Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Getting the most out of Anselm

Recruit
    World
    Ares
    Quote Originally Posted by Star_Lord View Post
    Also if your taking jog, then you need it for all your gens
    Not at all. Jog can make a big difference if you only put it on the generals that move around the most. For me that includes my main attack generals (majors, Anslem, Vargus, and one vet trained to specialize in killing camps that require no losses), and several of the tavern generals I use repeatedly for blockers. Those are the generals you spend the most time waiting for. Especially on many of the Ali Babas that have long attacks, having Jog on these generals saves more than a few minutes of adventure times. Treasure of Wisdom, which used to take me at least 2.5 hours I can now finish (from when I send the generals) in under 2, and I am not a fast player. I know people who are finishing it in 90 minutes. It has also allowed me to shave Wood Cutter to under an hour.

You don't need Jog on sac generals that get used only once or twice in most adventures. I have the odd situation where I have to wait a minute for MMAs to catch up, but they don't slow the game down appreciably. But I can imagine it trying some players' patience. Rapid Fire is certainly an excellent skill for at least some of those generals. I haven't trained most of my MMAs yet, but intend to give most of them Rapid Fire and First Aid.

Anslem isn't a sac general. If you're using him that way, his best skills are going to waste. He's a killer. On some adventures Anslem is good for a 1R sac at the very end if there's a camp with no first strike units. Nusala and MMAs are better generals for bow sacs.

World
    Ares
    We should cherrypick when deciding how to train our specialized generals. Anslem is the best general for killing many of those tough camps with bosses and other leaders.
    and
    he outperforms all the other gens when attacking boss camps.
    Out of the 3 when 1st offered on live game, I chose Anslem by its specs. I do not play as much, and this genl suits my game style. It is 1st out to adv. and my preferred genl. Skills made it #1 genl of choice ... Anslem has been last genl finish all my extended isl camps, (after 1r w/MMA's).
    Thanks for this info ! Appreciated...
    Smiles,
    Asia

Settler
    World
    Ares
    After much consideration I wound up building Anslem's skillset with Lightning Slash and I haven't regretted it at all.

It's been very useful to have him booked so differently than Vargus and I continue to find ways to apply him better than guides are being written for other skillsets with him. While it takes more time to sim all these differently skilled generals for attacks, I am having a lot of fun with this particular element of the game. I'm so glad that they got it in place.

World
    Zeus
    All of these comparisons and back and forth about losses per camp etc, not one of you guys EVER considered sacs to reduce losses or to compensate for the extra losses on the camps in which your skill tree pales to another one.

Let me just say that you are gimped from the very beginning using Wiki guides because well, they are absolute crap and unless you do the painstaking work to actually design your own attacks for which troops to use per camp for the lowest losses (or the cheapest troops lost over the more expensive ones) then you are relying on the designs of the people who built the guides on wiki (which I have ALWAYS found to lose LOADS more troops then I EVER do on ANY map) and sac gens are there for a reason, USE THEM, it saves overall losses.

with all your comparisons per camp, not one of you ever mentioned your actual ending losses per MAP, displaying 5 camps out of 40, does absolutely nothing for your comparison, you need to do entire maps, then compare the final results. there is no "this skill tree is best" because if you have the playstyle of using massive sacs or you have the playstyle of using none, or the playstyle of using blocks or the playstyle of using none, and so on, then the skill tree of the generals need to suit your particular methods and playstyles.

When I do VLT's I lose roughly 2600r, 340B and 150LB in total and none of my generals are FULLY booked, actually none of them are even beyond the 2nd tier yet (due to lack of books), now if I fully skilled my gens I could greatly reduce those losses (maybe even my 60%), so when you are talking about losing Elite Soldiers, Cavs, Soldiers, etc I am looking and shaking my head because with these "super skill trees" and losing ANY of these troops, then you have already failed from the beginning because you have not done your homework to reduce the production time of recovering troops. Since I managed to build my own guides where I only lose cheap quick building troops like Recruits, Bowmen and Longbowmen.

I have yet to get into doing Bamas and such but I will do the same as I do with FT's, I will work tirelessly to design a guide to produce the lowest losses of the cheapest troops possible without compromising and saying well, it's ok to lose this amount because "hey my skill tree is the best". Utilize your Sac's and your debate of who's tree is better with the one top skill choice goes right out the window

