lost city & one step ahead. I use Knights maybe 5% of the time.

World
    Zeus
    OK, so my aversion to Fast Learner and Navigation does kinda explain it then. I'm OK with limited use of Unstoppable Charge, since leveling/grinding doesn't matter much to me. I'll hit 75 one day, but am not actively working at it. Where Unstoppable Charge does apply it can save me several hours of elite barracks time each adventure. And agreed, it is great for Cav also. MMA's all have it for sacs. I think the key is putting 3 tomes in it so it's 100% chance of splash dmg.

I gave Navigation to 3 of my taverns so that my blockers arrive the same time as my fast gens. If I gave it to everybody it'd bug me to still be waiting for my blockers LOL! So it's more a matter of personal preference/goals and personality quirks

Off the topic of Anslem, I'm also finding that a properly skilled Vet with 265 is at least as powerful as an unskilled Major. It's helping speed up a few spots where previously I had to wait for a Major to get back from an attack before I could proceed.

This skill tree is pretty awesome. I hope BB is serious about giving us zone buffs to speed up walking speed on attacks soon. Then I'll be totally happy with it.
    "Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking." ~ Marcus Aurelius

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellvena View Post
    However you still fail to see the point of battle mechanics as a whole.
    Your theoretical arguments are great, but apparently you don't know how to use a simulator to find the best attack for a general. When you take a troop configuration that works for your skill set, then apply a different skill set, it will fail. A difference in 1 or 2 units can result in what you call "horrendous losses."

For the camp in the bottom example you gave (60 DuM 60 DeM 60 H 1 Myst), any skill set including Overrun, Battle Frenzy and Garrison Annex can defeat the camp with 16 MS 147 MM and a loss of 16 MS. There is no benefit from including AM instead of MM in the attack (for either skill set) and no need to lose them. What do we learn from looking closely at this example? That Lightning Slash and Master Planner are both irrelevant to Anslem's attack on this camp, but you have made it look like the attack wins with Master Planner and fails with Lightning Slash.

Second from the bottom (110 StC 100H 1 Scarred T) is indeed an example of a camp where Master Planner works better than Lightning Slash. In this case I would prefer to lose 3-4 Marksmen, which is necessary to prevent a loss of MM for either of our skill sets, then Lightning Slash just loses 3 more MS than Master Planner

But you have picked camps to support your argument, rather than comparing the best possible attack in every sitaution. You left out camps in the same adventure, Treasure of Wisdom, where Lightning Slash performs better than Master Planner.

E1 on FastSIM: 120 Horseman, 100 Mounted Bowman, 1 Treacherous Thief
    Best attack: just send a mob of MS, your skills lose 53-56 MS, my skills lose 50-54 MS.

C5 on FastSIM: 80 Sword Wielder, 80 Horseman, 80 Dune Marksman, 1 Sneaking Thief
    Your best attack: 81MS 54AM 30MM (lose 78-80 MS)
    My best attack: 74MS 34AM 54MM (lose 69-74 MS)

So why choose Lightning Slash versus Master Planner? It depends on your strategy and how you want to use Anslem.

Hellvena's strategy is better for short combat of 1 or 2 rounds. Anslem is great at handling some of these camps, but my reasoning is we can equip other generals to handle them also. Vargus deals with some of them better than Anslem, or nearly as well. But when Anslem is still the best choice in these situations, Master Planner is more likely to give him an edge. That might be your preference.

My strategy is better for combat lasting 3 rounds or more, like the two camps indicated above. That's the point of this guide. I have concentrated on skills that allow him to outshine the Major at killing tough boss camps like no other general can do. In these situations, regardless of how you think combat mechanics should work, Lightning Slash begins performing better than Master Planner and is more likely to give him an edge.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Perwyn View Post
    I find it interesting that both of you skip Unstoppable Charge.
    Well, I tried it out along with all the other combat skills on various Ali Baba camps. Honestly, I was expecting better results, but I didn't see enough benefit for what I wanted to do with Anslem. I'm with Hellvena on this one: I plan to give it to one or two other generals for handling situations where Knights are called for.

As for Nav, I'm only going to use two books at most on the big generals, 3 on taverns. So far I have two on Anslem, Vargus and Nusala, which I like because in some adventures (especially Wisdom) they can arrive early and clear a bunch of camps before the other generals arrive. Then I'm ready to set up a double block to kill two more leaders and finish the first sector. I'm not keen on grinding through a lot of adventures either, but I do like how Nav and Jog let me finish one more quickly.

And because I adventure more casually, I appreciate the extra experience. I only have Fast Learner on Anslem (2x), Vargus (3x) and one Major (3x) so far, and I'm impressed with the boost.

Settler
    World
    Ares
    It's funny how you chose those 2 camps from Wisdom, that's where I utilize my 8 MMA and Nusala to assist with sacks for those 2 camps so my losses shrink drastically.
    And by the way - for the E1 120 H 100 MB 1 Treacherous Thief - I use 28 MS 48 K & 93 B after sacking 4 MMA to take out 40 Horsemen.
    Plus the C5 - Utilize Nusala and about 2 MMA to take out Dune Marksmen then Anslem can finish the camp with 28 MS 27 MM 60 A

Wisdom is not the only baba out there. And my conclusion for the skill set came after simulating all Anslem preferred camps from Lost City, One Step Ahead & every Baba out there except besieged city, sea snake, and knowledge. Although your preference might be great for few fights about 5 or 10%, it also leans more towards the longer combat rounds. And there are few situations where it doesn't help you at all in tight block situations where Anslem is the optimal choice to wipe out the leader. And sure someone can use your skill tree to find the best attack, but it'll pale in comparison to the losses they would have to accumulate compared to my setup. Just take the example with the Informant - if the fight lasts another round - Informant will kill additional 18 MS - and if you equip 18 MS over 18 A - Stone Cannon will survive and do 2700 splash damage on top of the Informant killing 18 more MS the next round. The fight basically fails at that point and you have to choose the Major to lose alot more MS in the end.

In any case I feel like arguing with you is pointless. Your mostly stubborn in your own point of view.
    Bottom line is lightning slash works great for Anslem, but it doesn't give a better edge than Master Planner.
    When you ever get to oil lamp or princess - it's prefferred to have Anslem give 120+ besiegers 100% output of 200 damage against Steersman over a bonus 1000 damage for himself. Although the overall result of those battles with either setup is a minuscule difference if there is any at all.

My overall goal is to always save the most troops and procure the least surmountable losses. This is always heavily favored during events especially when marathons are on the hour & time is too precious to waste

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    In any case I feel like arguing with you is pointless. Your mostly stubborn in your own point of view.
    A mirror comes to mind haha
    You guys are presenting both arguments to support your own builds with your own "cherrypicked" camps and examples and that's just that. If you really "want to get somewhere" you'd need to sim all relevant camps (as in must be cleared, not optional), with Anslem both setups and the most common alternative to compare the things, after that you can meta down on unpopular adventures and so on....but that's work. Alot.

Soldier
    World
    Zeus
    What an outstanding analysis, Erevan--thank you so much! I am taking your advice. Greatly appreciate the effort you put into this.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    After working for a while on recommendations for other generals, I've decided instead to concentrate for now on a series of guides each including a breakdown of the best generals and combat skills for key camps within one adventure. Hopefully this will provide more objective data to help players decide how to train their generals, for those of us who like to think for ourselves and be creative! As Ceruhe suggested, this is slow, painstaking work, but I want to find out for myself anyway, so I might as well share the information. I've finished one adventure, but want to wait to post them when I have at least two or three, because the evidence from each is probably skewed in favour of certain skills -- in other words, misleading. But stay tuned. Thanks to all who have expressed interest in this guide, either here or elsewhere.

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Erevan View Post
    In researching this guide, I used FastSIM (https://settlersonlinemaps.com/fastsim.php?LangCode=2) to test various combinations of attack skills for Anslem on different camps. Then I chose one camp to use as an example. I present this before the new skills tree is introduced in the hope it will shed light on the opportunities. The simulations can’t show how non-combat skills affect game play. However, in my opinion Anslem benefits from the strongest possible combat skills. Since we can simulate these, they provide a valuable test case.
    I'm new to that sim but i'm assuming for best attack simulation it doesn't allow multiple waves?

Recruit
    World
    Zeus
    It seems like everyone loves Jog, I guess because the people who write guides really love this game. I'm usually playing 4-5 games at the same time so saving 30 seconds of travel time isn't noticed by me. Also if your taking jog, then you need it for all your gens, since you have 3-4 gens coming back at the same time and needing to be moved again. If you have 15 gens and can set up the next set of blocks quest, then it will save you 4-5 minutes per adventure, if you actually paying attention to the game that much.
    I think that making your bowmen better is the better choice because there are many sac times that ask for bows and when you send 150 that sac can become really nasty, and with first aid then you only lose 135.

Reply to Thread