Veteran General
    World
    Ares
    All of these comparisons and back and forth about losses per camp etc, not one of you guys EVER considered sacs to reduce losses or to compensate for the extra losses on the camps in which your skill tree pales to another one.
    Incorrect assumption. Many people use sacs and tweak guides to their needs so long as they know what they are doing, others will just follow guides and us talking about sacs will be rather moot to the conversation. The ones that know how to tweak etc will most likely use Evil's guide and go from there or pick up certain variations from other guides. Wiki guides are a joke to any of us who do tweak to our needs, so again talking about sacs for this and that becomes fairly moot again, mostly because it's highly individualistic, meaning, amount of time/desire to adventure/losses/amount of MMAs/blabla changes for just about everyone. Take Evil again as an example, he will usually not bring all MMAs to the party just for random sacs to reduce sacs a little, he places them where he _needs_ them or it makes a huge difference to Barracks time, which is one of his focuses besides doing the adventure in 1 sitting, which also means he may have C/M/S or MM/AM/B losses. I on the other hand will make use of MMAs to min/max so long as it makes sense and doesn't drain my motivation, C/M/S or MM/AM/B losses on the other hand are unacceptable to me, although MM/AM/B are pretty much cheaper than Milita. Consider it not wanting to need to pay attention to my standing army and save me the headache.

not one of you ever mentioned your actual ending losses per MAP, displaying 5 camps out of 40, does absolutely nothing for your comparison
    The question is, why can you make that statement, while simultaneously writing (and properly understood)
    there is no "this skill tree is best" because if you have the playstyle of
    What's the point of stating that my VLT only takes 120R while the other one takes 2000R? Especially if there is a 10 day completion difference. If you are willing to milk the time on the adventures, you can reduce losses towards 0 just about anywhere. But since time and priorities are different, there is this unspoken rule of "guide can be done in 1 sitting if you got the same amount of Generals and troops as me".
    What you do from there on in is up to your play style alright. My current rule is to not throw 12 generals 1R blocking a camp (C3 Woodcutter) to save 1 camp worth of troops. That's too much headache for me nowadays, I probably would've done that in the past, but it wasn't possible back then.

When I do VLT's I lose rough.ly 2600r, 340B and 150LB
    Don't know my current numbers, but I only ever lose Recruits in all adventures before and up to FTs. Not withstanding some blocks due to uncanny valley of cutting it too close, but with the skills I can account for that several times over, primarily Overrun for all I'm concerned about besides the other goodies.
    See the "problem" with comparing ending losses per map when we are all just adjusting to our personal play styles? Comparing certain camps makes this a bit more worthwhile as there usually are these "certain" camps that are a (huge) road block where it's about time vs losses vs expensive troops. Pick C3 Woodcutter again. Throw 8 MMAs and Nusala here and then use Anslem/Major/Vargus here? Sac 4 into C3 and then Vargus? Then sac 2 into C6 and Vargus again or rather 6 into C3? There is a trade off that can be considered on certain camps. For example, it makes more sense to throw more Sacs into C3 than C6...it simply depends on the composition of the camp, thus talking certain camps may make more sense, everyone can still adjust their own play style regardless. I haven't re-read this topic to remember if I am, eh, ranting about the correct thing, but....nuance!

I will work tirelessly to design a guide to produce the lowest losses of the cheapest troops possible without compromising and saying well,
    Should I level you up already or do you want to experience the revelation for yourself once the time arrives ^^?

World
    Zeus
    As said in my previous post, I do not have my gens fully booked, specially when I have over 30 of them to deal with, so I have done my best to maximize efficiancy throughout all of the gens I use the most for the Adv's I do the most (which currently is VLT) However, after simulating multiple Anslem attacks on A12, using fully booked skills, getting that camp killed in a one strike hit with 87r loss total is extremely noteworthy (most likely the skill tree I personally will set up)

The only guide I use or recommend using (specially when wanting options to choose from and openings for improvements/adjustments to suit your own style) is settlersonlinemaps.com guides, I always recommend taking a stab at designing your own guide for a map because what suits one player may not suit another player. As for expediency of doing maps, I always finish maps in one sitting (unless life gets in the way), I design my guides for not only speed, but for loss reduction, I can live with a guide taking an extra 10 mins to save me 2 hours of production in barracks.

To use Outlaws as an example, I have that map down to 45 mins (from adv launch to clicking the complete button, without any skills in fast travel to adventure on any general) with an avg of 150r loss only (143-165 being the range), I use that map as an example because I lived on that map during the Halloween event pretty much to maximize event and thats when I decided to start publicly producing my own guides for use by others.

opting to lose 75LB to save 600r is much more preferable to me as well as losing 90b to save 500r (production time in the barracks is shorter) specially when considering I still have yet to fully skill up all of my gens to max.

But like I said, comparison of a single camp or 3-4 specific camps is not gonna show one skill tree being better than another when there are so many camps to take into consideration while skilling a gen, not to mention comparing other skill trees of other generals which may make that camp easier for the general you are comparing. When setting up a skill tree for a general, it is a bad idea to do each one as if you only have that one general, it's more efficient and profitable to take into consideration the other generals you have (or will have) and how their skill trees will assist you to be more efficient within your maps. So again, there is no one skill tree set-up that is better than another when all aspects have been taken into consideration.

Reply to Thread